Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Stairway2-7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17956
My Mood: Shocked
Default Re: Ben Disappointed There Wasn’t More No-huddle Used Against Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
yeah cause the no huddle worked so well in overtime.
I thought this once I read the title. Seems to me like there is maybe a bigger problem between Ben and Haley than we thought. Or maybe Im looking to much into it.
Stairway2-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,857 Times in 6,102 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stairway2-7 View Post
I thought this once I read the title. Seems to me like there is maybe a bigger problem between Ben and Haley than we thought. Or maybe Im looking to much into it.
no, I think you are correct.

Ben loved Arians and Haley was the one who replaced Arians. as a result, Ben is never going to totally buy into what Haley is selling...
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
no, I think you are correct.

Ben loved Arians and Haley was the one who replaced Arians. as a result, Ben is never going to totally buy into what Haley is selling...
Part of me has always wondered if this is the offense Todd Haley really wants to run, or if this is the offense Art Rooney is making him run. If the latter is true, some of these comments about the offense might not all be aimed at Haley.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow
Default Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

Whoa.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2FEoiznJ3

Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Sunday, December 16, 2012

ARLINGTON, Texas — Antonio Brown‘s eyes were beet red, bloodshot almost beyond recognition. One could easily hazard a guess why, after his litany of late mistakes loomed so large in the Steelers‘ knife-twisting 27-24 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday.

“It‘s my fault,” Brown fairly whispered.

No, actually, it wasn‘t.

Not entirely, anyway.

Ben Roethlisberger stood equally tall in manning up for his overtime interception, one that not only sealed defeat but also — maybe most crushingly — conjured up nightmares of Neil O‘Donnell and Larry Brown.

“This is on me, 100 percent,” Roethlisberger said. “I let my team down, the fans, everybody.”

Nope. Sorry again, but that‘s just not the whole truth.

Not after this maddeningly inconsistent team has stumbled all season to find an identity even when one is thrust in its collective face.

Not after simple results show again and again how it operates best and, yet, the team still sticks by what it wishes it could do.

Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.

That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.

So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.

“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”

Whoa, right?

You know, there have been occasions going back to Bruce Arians‘ retirement/firing and Haley‘s hiring where Roethlisberger has made veiled — even thinly veiled — criticisms of his newly imposed coordinator. But none came close to this.

And he wasn‘t done.

Roethlisberger was asked about the no-huddle, which the Steelers used Sunday when they looked most fluid — kind of like always — and he said, after a lengthy hesitation: “I don‘t … that‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it. And, um, that‘s disappointing.”

Double-whoa, right?

But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”

Hat trick of whoas!

Make no mistake: What the Steelers have right here is a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy.

And I‘ll say it again: Good.

Maybe that‘s what this team needs to regain its identity: Take it by force.

This game wasn‘t lost in overtime. I don‘t even think it was lost with Brown repeatedly losing his mind.

Ask me, and it began to get lost on the Steelers‘ opening drive of the second half, after Brown returned a punt to the 50 and continued all the momentum Miller had generated almost singlehandedly to that point.

Here was your go-for-the-jugular play-calling from Haley:

• Jonathan Dwyer over right guard, 4 yards.

• Dwyer up the middle, 1 yard.

• Roethlisberger incomplete short pass to Dwyer in right flat.

Yeah. Way to step on that Texas rattlesnake, gentlemen.

If it ended there, OK, no big deal. But when play after play kept getting called without No. 83 involved, it became clear that Haley was doing exactly what the Cowboys couldn‘t: He was shutting down Miller.

Miller didn‘t see another ball until the first play of overtime, which, naturally, he caught.

I asked Miller if he was disappointed, and he kept to his low-key profile: “That‘s just the way the game goes. I understand it.”

I‘m not sure why anyone would.

Tomlin‘s got his work cut out for him. His team is spiraling downward at 7-7, he‘s got to get them to show up for a critical showdown with the Bengals next Sunday — hardly a given — and, on top of that, be sure that he‘ll have to deal with the Roethlisberger-Haley situation.

No team can function without its quarterback and offensive coordinator on the same page, and these guys aren‘t in the same library right now.

I don‘t know about you, but I‘m with the quarterback on this. I really don‘t care how smart Haley is, really don‘t care if the Steelers ever find a way to run between the tackles (they‘ve had one outside run the past two games), really don‘t even care if Haley‘s with the team beyond this season or not.

The franchise player, that‘s different.

It‘s well past time the Steelers start hearing what he has to say before he starts calling far more serious audibles.

Last edited by ZoneBlitzer; 12-17-2012 at 01:49 AM.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

Uh oh, this looks like a pro-Ben article. Get your pitchforks! Lynch Dejan!
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
And a bad throw at that, short and inside.
It doesn't help when a receiver rounds off his out route as oppossed to a crisp, hard cut. I can't put this all on Ben. Bad pass at the worst time? Absolutely. Did Ben make plays on his own that had this team ahead? Absolutely.
He didn't fumble a ball that may have put the game away. AB did. And WTF was AB thinking running out of bounds on the 3rd down play with under 2 minutes to go saving the cowboys a timeout. A lot of these players show the same game situation awareness as their coach. I don't think that is a coicidence.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelBobbleHead For This Useful Post:
ZoneBlitzer (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #17
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

[QUOTE][Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.” /QUOTE]

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this, beyond Ben being frustrated. Is it telling us Ben recognized it was a bad play call pre-snap and didn't/is not allowed to audible out of it?
It is telling us after the snap he realized it was a bad play call and went back yard football to make something happen?
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,857 Times in 6,102 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Kovacevic: Ben's audible on Haley loud, clear

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Sunday, December 16, 2012

ARLINGTON, Texas — Antonio Brown‘s eyes were beet red, bloodshot almost beyond recognition. One could easily hazard a guess why, after his litany of late mistakes loomed so large in the Steelers‘ knife-twisting 27-24 loss to the Cowboys on Sunday.

“It‘s my fault,” Brown fairly whispered.

No, actually, it wasn‘t.

Not entirely, anyway.

Ben Roethlisberger stood equally tall in manning up for his overtime interception, one that not only sealed defeat but also — maybe most crushingly — conjured up nightmares of Neil O‘Donnell and Larry Brown.

“This is on me, 100 percent,” Roethlisberger said. “I let my team down, the fans, everybody.”

Nope. Sorry again, but that‘s just not the whole truth.

Not after this maddeningly inconsistent team has stumbled all season to find an identity even when one is thrust in its collective face.

Not after simple results show again and again how it operates best and, yet, the team still sticks by what it wishes it could do.

Not after Heath Miller is targeted six times in the first half, catches all six for 85 yards and a touchdown, then never has his number called in the second half by offensive coordinator Todd Haley and, ultimately, coach Mike Tomlin. Not once.

That‘s not just stubborn. It‘s stupid.

So good for Roethlisberger for being bluntly candid when I asked if Dallas‘ defense had done something to take away Miller after halftime.

“No,” he replied without hesitation, “I just don‘t think we called the right plays to get him the ball.”

Whoa, right?

You know, there have been occasions going back to Bruce Arians‘ retirement/firing and Haley‘s hiring where Roethlisberger has made veiled — even thinly veiled — criticisms of his newly imposed coordinator. But none came close to this.

And he wasn‘t done.

Roethlisberger was asked about the no-huddle, which the Steelers used Sunday when they looked most fluid — kind of like always — and he said, after a lengthy hesitation: “I don‘t … that‘s tough for me to answer right now. In the second half, we really didn‘t do much of it. And, um, that‘s disappointing.”

Double-whoa, right?

But wait. Even in describing his shining moment, the eternal scramble that led to Miller‘s touchdown, this was his Roethlisberger‘s recap: “The play got called, and they went to a prevent defense, so the play that was called wasn‘t a good play. At all. So we just started making a play, I saw Heath and just tried to get it to him.”

Hat trick of whoas!

Make no mistake: What the Steelers have right here is a 100-percent legitimate, non-manufactured quarterback vs. coordinator controversy.

And I‘ll say it again: Good.

Maybe that‘s what this team needs to regain its identity: Take it by force.

This game wasn‘t lost in overtime. I don‘t even think it was lost with Brown repeatedly losing his mind.

Ask me, and it began to get lost on the Steelers‘ opening drive of the second half, after Brown returned a punt to the 50 and continued all the momentum Miller had generated almost singlehandedly to that point.

Here was your go-for-the-jugular play-calling from Haley:

• Jonathan Dwyer over right guard, 4 yards.

• Dwyer up the middle, 1 yard.

• Roethlisberger incomplete short pass to Dwyer in right flat.

Yeah. Way to step on that Texas rattlesnake, gentlemen.

If it ended there, OK, no big deal. But when play after play kept getting called without No. 83 involved, it became clear that Haley was doing exactly what the Cowboys couldn‘t: He was shutting down Miller.

Miller didn‘t see another ball until the first play of overtime, which, naturally, he caught.

I asked Miller if he was disappointed, and he kept to his low-key profile: “That‘s just the way the game goes. I understand it.”

I‘m not sure why anyone would.

Tomlin‘s got his work cut out for him. His team is spiraling downward at 7-7, he‘s got to get them to show up for a critical showdown with the Bengals next Sunday — hardly a given — and, on top of that, be sure that he‘ll have to deal with the Roethlisberger-Haley situation.

No team can function without its quarterback and offensive coordinator on the same page, and these guys aren‘t in the same library right now.

I don‘t know about you, but I‘m with the quarterback on this. I really don‘t care how smart Haley is, really don‘t care if the Steelers ever find a way to run between the tackles (they‘ve had one outside run the past two games), really don‘t even care if Haley‘s with the team beyond this season or not.

The franchise player, that‘s different.

It‘s well past time the Steelers start hearing what he has to say before he starts calling far more serious audibles.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#ixzz2FHfN9Cet
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #19
Wallace108

Member Number:

Long before the season started, a few of us here were concerned about Ben and Haley's relationship, and we warned about what could happen if Ben didn't fully buy into Haley's offense. A couple of us even pointed out the similarities between Ben's comments during the offseason and Bubby Brister's back in the early 90s. We were laughed at and told that the media was just taking Ben's comments out of context and making stuff up. We were told that things would be peachy. As we sit here now at 7-7 and hear of Ben's comments after the Cowboys game, is there a possibility that we were right to be concerned back in the summer?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,770 Times in 4,803 Posts

Even as I'm typing this I realize it's not going to sound how I want it to, but I'm glad that AB was that emotional after a loss. It's refreshing to see guys that will get like that and man up to their mistakes. I'm not happy he was physically upset, I'm just happy he was upset.

I don't know how to say it - I hope you guys know what I mean.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote