Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,595 Times in 829 Posts
Default Re: Strategy for Sunday

It is a road game and Ben still needs to get up to game speed. He pretty much was there in the 2nd half and late in the game vs the Chargers but now it is back to a week without seeing game speed. So....

Offense

I think you want a long first drive. It doesn't necessarily have to put up 7 points (would be nice) but it needs to be sustained. Take the crowd out early. Cowboys are fighting for a playoff birth and the fans should be energized. To do that I think you need to come out passing. Our ground game has been inconsistent and we want our best chance of success quickly.

We have 2 rookies on one side so you need to go Shotgun and have Heath chipping and then hitting the flats or have a back in to block. You could even alternate to keep them off balance. Have the back swing out to catch or straight up the middle to find a place to sit and wait for some short 5-7 yard passes while Heath stays to help the rookies.

As far as receivers I am looking for 2 things. Sanders and Plaxico. Sanders has the hot hand right now and has been a great weapon for Batch and Leftwich and I can't see any reason it won't work for Ben. Plaxico I am looking at his height. If Ben is still a bit rusty he has the height with Burress so he can still let loose and if it flys a little high Plax can get it.

We use the above to open up the running game. Get our rookies comfortable with some help and then let them grind some. Once the defense is setting back a little hit them with some draws and maybe some off tackle runs.

IMO this is the ideal way to go for us. Get Ben up to 100% confidence, get the rookies comfortable and then let em all rip.

Defense

I will keep this one simple. Keep Troy out of the box and let him support the CB's. Our LB's are capable of stepping up and doing their job. Timmons is hot right now and Foote is always good if not great. Woodley is back (I think) and Cowboys line is kind of soft. Him and Harrison need to get hot about now to. So yeah, leave Troy back with Clark to support the CB's and give Romo hell in deciding where to go with it. Force mistakes.

Maybe if we get a 10-14 point lead and things look comfortable we can apply more pressure and let our CB's workd.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,841 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Simple question: what should the Steeler's offensive and defensive gameplan be for Sunday's game against the Cowboys?
Simple answer:

Offense:

Score more points than Dallas

Defense:

Keep Dallas from scoring more points than us.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Hope that our wideouts come through for once!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Press coverage and get after Romo. If LeBeau plays his typical soft zone with a three man rush, Romo will do what Palmer, Rivers, and others have done - pick it apart 8 yards at a time.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

its always the same. Win the battle in the trenches and avoid turnovers. We need to get pressure on Romo. If not he will pick apart the banged up secondary. Romo is usually good for a couple of turnovers as well. Hopefully Timmons can hang with Witten and Bryant is hobbled. It would be nice to win the next two and rest some starters against the Browns.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Simple question: what should the Steeler's offensive and defensive gameplan be for Sunday's game against the Cowboys?

My take (played from 4th - 11th grade, but admittedly am no offensive/defensive mastermind):

Defense

The largest personnel issue facing us for this game, IMHO, is our lack of healthy CBs. If I am not mistaken, we have a dinged-up Keenan, two guys we promoted from the practice squad, and guy we signed off the street about 8 days ago to work with. That's not so good. If they could not cover Spurlock, then Dez Bryant (if he plays), Austin, and Witten will provide them with an even greater challenge.

Romo will likely try to test the corners early. We may want to emphasize disguising our blitzes and mix in some soft zones with the OLBs to take away some of the comeback routes on the sidelines. Of course, that could offset the benefits we gain from rushing the shiate out of Romo instead.

Or float Polamalu around underneath to pick off deflected passes as long as they don't go to the middle of the field much-- Ryan Clark should be able to cover the middle if they try to go to the sidelines like Rivers did.

Murray is hot and cold, but I am thinking with only 1 healthy CB, Dallas is going to go to the air and only use their ground game to try and keep the defense on edge. In past years, Murray and the Dallas ground game would not even count as an afterthought-- Aaron Smith and Kiesel would make it disappear. But not so sure now....

Offense

The Chargers provided a blueprint of sorts on how to stop Big Ben last week.

Ironic, we basically adopted the Patriots' dink-n-dunk offense this season, and the Chargers used our gameplan that we used to beat the Pats last year (err.....2010), against us and it worked. They played press coverage, and rushed everybody at Ben.

The Cowboys will probably try that too. They are looking at our ramshackle Oline and salivating probably. Lets hope DeCastro plays as well as he was in the preseason-- they could use the boost up front. WIth their NT out for the year, this could balance out.

If our Oline wins the battle in the trenches, this game is over by halftime. The Cowboys pass defense ranks #8 right now, but I do think they are a tad bit overrated, and if Ben has anytime at all-- he should be able to carve them up like a turkey. Glad Jerr-reh will be able to watch it on his 60-yard television screen.

The Steelers need to find some success in the run game to keep their pass rush honest. Dwyer is due for a big game (hopefully), and with their NT out, maybe Pouncey and DeCastro can open some holes for Redman/Dwyer to plow through.

And if Dallas does start to get carried away with their pass rush, they need to free up Heath as a safety valve. It is a crying shame to see him being used as an extended RT.

Special Teams

Keep doing what they have been doing-- minus the retarded penalties. Our returners have been getting fantasic returns but 90% of the time, they get negated by a boneheaded holding penalty.

That needs to stop, and our special teams will become a potent weapon in games where our offense may be struggling.
Defense
I agree with you right now the DB's are the biggest concern and will be tested. There are different ways to protect them and LeBeau will have to mix it up to try and keep Romo guessing.
One way is to have the corners jam the WR at the line, play in the trail position and have Ryan and Troy over the top.
Another is to play that soft zone everyone hates. Romo loves throwing to the sideline so you have your OLB drop into coverage. This will help the corners keep the play in front of them and react to the ball.On these you could add a safety or corner blitz. Problem is if you guess wrong or the pressure doesn't get there it will likely lead to giving up a big play.
Lastly, utilize all of your blitzes, including the corner blitz.. You have to keep Romo in the pocket though because, like Ben, he is at his best on the move. Staying out of 3rd and managable will also go along way in helping these guys because then Lebeau can use his whole arsenal.
I still haven't seen if Dez is playing. If he isn't I am confident that Keenan can handle Austin one on one which would allow the safety to roll help to the other corner. If Dez is playing I honestly am not confident he can be handled man to man very often. He is just too physical for any of our DB's.

Offense
Not only have the cowboys lost their nose tackle but I believe also both of their ILB. They are extremely vulnerable on runs between the tackles, which benefits the running style of both Dwyer and Redman. I also like the match up of our WR vs their DB's. I believe a balanced attack is the best option this week. Then again if one is working better than the other they should obviously rely more on that. Staying out of 3rd and long will be key. They have guys on the ends that can get after the QB as well as anyone.
This being a copy cat league it would not surprise me to see the cowboys try to do the same thing the chargers did last week and blitz often. Last week the chargers killed the steelers on A gap blitzes. Ben has to be able to audible out of these and utilize Heath on quick hitters up the seam.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Let James crack a few skulls then everything else will go back to normal.

I hate this flag football bullshit.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote