Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #141
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,024 Times in 533 Posts
Default Re: Mendenhall suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
No he's not. He's actually exceedingly sure-handed. Ironically enough, I'd prefer people criticize him for his tweets (which he actually wrote) than for his fumbles, which are fairly low. He's had two, maybe three bad games in his career that are skewing his numbers a bit, but skewing people's opinion of him even worse.

Short version: dislike him all you want. He's not a fumbler.
In 34 attempts he has 3 fumbles this year.

4 fumbles in 2010 including 1 in a playoff game and 1 in the Superbowl.

3 fumbles in 2009 (242 attempts).

I don't know how that compares to other running backs so I won't tell you I am fully confident in my argument but that looks bad. I am especially looking at 2010. Not only did he fumble but look at the games he did it in. That is bad news.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 AM   #142
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

He has 9 fumbles in over 900 touches (less than 1%). Jerome Bettis, universally lauded for his lack of fumbles, had 41 fumbles in 3,679 touches... over 1%. The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.

I would suggest to you and to Coach Tomlin that he has those 3 fumbles because he has only 34 attempts. The Steelers need to pick a running back and stick with him, whether or not it is Mendenhall.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #143
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,024 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.
Again, I am looking not only at amounts but when he did it. Big game failure on his part. I remember Bus did the same shit vs the Colts and Ben bailed him out.

Quote:
I would suggest to you and to Coach Tomlin that he has those 3 fumbles because he has only 34 attempts. The Steelers need to pick a running back and stick with him, whether or not it is Mendenhall.
From the beginning of the season and even moreso now I have been saying Redman is the guy. He is better than the other 2 and has proven that he can carry the load in games as the feature back. Including big games. Yes, he hasn't done it for a full season but that is because we haven't started him for a full season.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #144
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,121 Times in 8,076 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
No he's not. He's actually exceedingly sure-handed. Ironically enough, I'd prefer people criticize him for his tweets (which he actually wrote) than for his fumbles, which are fairly low. He's had two, maybe three bad games in his career that are skewing his numbers a bit, but skewing people's opinion of him even worse.

Short version: dislike him all you want. He's not a fumbler.
Agreed: Mendenspin does not fumble often. That said...

A certain "un-named" QB was insanely good at not throwing INTs. But, he had TWO in SuperBowl XXX.

Likewise, I don't think that Ernest Byner fumbled very often... but, he has a play named after him, called The Fumble.

In other words, totals are less important than timing.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #145
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
He has 9 fumbles in over 900 touches (less than 1%). Jerome Bettis, universally lauded for his lack of fumbles, had 41 fumbles in 3,679 touches... over 1%. The point being that Rashard is more reliable than the running back for whom all of his critics have a boner. And if you remove just two or three particularly bad games from his resume, he's stellar, in Curtis Martin territory.

It's so easy to miss the important information in a sea of statistics. Mendenhall dangles that ball out there needlessly, and in the big games the opponents won't let him get away with it - and in fact, they haven't. He's an accident waiting to happen - as Harrison said, "a fumbling machine" (when it counts).

And that's not all. He has a history of giving the minimum effort, and he's always displayed his "me before the team" attitude. That's a real problem on a team. He's a disappointing, indecisive runner, especially given his amazing physical tools. It comes down to desire and attitude. Toe make it worse, he's an embarrassing idiot in public.

Look beyond the stats, look at what's happening on the field! This man damages the team. It's ludicrous to compare him to a true leader like Bettis, a man who always gave his best and inspired others around him. Seriously, that's just an insulting comparison.

Last edited by TheVet; 12-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #146
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,426 Times in 4,456 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
It's so easy to miss the important information in a sea of statistics. Mendenhall dangles that ball out there needlessly, and in the big games the opponents won't let him get away with it - and in fact, they haven't. He's an accident waiting to happen - as Harrison said, "a fumbling machine" (when it counts).
the way Mendenhall carries the ball it's amazing he doesn't fumble more often, but you're right...he's an accident waiting to happen.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #147
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,426 Times in 4,456 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

What are Steelers thinking with Mendenhall?

December, 16, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Steelers suspended running back Rashard Mendenhall earlier this week. Now, there's word that the team is committed to meaningful contractual conversation with Mendenhall this offseason, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

This is a mistake and it goes beyond the suspension. Mendenhall, who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, has been banged-up this season and his play was declining last season even before his severe knee injury. The Steelers lost faith in him after he fumbled twice on four carries in Cleveland, which is why he was been inactive for two games prior to the suspension.

So, why are the Steelers thinking of re-signing Mendenhall? Honestly, I'm confused. The Steelers will bring back Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, both of whom are restricted free agents. This is also a prime time to get younger at this position and take a running back early in the draft. Teams have been able to have success with rookie running backs, and you don't have to take one in the top five like Trent Richardson. Doug Martin, David Wilson and Alfred Morris have been instant producers in their first season in the league.

There has been talk that the Steelers aren't furious with Mendenhall for him not showing up for last Sunday's game, which led to his suspension. In fact, the Steelers could've suspended Mendenhall four games. So, sitting him for one game is a slap on the wrist in comparison.

But it's a bad idea to bring back Mendenhall, and this is about what everyone has seen on the field. He doesn't run in between the tackles. He is too quick to bounce the ball to the outside, which has upset the Steelers' offensive linemen.

The Steelers usually make sound decisions in the offseason. Keeping Mendenhall wouldn't be one of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ith-mendenhall
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #148
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Can't believe they're actually talking about an extension, unless they plan on trading him.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #149
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Can't believe they're actually talking about an extension, unless they plan on trading him.
He might have a few more years in the tank. I'm sure the FO recognizes that their RB situation doesn't look good. Redman and Dwyer are not consistent enough to be a starting back.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #150
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I'd be more inclined to say they realize that Dwyer and Redman as the only choices simply won't work, and they want to leave their options open in case the draft doesn't pan out for them.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote