Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #31
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: More injuries in secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
it is on topic - concerning injuries

jibber jabber jibber jabber jibber jabber

just the facts ma'am

Allen's injury will force the Steelers to get Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke ready to play in the secondary
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #32
Fire Haley
Banned

In case you were wondering...

Dez Bryant meeting w/ doctor, not practicing

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
jibber jabber jibber jabber jibber jabber

just the facts ma'am

Allen's injury will force the Steelers to get Curtis Brown, Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke ready to play in the secondary

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #34
Fire Haley
Banned

see what I mean?

jibber jabber

Looks like Keenan Lewis will play at least

An opportunity for young corners

The Steelers beat up secondary could mean more playing time for some young players this week.

Cornerback Ike Taylor has already been ruled out with an ankle injury, and his replacement Cortez Allen suffered a hip flexor against the Chargers that will limit him in practice this week and has his game time availability in question. Keenan Lewis also has a hip flexor, but he is expected to play on Sunday.

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/11/...young-corners/
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
SteelBobbleHead (12-16-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Beg to differ. Who were we missing by the time our playoff game against the Jags rolled around?

That year, Ben had a career season (32 TDs, 7 INTs), Parker was leading the NFL in yards rushing, and our defense was playing LIGHTS OUT from day 1 instead of "playing their way back to shape" midseason.

We did not hit a wall-- Aaron Smith got hurt and we did not have a suitable replacement at he time. Polamalu got hurt (yearly occurance, regardless of conditioning), but we kept our Oline mostly intact throughout the year and didn't have a different set of guys in te esecondary week to week.
We were also missing Parker (our Offensive MVP) and I am almost certain Starks or someone else important on the oline was out too. We were the walking dead heading into that game.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,646 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers to field thin secondary at Dallas

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chargers receiver Danario Alexander catches a touchdown pass as the Steelers' Josh Victorian defends during the fourth quarter Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, at Heinz Field

Steelers cornerbacks coverage statistics (completions/times targeted):

Ike Taylor 30/68 445 yards 5 TDs

Keenan Lewis 46/91 511 yards 2 TDs

Cortez Allen 32/56 327 yards 1 TD

Curtis Brown 9/12 116 yards 1 TD

Josh Victorian 1/2 15 yards 1 TD

Source: Pro Football Focus

Josh Victorian went from being on the street to covering the streak in a few days‘ time.

It doesn‘t sound easy, and it wasn‘t.

The Steelers cornerback was on the practice squad, then was released. A week later he was brought back and added to the 53-man roster. Then on the second NFL pass he defended, Chargers receiver Danario Alexander went high above him Sunday for a touchdown.

Just like that, Victorian — who was with four teams before getting into a game — went from being a mostly anonymous, undrafted free agent from Louisiana Tech to being the subject of intense scrutiny.

“A roller coaster, huh?” he said Thursday while contemplating his possible matchups Sunday against the receiver-deep Dallas Cowboys. “One week you can be Joe Blow, and then tomorrow everyone knows you. One day you can be at home, and they give you a call and you have to play on Sunday.”

Rarely have the Steelers (7-6) gone into such an important late-season game as thin at such a vital position as they will Sunday.

Ike Taylor, their top cover corner, is expected to miss another couple of games with a fractured ankle. Cortez Allen (groin), normally the nickel back and Taylor‘s replacement against the Chargers, hasn‘t practiced this week.

If Allen can‘t play, Curtis Brown will start. In the nickel package, Victorian goes outside and Brown slides into the nickel back role.

“It‘s not a surprise that these guys will be taking a significant amount if snaps,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said, noting the injuries all teams endure. “Hopefully they‘ll be prepared and answer the challenge.”

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers took advantage of the inexperience on the NFL‘s top-ranked pass defense. Rivers was 6 of 6 for 84 yards while throwing against Brown, 6 of 7 for 46 yards against Allen and 1 of 2 for 15 yards and a touchdown against Victorian. He beat Lewis only three times in nine attempts for 10 yards.

“Last week it was a tough task for us, but this week, with game experience, you‘re going to get better,” Lewis said. “Those guys are very talented, and they‘re ready for the challenge. You‘ve got to have a short-term memory in this league. Every game isn‘t going to be perfect.”

Here‘s that challenge: Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has 11 touchdown passes and just three interceptions in the past six games and averages a league-best 347.3 yards passing at home.

The Cowboys also have two productive receiving targets in Dez Bryant (75 catches for 1,028 yards), who is expected to play despite a broken index finger, and 6-foot-6 tight end Jason Witten, who has 92 receptions.

“I‘ve heard how talented he was, but I never watched him play — this is the first time I‘ve seen him play,” Polamalu said of Bryant. “His reputation is definitely worthy of his talent.”

Complicating matters, the Steelers‘ starting safeties aren‘t 100 percent. Polamalu isn‘t practicing as he heals from a calf injury, and Ryan Clark has a sore hip.

Asked how he expects the young corners to play, Polamalu said, “We‘ll find out afterward what my thoughts are. But it‘s just as critical that any position on our team plays well. It‘s no more important for the corners than it is for the outside ‘backers or the offensive line. The way we win games around here is that it‘s never really put on one position.”

The Steelers just hope one thin position doesn‘t lose it.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2F4CDK3q7
Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #37
67 calsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21936

With all the injuries in the secondary why are we not give Robert Golden.I though tooked good in preseason.He also has Experience playing cornerback.
What about Will Alllen a cornerback.It took a while but played well at ss with troy out.In the past he has said the he has reps at cb for the steelers
67 calsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #38
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,646 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers secondary concerns turn into prime issue

December 15, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Chargers' Danario Alexander pulls down a touchdown against the Josh Victorian in the fourth quarter Sunday at Heinz Field.

Under normal circumstances, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said he would have taken a couple of days off this week to rest his sore midsection.

But the Steelers secondary has been ravaged by injuries recently, and Clark said Thursday he felt like he had to practice because the young cornerbacks who will play Sunday against Dallas needed guidance as they prepared to face the Cowboys.

Josh Victorian and Robert Golden are not household names, even among the most die-hard of Steelers fans, but they will be on center stage against quarterback Tony Romo and wider receiver Dez Bryant because two of the team's top three cornerbacks are injured.

The Steelers will be without starting cornerback Ike Taylor for a second consecutive week because of a leg injury. Cortez Allen, his replacement, likely will miss the game because of a groin injury. Allen did not practice all week and is listed as doubtful.

The injuries mean either Victorian or second-year player Curtis Brown will make his first NFL start with Golden or DeMarcus VanDyke playing in the nickel package.

"I don't know if it changes my role, but it magnifies it a little bit," Clark said. "I just need to be deep and be very vocal as far as communicating to those guys and helping them understand what the offense may be trying to do to attack us and what we need to do as a defense in each and every call. For me, it's a situation where I need to be protective of those guys and help them out as much as possible."

Brown, a second-year player from Texas, moved into the role of third cornerback Sunday against the Chargers, but he was ineffective and Victorian replaced him in the second half.

Victorian, signed to the active roster a few days before the Chargers game, appears to be the player defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has identified as his top choice to replace Allen in the starting lineup.

"He made a play, and I thought he knew his assignments well," LeBeau said of Victorian's performance against the Chargers. "We've had him since training camp, and he's always impressed us as a playmaker. I think he'll make a good account of himself in there."

Victorian was signed to the practice squad in August after spending last season on the practice squads of the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots. He was with the New Orleans Saints briefly in the spring before being invited to training camp with the Steelers.

"Sunday is a great opportunity not only for me but for our entire young secondary group to show that we can play," said Victorian, who played at Louisiana Tech. "I think it will be great for us."

Golden has been on the active roster longer than Victorian, but he hasn't played a snap on defense all season. Golden, a rookie from the University of Arizona, made the team because of his ability to play cornerback and safety. That versatility is something the coaches would like to utilize against Dallas.

"I just have to be ready for wherever they want to put me in," Golden said. "I can play nickel, I play corner and I also play safety. When they call my number, I just need to be ready to go out there and perform. I feel like I had a great week of preparation. I just want to go out there and play well for the team."

The Cowboys have won three of their past four games to get back into the NFC playoff picture. They made their surge behind a passing attack that is third in the NFL in passing yards per game (292). Romo has thrown seven touchdown passes in the past three games.Even though his young players don't have a lot of game experience, LeBeau is hopeful they can step in and help the team.

"We try to develop the depth at every position," LeBeau said. "We try to teach these young players like they're going to be starting because we know someday they will be starting. Unfortunately, we have a couple of hits at the same spot this week. Generally speaking, throughout the course of the season this happens, so it's not a surprise that some of these guys will be starting and taking a significant amount of snaps. Hopefully, they'll be prepared and answer the challenge."We have some quality depth there. It's a challenge for us. One thing is for sure, they're not going to cancel the game. We think we have a plan. We have some people, and they'll have to step in there and pick it up. The game is still tackling, keying and knocking down passes. We're going to show up. We know we have a challenge, but I feel these young guys will make a good account of themselves."

NOTES -- Outside linebacker James Harrison returned to practice after missing two days with an illness and is listed as probable. ... Three other players missed practice Friday with illnesses -- wide receiver Antonio Brown, inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and long snapper Greg Warren. All three were listed as probable. ... The three players who are out for the game are offensive tackle Mike Adams, offensive guard Willie Colon and cornerback Ike Taylor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2FBeJ3F3s