Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509
Default Re: DeCastro & Beachum

Thought they played extremely well. DD is going to be a beast if he can stay healthy.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgoldsc View Post
Serious question...
Would we rather see Starks/Gilbert on the ends, Starks/Adams, Starks/Beachum, Gilbert/Adams, Gilbert/Beachum, or Adams/Beachum?

I really don't know. I think Starks is very underrated, I think Gilbert is kind of overrated but that doesn't necessarily mean I am right or that the Steelers agree. Not sure what to really think of Adams and Beachum yet.
That's the question, for sure. We know what Starks brings to the table - he's adequate to play the position, a journeyman-level NFL OT and nothing more; but on our O-line that makes him the best OT.

Adams would have reasonably been expected to take the starting left tackle position, but he's had technique problems in pass blocking, followed by injuries, and he simply hasn't progressed. He's fine as a run blocker. He needs more time, health, training and experience. So Adams is still an open question, but injuries are injuries, and we can remain hopeful.

Gilbert would have been reasonably expected to continue developing after his solid rookie year, but instead he regressed badly. His pass defense is worse than Adams. Not only has he been regularly beaten, he's losing on technique and he's losing physically. Indeed, defensive players have been driving him into the turf, and into other teammates. He's being beaten like a bongo drum. He's nowhere near Adams in run blocking. Gilbert is a big concern.

Beachum is a big surprise. In preseason, all he seemed to do was hold; he looked kind of helpless. But in the last two games as a starter, he's looked better than either Adams or Gilbert in pass defense (and behind Adams in run blocking, of course).

We really need at least one of these guys to step up and get beyond the Starks level, and it really should be two - because honestly, we're a bottom five OL, and it should be an achievable goal. Maybe one will be Beachum, and maybe Adams will progress or Gilbert will get his head right. Maybe both!!! Or maybe neither ...

I don't think we're going to know the answer this year.

PS: I was very happy with DD's play.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,711 Times in 962 Posts

While Beachum is doing ok in pass protect, he is a little light in the britches against 3-4 DTs with run blocking. Specificaly , he has trouble with down blocks. Maybe if he can put on another 10-15 lbs above the waist this offseason, he could very well nail that spot down for the next 10 years.....

As for Decastro, if he stays healthy, could be one of the best guards we've had since Gerry Mullins.....and that includes Big Red. I thought it was a solid debut.

I can't wait to see how well our running game could be with Colon, Pouncey and DeCastro in the middle.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Really, Starks is average? We havent had to worry about LT since he returned. He is as good as any in the league right now and rarely gives up a sack from the left. Starks needs a new contract period. I would say hes our best OL behind Pouncey. DD will hopefully improve and lock down the RG spot.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,982 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Starks is a top 5 Steelers lineman of past decade IMO

1. Hartings
2. Faneca
3. Smith
4. Starks
5. Pouncey

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Really, Starks is average? We havent had to worry about LT since he returned. He is as good as any in the league right now and rarely gives up a sack from the left. Starks needs a new contract period. I would say hes our best OL behind Pouncey. DD will hopefully improve and lock down the RG spot.
This right here..

Max Starks is really underrated. You dont see these forums blowing up with Max Starks sucks! or Fire Max Starks! and thats because he is SOLID.

People forget he played all season the two years we won the superbowl, got to a third one also. and he didnt start or play the years we sucked.

What is he like 30 yrs old? or older? Maybe he will stick around for another few years.

Last edited by Men of Steel; 12-18-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: left word out
Men of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
VaDave
Team President

Starks is a UFA, and will surely test the market. I would veture a guess he will get a better offer elsewhere., and rate his return in 2013 at about 10%. The same with Mendenhal, Wallace, and possibly Foster. Legs will be retained as a swing man.

Next years Startin Oline, Gilbert, Colon ( until he gets hurt then Legursky steps in) Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams. Beachum will be the swing man.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Starks is a UFA, and will surely test the market. I would veture a guess he will get a better offer elsewhere., and rate his return in 2013 at about 10%. The same with Mendenhal, Wallace, and possibly Foster. Legs will be retained as a swing man.

Next years Startin Oline, Gilbert, Colon ( until he gets hurt then Legursky steps in) Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams. Beachum will be the swing man.
Looks good on paper, but if they can't play together on a continuos basis because of injuries were right back to square one, rotating the o-line to see who fits where.
Now is the time to start looking for some hard ass coaches & trainers.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
VaDave
Team President

Amen on the trainers..... Hear that Mr. Colon?? Lugging that extra 40-50 lbs around isn't exactly good for your health. Same could be said for Woodley, & Hampton. Have you guys ever heard of sensible eating?

As for injuries, this has been going on for a number of years, like since 1933...... Losing Kugler is going to hurt. The guy was a wiz at getting guys ready in a hurry.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
Penn
Starter

Member Number: 19535

Hopefully Adams is healthy enough to start this week and we can get our running game going again with our two rookies on the right side
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote