Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #191
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,539 Times in 10,361 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Indianapolis's success has less to do with Arians and a lot to do with the fact that Andrew Luck is the next level of QB.

There was Montana, and then Manning/Brady, and now there is Luck.

Luck has the strengths of all of those QBs, sans the weaknesses. As a rookie, he is phenominal: above where Manning was, for sure... and Manning picked the offense up quickly. Manning was given the entire play-book; so was Luck, and Luck is having success (whereas, Manning was 3-13). BB was given a scaled down offense (like he should have been given) and had great success... but, again, Luck has been given the entire offense (& still having success).

It's all about Luck.

HALEY vs. ARIANS
Haley's offense (just as Pittsburgh's season) has been hindered by a ton of fumbles and/or WRs not getting their feet in bounds.

As far as keeping BB healhty, Haley was doing just that: BB had been sacked less & hurried less than in years prior. BB's current injury was a fluke.

Speaking of the injury, BB being out for three games (plus the game when he returned from injury, where he looked "out of sorts") will affect the amount of points scored and/or a team's overall record.

Before the injury, the Steelers were 6-3 (a record that they have achieved EVERY year), but this year, BB was the best in the league on 3rd downs... and, again, this year, BB has been sacked less than in years prior.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #192
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,352 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Could the offense be better? Sure. But, considering the deck Haley's been given and the constant reshuffling - it could always be worse.

Colts have a retractable roof right? They'll need it when Mr. Empty Set, Bubble Screen for the 7th time, Oops here comes the field goal unit again really gets cooking. They'll need to let all the shitty smell out.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #193
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Indianapolis's success has less to do with Arians and a lot to do with the fact that Andrew Luck is the next level of QB.

There was Montana, and then Manning/Brady, and now there is Luck.

Luck has the strengths of all of those QBs, sans the weaknesses. As a rookie, he is phenominal: above where Manning was, for sure... and Manning picked the offense up quickly. Manning was given the entire play-book; so was Luck, and Luck is having success (whereas, Manning was 3-13). BB was given a scaled down offense (like he should have been given) and had great success... but, again, Luck has been given the entire offense (& still having success).

It's all about Luck.

HALEY vs. ARIANS
Haley's offense (just as Pittsburgh's season) has been hindered by a ton of fumbles and/or WRs not getting their feet in bounds.

As far as keeping BB healhty, Haley was doing just that: BB had been sacked less & hurried less than in years prior. BB's current injury was a fluke.

Speaking of the injury, BB being out for three games (plus the game when he returned from injury, where he looked "out of sorts") will affect the amount of points scored and/or a team's overall record.

Before the injury, the Steelers were 6-3 (a record that they have achieved EVERY year), but this year, BB was the best in the league on 3rd downs... and, again, this year, BB has been sacked less than in years prior.
Okay, so when anyone not named Arians is the OC and Ben gets hurt, it's a "fluke?" That's just utter silliness - and now it's turning into excuse making. The offense failed to keep him healthy. Missed 3 weeks. No middle ground in that regard.

As for scoring, Ben being there hasn't made the difference it should. The Steelers worry about time of possession and balance too much to score enough points. They only scored 30+ points once this season, and that was in a loss to Oakland.

As for the three game stretch where they had 100+ yards rushing, maybe that was the fluke? After the Giants game the running game has vanished, and guys were still healthy.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #194
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Okay, so when anyone not named Arians is the OC and Ben gets hurt, it's a "fluke?" That's just utter silliness - and now it's turning into excuse making. The offense failed to keep him healthy. Missed 3 weeks. No middle ground in that regard.

As for scoring, Ben being there hasn't made the difference it should. The Steelers worry about time of possession and balance too much to score enough points. They only scored 30+ points once this season, and that was in a loss to Oakland.

As for the three game stretch where they had 100+ yards rushing, maybe that was the fluke? After the Giants game the running game has vanished, and guys were still healthy.
Good point on the running game post-Giants.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #195
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Good point on the running game post-Giants.
Don't ruin this by agreeing with me....
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #196
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,539 Times in 10,361 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

A quarterback can be hurt on any given play. It only takes ONE play. Ergo, in order to keep the odds of the QB being injured, having him hit LESS is the key.

Less sacks = less hits = less chance for injury

The sack totals are down. Period.

QUESTION: You keep averring that "the Steelers worry about time of possession"... where did you hear that? read that? know that from? I have never heard anything about that being their primary goal. Link please...

I, on the other hand, aver that they are trying to coach BB, in order to make him a better QB... such as leading the league in third-down percentage. And, as anyone who knows football knows, third down is the key to a team's success: converting third downs & stopping the other team from converting third downs.

More third downs completed... by BB... via passing... despite some phantom "time of possession" doctrine. THAT is why Haley is better.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #197
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Don't ruin this by agreeing with me....
I just about spit up my drink. Thank you

Alright - back on track - "I think your thoughts suck n' at" lol
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #198
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,657 Times in 6,006 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers’ D Getting a Pass Again?

Dec 18

I was once told by a fairly ‘respected’ Pittsburgh Steelers’ writer that statistics don’t mean anything when talking football. Stats, he said, “were for Skip Bayless.” While I don’t necessarily disagree with that sentiment, there are however some numbers you just can’t avoid discussing and that number continues to center around ‘one.’

The Steelers’ defense was ranked number one in the league entering last week’s game in Dallas and also rated number one against the pass. Has the defense played well this year? Considering the problems on offense in recent weeks I’d say yes, but then there is Denver and Oakland and Tennessee and then Sunday in Dallas.

Fans can complain and make points about the injuries on Sunday and while those may not be completely thrown out, they cannot be an excuse. Every team deals with injuries. It’s the nature of the beast and you need to accept it.

Tony Romo completed 30 of 42 passes for 341 yards and two touchdowns. He did not turn the ball over either which is something he typically does once or twice per week. When you have young guys in the secondary you have to find ways to help them and that falls on the guys along the front seven. Unfortunately, the pressure applied by these guys was minimal and far too infrequent. Had ‘Jerry World’ had a grass field, Romo still would have had a clean jersey at the end of the day.

James Harrison rarely got pressure and LaMarr Woodley was as absent as a Super Bowl Trophy in Cleveland. Yes, Harrison still made plays and that can’t go unmentioned, but both men are paid extremely well to get to the other team’s quarterback and Woodley especially is falling woefully short.

The front three, which we know are not necessarily responsible for getting pressure have done little of that anyway. Brett Keisel and Ziggy Hood have had their moments but have been far too inconsistent. Cam Heyward is starting to become a disappointment in my mind. Two years in now and I have yet to see significant plays from him.

I’m still waiting for an explanation as to where Steve McLendon is? The guy who impressed last season and during the preseason continues to see far too few snaps in my opinion. That isn’t a knock on Casey Hampton, but McLendon needs more time on defense especially in passing situations.

What we have to realize is this defense is no longer ‘BlitzBurgh’ and anyone thinking it is has not watched this team this year or last for that matter. The speed on the edges is gone. Harrison and Woodley have never really been speed rushers anyway the way a Jason Gildon once was. Teams no longer worry about having to get rid of the ball quickly and they have chip-blocked less and less through the season.

So how does this defense have such a strong ranking then right? This is not as difficult to explain as you might think. First of all, the Steelers might be first in total defense but they are eighth in points allowed at 20.8 points given up per game. You know how the defense has been on the field a lot the last two weeks? Believe it or not, they are second in the league in terms of how much time they are on the field. That makes the 20 points given up per game even more glaring.

Perhaps the most disturbing stat for this defense is that they rank 28th in the league in takeaways. After last year’s dead-last rating, many of us thought that was just a hiccup but it is becoming a trend. In three of the last five seasons, the Pittsburgh defense has rated 23rd or below in takeaways. In the two years they were better, they were in the top 10.

Compare the Steelers’ defense to the top 10 in takeaways in 2012 and you’ll notice only two teams in that group that aren’t in the playoff hunt. There’s a correlation there and it can’t be denied. Teams that limit scoring and create turnovers are just as good as teams that have number one rankings.

Yes, health is always an issue as it is for every team, but this team relies far too much on letting other teams make mistakes rather than forcing them. The ‘bend-don’t-break’ mentality of Dick LeBeau is out of touch and no longer applicable with today’s game and especially with this team’s talent or lack thereof. The defense has to get younger and more importantly faster on the edges. If that means putting Woodley back to his down position at end that he played in college then so be it.

As troubled as this offense is, the defense isn’t exactly a model of perfection despite their ranking either. There is only one ‘number one’ we should be concerned with at the end of the season and that’s the number one team in the league, not defense. After all, where did the number one defensive ranking get us last year?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...again/12463375
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #199
lipps83
Head Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers’ D Getting a Pass Again?

Dec 18

I was once told by a fairly ‘respected’ Pittsburgh Steelers’ writer that statistics don’t mean anything when talking football. Stats, he said, “were for Skip Bayless.” While I don’t necessarily disagree with that sentiment, there are however some numbers you just can’t avoid discussing and that number continues to center around ‘one.’......
What? Reality has no place on these forums.

Steelers defense is #1 and best in the league. The problem is Roger Goodell, not Dick Lebeau's antiquated scheme.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #200
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

I posted this on another forum. The Steelers are on pace to match their total of 15 turnovers forced last year. These are the numbers forced by the last twenty Super Bowl winners, but it goes back even farther than that.

A team with a small play defense has never won a Super Bowl.

NYG - 31
GB - 32
NO - 39
Pit - 29
NYG - 25
Ind - 26
Pit - 30
NE - 36
NE - 41
Tam - 38
NE - 35
Bal - 49