Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Steelers defense about to set franchise record

its not only picking off passes.

I know we're a good "tackling" team and the team is taught to "get them DOWN"....but they're no stripping the ball either....zero. We don't cause fumbles near as much as we should. Watch teams such as Chicago and NE. Every tackle they're clawing, reaching, poking, trying to strip. I sure wish we did that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
its not only picking off passes.

I know we're a good "tackling" team and the team is taught to "get them DOWN"....but they're no stripping the ball either....zero. We don't cause fumbles near as much as we should. Watch teams such as Chicago and NE. Every tackle they're clawing, reaching, poking, trying to strip. I sure wish we did that.
...and any good ball carrier will keep right on running while their going after the ball. It's not like it used to be where one guy could stand the ball carrier up and the next guy strip the ball, that's a flag and a fine now. If I had to choose I'd rather the defense absolutely smoother an opponent and get turnovers second. Yeah, both would be great. I'll take a shut down defense over one that goes for luck and can be beat by luck too. We may not have either option with the backups to the backups playing in the secondary.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
It's not just that, it's the scheme. They're coached to "tackle the catch". Trying to think of an INT where someone jumped a route. I remember a couple overthrows that Clark caught. One got tipped right to a LB, too.

And then there are fumbles. 4 or 5 recoveries all year. You never see people ripping at the ball or putting a hat on it.
Yes that is true but I recall several occasions this year where balls have been thrown directly to our CBs and they just plainly muffed it and dropped the ball. That is the most infuriating thing. I believe that it even cost us a game.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #24
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I love Woodley, his play has been great this year. But LOL at him being triple-teamed. Seriously, I don't think that ever happened unless it was an accidental mixup on some play, and maybe it caught Canada's eye and he overinterpreted.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #25
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,609 Times in 4,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I love Woodley, but LOL at him being triple-teamed. That never happened.
It hasn't happened since early in the season when Harrison was ineffective. RG, RT and the RB would chip and head to the flat. While that may not be 'triple-teamed' as I might have suggested, it's three guys at one point being on Woodley. Call it what you will, but Harrison was getting one-on-one and Woodley required the attention of three separate guys.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,481 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Yes that is true but I recall several occasions this year where balls have been thrown directly to our CBs and they just plainly muffed it and dropped the ball. That is the most infuriating thing. I believe that it even cost us a game.
our CBs having hands of stone did cost us a game, if Keenan Lewis makes that interception we beat the Titans.