Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

And Ben ain't clutch? Not this season so much, but that's a damn idiotic statement. You can't just discount everything he's done in his career.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

A 54 yard FG attempt into the open end of the stadium.
I walked out of the room before the kick.
I knew the outcome and so should an NFL head coach.
Fire Tomlin?
No, but he should be on the hot seat moving forward
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
And Ben ain't clutch? Not this season so much, but that's a damn idiotic statement. You can't just discount everything he's done in his career.
I'm not. But he hasn't been as clutch of late. He used to be Mr. Clutch. And now, I haven't been feeling so good about our chances the last couple of seasons when the ball is in his hands. I think things are evening out for him and he's turning into a latter day Brett Favre.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
I was shocked when I saw Ben standing in the shotgun when we got the ball back with 40 seconds to go and on our own ten yard line. Granted we would have probably done something stupid in OT to lose the game, but good grief you take a knee in that situation and take your chances in OT.
I feel like saying this like Herm Edwards...."YOU TAKE A KNEEEE"
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverPoop View Post
I agree with all of you but you know that Tomlin isn't going anywhere!

But it is fun to imagine I know.
Quite. This is a team that hasn't sacked a head coach since the Merger. It's not going to happen. And that's from someone who thought the coaching today on the O side of the ball was very poor.

That said, there's been a lack of discipline in this team all year, both in terms of penalties (though that's improved in recent weeks) and in all-round play. Key personnel have underperformed and it's shown repeatedly in sloppy performances against poor teams. This has to change, and it has to come from Tomlin.

The Bungles aren't going to get worse - they're a young team with a good D, solid ST and the inckling of a decent offence. If we don't wanna be scrapping for Wildcard spots over the next few years, Tomlin has to get this squad by the scruff and give it a damn good shake. There are some critical player decisions to come in the Spring, and we have to get it right.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
I'm not. But he hasn't been as clutch of late. He used to be Mr. Clutch. And now, I haven't been feeling so good about our chances the last couple of seasons when the ball is in his hands. I think things are evening out for him and he's turning into a latter day Brett Favre.
I'm totally with you on the Big Ben becoming Brett Favre comparison.

- -Too reluctant to change.
-- Wants to do "backyard football" way too much.
-- Throws costly interceptions when the game is on the line.
-- Stuck in the past.
--Too many people want to make him a legend that isn't necessarily justified (despite 3 SB appearances).

I've defended this guy since the beginning but now I fear that his best days are behind him and isn't this elite superstar anymore that we've all made him out to be. I used to get angry when people didn't mention BB in the top 5 QB's but now I definitely see that in fact he never belonged there.
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OliverPoop For This Useful Post:
ZoneBlitzer (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613

I will be more specific about what I didn't like this game and other things I didn't like all year.

1. Again, we rotated RB's instead of letting one stay in rythm. Dwyer had some big runs and even Mendy put 1 or 2 up in there. This is absolute fucking nonsense. We had 4 games this year with a feature runner and in 3 of the 4 we had 100 yard rushing games. Do I need to tell anyone whether we won or lost those 3 games? Before I go on I should say how I define feature runner which is, an RB with a minimum of say.....17-20 carries. Give or take. So my numbers may be slightly off in the give or take portion but it is close enough to strongly consider when making coaching decisions. (this also counts as a thing I didn't like during the season).

2. Sticking with the RB thing for a minute....Redman had 2 runs today where he converted short yardage. A third down run and a 4th down run. Now I have said it before and I will say it again, he has a near perfect percentage in converting those short yardage plays. During this game there was a time when it was 3rd and 2 (after Redman had converted earlier in the game) and we run Rashard Mendenhall as opposed to Isaac Redman. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible call. Even puting Redman aside, Mendenhall is our softest running back. When you are trying to put the ball up the middle you choose the HARDEST running back. Tomlin did the exact opposite.

3. You have all probably heard my opinion enough on this.....But did anyone notice who the RB was for that last play of the game when we needed a miracle or something major? I'll help you out. His name is Isaac Redman. And yes I know, he ended up throwing it to the other team but that happens pretty much every time those plays are called. My point is, look at who the go to guy was. So where was he the rest of the game? Like the time we were in the redzone (keep in mind Redmans nickname is Redzone for a reason) and Redman was on the sideline while our other backs lost yards and we ended up out of the redzone.

4. The decisions on the FG's. Ealier in the season late in the game we had a chance at a 54 yard FG or a punt. Tomlin chose to let Shuisam try it when he should be well aware there is no leg for that kind of kick on the man. He misses and we lose after giving the opponent good field position. Same scenario tonight but fortunately our defense held. That doesn't make the decision any less terrible however. If we had backed them up with a punt that helps our later field position and maybe gets us the score to win the game. These 2 field goal calls might just piss me off more than the whole RB thing.

5. Our team lacks discipline and consistency which has to go on the coach. He was hard on the RB's but let everyone else who made mistakes float on by. If you are going to be hard on one guy you need to be hard on the rest. The team just seemed uninspired during a lot of games like there was no real life in us. A coach should be able to change that if they want to keep their job.

Anyway, I am tired of even talking about it. If I think of more later I will add to it.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-23-2012), sexyllama (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #28
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

how about re-hiring him instead, as our very own "HCC" <- Head Cheerleader Coach
-afterall, admittedly, he is a Player's Coach, freindly and kind.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

I'm from Newport News, Va, where Tomlin is from. Being a lifelong Steelers fan; I had my reservations about him being named head coach. The SB win relieved some of them. But now here we are. The press conferences after the games, make me sick. He acts like a guy who is trying to show the world how intelligent he is, and he never really says anything relavent about the game . He acts like it's no big deal when we lose;"we'll go back to work next week"; I've heard that till I'm sick of it.

My other BIG observation is; when Ben came into the league, before his success, he was more disaplined, and played a much more fundamental game. I understand that he has dealt with terrible blocking much of the time, and he has made some great plays for us by extending the plays when it was needed, but I think he is listening to the hype too much now, about how he is such a play maker, ect. He has gotten completely away from any fundamental football, and our offense looks like a sandlot offense.

I too think Tomlin "Switzered" in, and I really don't forsee any change next year. I think he simply doesn't get it. We need a Belicheck type guy that says either you make the plays or I'll get someone who will. Our team is SOFT. I can tell what every play is going to be before it's ran. Haley is not the answer either. I hope he moves on. All the BA haters have egg on their faces now too. I beg the Rooney's to make some drastic changes, and bring "STEELER" football back!

Last edited by SteelCurtainCall; 12-23-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelCurtainCall For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-23-2012), plenewken (12-23-2012)