Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #111
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Connecticut school shooting

Well, I was speaking in modern terms...not hundreds of years ago. Somehow, that penal colony evolved into a civilized nation. That's the nation I'm talking about when I say Australia.

I'm always surprised by your reactions on gun control. You are a self described anarchist that wants a federal ban on weapons. It's just weird to me.

As Dan wants to agree to disagree with me, I suppose we should do the same. I don't disagree with you on much, but this seems to be the issue where there is lack of middle ground.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #112
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Well, I was speaking in modern terms...not hundreds of years ago. Somehow, that penal colony evolved into a civilized nation. That's the nation I'm talking about when I say Australia.

I'm always surprised by your reactions on gun control. You are a self described anarchist that wants a federal ban on weapons. It's just weird to me.

As Dan wants to agree to disagree with me, I suppose we should do the same. I don't disagree with you on much, but this seems to be the issue where there is lack of middle ground.
I am indeed an anarchist, which means I have little choice but to agree to disagree with people. But I also am a committed pacifist and democrat (small "d" of course). I am quite certain that guns are toxic to any healthy political discourse, and they are clearly not peaceful.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #113
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
True that

But people still die in auto accidents - that does not mean you eliminate equipping vehicles with air bags and seat belts
perhaps not , but does anyone need a 400 hp engine anymore than a person needs a 30 round clip ?
people die everyday thanks to driving at high rates of speed despite speed limits and laws ....i know / knew people on both ends of traffic fatalities that were due to driving at wreck less high speeds and i'm sure most of you do as well... so where's the outrage over these killing machines ?
does anyone need a car or motorcycle that does 160 when the speed limit is 65 ?
would you support a ban on sports cars or anything over 150 hp ?
would traffic fatalities decrease with strict "auto control" ?

i want an all out ban on these death traps !!! what say you mach ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #114
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,299 Posts

Quote:
True. I guess I should have specified that those laws go by state. You aren't legally allowed to use an AR (or any other semi auto) for any hunting purposes in PA (which is a generally lenient gun state). That's my bad.

Just got done reading an article about how hunters (of larger game) abhor those that use .223's for hunting because they are not efficient in kills and cause the animal to suffer more. I don't think they're useless by any means...just wasn't thinking past state hunting laws.
That comes down to hunter ethics and knowing the limits of your weapon with the size of game your going after. I feel the same way about trying to use a small caliber rifle with big game.
I did not know that law in PA either. Guess I just assumed it was basically the same as here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #115
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
That comes down to hunter ethics and knowing the limits of your weapon with the size of game your going after. I feel the same way about trying to use a small caliber rifle with big game.
I did not know that law in PA either. Guess I just assumed it was basically the same as here.
you can hunt with a .223 in MD , even deer. as long as you have 1200 lbs muzzle energy its all good. but all All military, full metal jacketed, incendiary or tracer bullets are prohibited. plus you can not have more than 8 rounds in the clip.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #116
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,299 Posts

Who the fuck uses tracers for hunting? FMJ's only leave little pencil hole, not real good for solid knock down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #117
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I am indeed an anarchist, which means I have little choice but to agree to disagree with people. But I also am a committed pacifist and democrat (small "d" of course). I am quite certain that guns are toxic to any healthy political discourse, and they are clearly not peaceful.
I know, and I'm not trying to bash your personal beliefs. To be honest, we don't own any guns for political reasons. We have them for hunting and protection purposes. I've said before, but we live in an area where if someone broke in here and victimized us, first responders would be about 15-20 minutes away, and no neighbors in earshot. I value our right to protect ourselves. When we had our business in the city, even, I've had to deter a potential robber with my 1911. At the time, my daughter and I lived in a small area above the club/retail area. I don't make any apologies for that.

I understand your feelings, it's just weird to hear an anarchist be for federal regulations, that's all.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #118
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Yeah, I was kind of assuming the same thing. Despite relatively lenient gun laws here, the hunting laws are fairly strict. You can't even hunt small game with semi auto .22's. Not like it's that heavily enforced in all areas...some people are way off the grid here.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #119
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
I understand your feelings, it's just weird to hear an anarchist be for federal regulations, that's all.
But it is not as if ric is running for office.

In the most recent Georgia election the Libertarians nominated candidates for 2 seats on the Public Service Commission. I voted for them without exactly being quite certain what the Libertarian approach to regulating what Georgia Power charges me might be.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #120
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But it is not as if ric is running for office.

In the most recent Georgia election the Libertarians nominated candidates for 2 seats on the Public Service Commission. I voted for them without exactly being quite certain what the Libertarian approach to regulating what Georgia Power charges me might be.
I never suggested he was running for office. I'm not running for office either (libertarian here. Voting for people without being certain of their actual approaches seems to be a common thing in the US today. Why would you vote for them if you weren't certain of their approaches?