Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Steelers defense about to set franchise record

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
JV and high school quarterbacks =/= NFL talent quarterbacks in terms of how hard they're throwing that ball. They're corners because they're fast and agile, but also have the knack for dropping the ball. If they had the talent to catch, they'd be WRs.

You realize our secondary was ranked first in terms of pass yardage allowed, right? All without Polamalu. Also, regarding Woodley only having a limited amount of sacks - there's two reasons for this. One, early in the year he was getting triple-teamed because Harrison couldn't generate any pressure on the right side. I'd like to see any OLB fight through a triple team and get consistent pressure and/or sacks. Secondly, he's been hurt on-and-off for the majority of the year.

I'm not even going to comment on the overrated defense because it's a ridiculous thing to say.
I would like to see game tape were Woodley was getting tripled becsuse I dont recall seeing that.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I would like to see game tape were Woodley was getting tripled becsuse I dont recall seeing that.
Go watch the first three games of the season again. It's more apparent in the Jets game which can be attributed to their horrible offensive line, but nonetheless, he was in fact triple teamed.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Not a good one.

This and last year's defenses are the most overrated in Steeler history. Contain, umbrella, prevent, and a paucity of big plays.

The Steelers swiped nine passes in the 11-game 1940 season that stands as their low-water mark, according to research by Steelers Digest. Unless they come up with two more over the next three games -- a big order for them the past two seasons -- they will go down in history as the worst team in the 80 years of the franchise at picking off passes.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2F2CsCWAF
Big cushions and no one rushing will result in few INTs.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Also, regarding Woodley only having a limited amount of sacks - there's two reasons for this. One, early in the year he was getting triple-teamed because Harrison couldn't generate any pressure on the right side. I'd like to see any OLB fight through a triple team and get consistent pressure and/or sacks.
Woodley was not triple-teamed. He is rarely doubled.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,374 Times in 4,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Woodley was not triple-teamed. He is rarely doubled.
Again, he really, really was. They could take Harrison one-on-one early in the season, and had the RG and RT take Woodley while having Greene chip Woodley and get out into the flat. It happened more than once during the Jets game. Pin the blame on who you will - Hood and Keisel not generating pressure, Hampton not requiring double-teams, Harrison being injured, etc. - but even when he wasn't 100% they still recognized that he requires to be at least doubled. When he wasn't, he got to Sanchez all game.

When he has a healthy hammy, he's one of the best LOLB in the NFL.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Again, he really, really was. They could take Harrison one-on-one early in the season, and had the RG and RT take Woodley while having Greene chip Woodley and get out into the flat. It happened more than once during the Jets game. Pin the blame on who you will - Hood and Keisel not generating pressure, Hampton not requiring double-teams, Harrison being injured, etc. - but even when he wasn't 100% they still recognized that he requires to be at least doubled. When he wasn't, he got to Sanchez all game.

When he has a healthy hammy, he's one of the best LOLB in the NFL.
I never saw him being triple-teamed, but I generally agree with what you are saying. I don't think we even had Harrison for the Jets game did we? Is my memory that flawed?......getting old.

Would be nice to have both Woodley and Harison at 100% or near it, and on the field at the same time for a change. haven't felt that buzz since early 2010.

Harrison is geting there, but since now Woodley has been out, Harrison has been getting the usual double-team/armbar/chokehold.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
This is true. Lewis and Ike are absolutely terrible at catching the ball. I don't understand why these guys especially Ike can't develop that part of his game.
It's not just that, it's the scheme. They're coached to "tackle the catch". Trying to think of an INT where someone jumped a route. I remember a couple overthrows that Clark caught. One got tipped right to a LB, too.

And then there are fumbles. 4 or 5 recoveries all year. You never see people ripping at the ball or putting a hat on it.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

It ALL boils down to pressure on the QB. Doesn't even need to be a sack - just constant, unstoppable, pissed-off mayhem. When the front side of the defense does this, turnovers follow.

Unfortunately, this defense is either too old, too injured, or too inexperienced to create that mayhem. Mean & nasty playmakers are needed to resurrect the D.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Not being able to catch is only a small part of the lack of turnovers problem. The real issue the last 2 years has been that we simply don't produce pressure anymore.
We used to force a QB into bad throws, sack fumbles, and if he did complete one, someone was there to separate man from ball immediately.

The problem is pressure and not having our playmakers on the field together, healthy. In the last 30 games over the past 2 seasons, I'm not sure if we've had our 3 "playmakers" on the field together healthy for even 1 game. (Harrison, Polamalu, Woodley).
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Woodley gets doubled and occasionally triple teamed when he rushes. Problem is they have him in coverage 75% of the time so unless your watching closing you won't see it. As for the CB's not being able to catch the ball, I guess that's why they are CB's. What's really irritating is that Wallace's hands are worse then their's. There's no question the tremendous lack of TO's over the last 2 years have killed us, and there's no one explanation. Bottom line is the entire defense plays like shit unless they get totally pumped up for a game like the Ravens and Giants, then they are one of the best in the league. A good coach should not have an inconsistent team when that team is made up of mostly veteran players who have won championships.