Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,842 Times in 6,092 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Scenarios, scenarios

Steelers control their own fate

Posted by Teresa Varley on December 13, 2012

With just three games remaining the Steelers find themselves controlling their own fate as far as the postseason goes, with this Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys the first step.

If the Steelers win out, they would secure a wild card playoff spot and still could win the AFC North division, depending on how the Baltimore Ravens finish out the season.

“These next few games we are in control of the rest of our journey,” said running back Jonathan Dwyer. “It’s a big emphasis for us to get this win, not just because of the situation, but because it’s the next game.

“I think there is a sense of urgency just because you want to win. We are still the same guys, the atmosphere is the same. But it’s December football. We know how important that is. You can tell from all of the guys. Coach (Mike) Tomlin doesn’t have to say anything. It just what it is.”

When December football rolls around, for teams in the playoff race, things escalate. The intensity picks up with more on the line and like Dwyer said, there is no need to preach the importance of games, especially with a veteran team that has been to the playoffs.

“December is the most important month of the season,” said receiver Plaxico Burress. “You want to be coming together and building a stretch run to get into the playoffs. You want to gather that confidence. We wanted to go out and win that game last week, but right now is a time we really want to be on the rise.

“We have a tough game in Dallas this weekend and then two home games. It’s a great opportunity for us to finish strong. As Coach Tomlin says the eventual world champion usually isn’t losing any more games at this point of the season. Guys understand the sense of urgency to go out and win this game and get on a run. It’s all about who gets hot this time of year. I have seen some crazy things happen and we definitely have the talent to do it. We just need to focus and make it happen.”

Houston, New England and Denver have already clinched playoff spots, but three spots remain in the AFC with Baltimore, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, New York and the Steelers leading the way for those last spots.

“We need to win every game,” said receiver Mike Wallace. “We don’t have time to lose a game and look around. When you look at the reality of things and the stretch, there are teams with the same or better record than us so we have to continue to handle what we can. As long as we handle our business, you don’t have to worry about what other teams do.”

The Steelers remaining schedule includes the Cowboys this week on the road, and then home games against AFC North rivals Cincinnati and Cleveland. If the Steelers are going to make the playoffs, getting hot now is a must.

“At this point of the season you have to start feeling it, get that second wind,” said Burress. “Everyone is looking to make it to the playoffs. Everyone is eyeing that trophy. Everyone is chasing it. Games are tougher now because teams know how critical they are.

“We just have to focus on us. If we go and win out, we don’t have anything to worry about and we don’t have to look over our shoulder. If we finish out strong we can write our own story.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/13/...r-own-destiny/
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If the Ravens lose out and we win out, we take the division.
We could lose to Dallas and win our last 2 games and still win the division if the Ravens lose out.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Once again. What happens tommorrow doesn't even matter.

If the Steelers beat Cincinnati and Cleveland to close out the season, they take the #6 seed. It doesn't even matter what the other teams do. The Steelers are in the playoffs.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Once again. What happens tommorrow doesn't even matter.

If the Steelers beat Cincinnati and Cleveland to close out the season, they take the #6 seed. It doesn't even matter what the other teams do. The Steelers are in the playoffs.
ok so we should just throw this game since winning against cleveland is guaranteed. i mean didn't we just kill them a couple weeks ago? oh wait.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
ok so we should just throw this game since winning against cleveland is guaranteed. i mean didn't we just kill them a couple weeks ago? oh wait.
I never said that.

I'm just pointing out the only scenario that matters at this point. Win out.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
I never said that.

I'm just pointing out the only scenario that matters at this point. Win out.
fair enough, i do disagree that this game is meaningless though. winning this game and next game gets us in the playoffs as well. leaving ben out of the final game might be key since he seems to get hurt a lot against cleveland
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
fair enough, i do disagree that this game is meaningless though. winning this game and next game gets us in the playoffs as well. leaving ben out of the final game might be key since he seems to get hurt a lot against cleveland
tomorrow is definitely not meaningless. I would much rather win the next 2 and not have to worry about the browns trying to ruin our season. That would be like a SB win for them.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cubanstogie For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (12-16-2012), The Curtain's Crusader (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,675 Times in 2,546 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
tomorrow is definitely not meaningless. I would much rather win the next 2 and not have to worry about the browns trying to ruin our season. That would be like a SB win for them.
The Browns sweeping us would really suck. Oh God, I don't even want to think about it.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote