Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Off Season Moves

Steelers won't overspend on Wallace. His lack of effort I think wrote his ticket out of Pittsburgh. Add fumbles and lack of big plays with his desire for #1 wr money he is all but gone. I think the steelers will give Burress a hard look in week 17 and consideration for next year. he has fresh legs and is proven.

I disagree with how hampton played. he has been pushed back all year. 7-10 disruptive plays i saw all year. If there is a starter in round 1 he will be drafted. ILB in round 2 as not many available in FA who are familiar with the 3-4.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #22
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Steelers won't overspend on Wallace. His lack of effort I think wrote his ticket out of Pittsburgh. Add fumbles and lack of big plays with his desire for #1 wr money he is all but gone. I think the steelers will give Burress a hard look in week 17 and consideration for next year. he has fresh legs and is proven.

I disagree with how hampton played. he has been pushed back all year. 7-10 disruptive plays i saw all year. If there is a starter in round 1 he will be drafted. ILB in round 2 as not many available in FA who are familiar with the 3-4.
So get rid of Wallace for a 35 year old receiver?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
teegre (12-26-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
yes. wide receivers aren't running backs. plus Buress hasnt seen major action in 4 seasons. so his body is not that of a 35 year old as far as football.

25 or 35, wallace didnt show up this year and gave up on a lot of plays, dropped a ton of passes and fumbled way too much.

burress cant do worse at 35 at 1/4 of the salary. take that money and spend on a RB or elsewhere.

draft a wallace like wr and let him watch a year,
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

I am thinking our first pick will be a tall WR, or they keep Plax (i think they let wallace and mendy walk, keeping redman and dwyer) Then it will be a Safety or top level pass rusher. Next will be whatever we didnt get in the first. We have Spence back next season, harrison and snack played better after their injuries got better, i still doubt either is 100%. But think we keep james and drop snack. So round 3 is probably NT. After that who knows.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #25
zshelhamer
Water Boy

Member Number: 20060

Foote played well this year, I hope we bring him back for a year or two so we can draft an ILB early and groom him behind Foote.

I also think Harrison is being paid too much and will be let go. Polamalu should consider retirement because of his health the past few years, I see him as a guy who wants to go out on his own terms, not when he physically cannot go anymore. Resigning Lewis is priority number one, as he is going to be a solid DB for the foreseeable future.

Also, we need to resign Mendy (as much as I dislike the guy, we need to offer him at least a one year contract. He didn't play great this year, but the dude was coming off a torn ACL and most runners don't recover their ability to cut for at least a year and a half to two years. Give him one last chance).

Resign Sanders and either Dwyer/Redman for depth. We need to at least offer Wallace a decent contract. We may not like him, but his speed is what keeps the defense from sticking 11 guys near the line of scrimmage.

As for the coaches, Tomlin will not be fired (although after his AWFUL decision making this year, he should at least be on the hot seat), Haley may go to Arizona? and I think LeBeau will be back for another year. The Strength and Conditioning coach and ST coach both need to be fired.

However, these are the Steelers, so I'm very worried nothing will change in the offseason. The old players that need to be let go will just restructure their contracts and come back for another season. The coaches that need to be fired will be back on the sidelines next year. We will field basically the same team next year and will have the same problems we have had the past few years with injuries and a lack of turnovers.

There is always hope though. Here's to a long and hopefully productive offseason
zshelhamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zshelhamer View Post
Foote played well this year, I hope we bring him back for a year or two so we can draft an ILB early and groom him behind Foote.

I also think Harrison is being paid too much and will be let go. Polamalu should consider retirement because of his health the past few years, I see him as a guy who wants to go out on his own terms, not when he physically cannot go anymore. Resigning Lewis is priority number one, as he is going to be a solid DB for the foreseeable future.

Also, we need to resign Mendy (as much as I dislike the guy, we need to offer him at least a one year contract. He didn't play great this year, but the dude was coming off a torn ACL and most runners don't recover their ability to cut for at least a year and a half to two years. Give him one last chance).

Resign Sanders and either Dwyer/Redman for depth. We need to at least offer Wallace a decent contract. We may not like him, but his speed is what keeps the defense from sticking 11 guys near the line of scrimmage.

As for the coaches, Tomlin will not be fired (although after his AWFUL decision making this year, he should at least be on the hot seat), Haley may go to Arizona? and I think LeBeau will be back for another year. The Strength and Conditioning coach and ST coach both need to be fired.

However, these are the Steelers, so I'm very worried nothing will change in the offseason. The old players that need to be let go will just restructure their contracts and come back for another season. The coaches that need to be fired will be back on the sidelines next year. We will field basically the same team next year and will have the same problems we have had the past few years with injuries and a lack of turnovers.

There is always hope though. Here's to a long and hopefully productive offseason
mendy after his antics sealed his fate along with wallace. you can be disruptive if you are producing. heck, even when you are producing the steelers will not take disruption, just ask santonio holmes. how much we miss him in a big spot?

mendy and wallace are gone. you can get a jackie battle or joque bell for a 3rd of what mendy will want without the fumbles.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
For the time being, yes. Plax will be relatively cheap compared to Wallace and will likely outperform him. That's not a popular opinion, but Wallace is a one trick pony who has shown nothing for the last year and a half, meanwhile Plax is a big target who knows how to run routes. Paying Wallace even as much as Brown is a joke. That's basically telling Brown that you can half ass it and drop passes all the time and still get however much money you ask for. Rooney and Colbert aren't that stupid, Wallace will be gone. Wallace is overrated, Cotchery looked better then he did today. Somebody will be stupid enough to pay him the money and I hope he takes it right away. If we can't get by on offense with Cotchery, Brown, Sanders, Heath, and Plax then they need to do some serious house cleaning.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Steelers5895
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
For the time being, yes. Plax will be relatively cheap compared to Wallace and will likely outperform him. That's not a popular opinion, but Wallace is a one trick pony who has shown nothing for the last year and a half, meanwhile Plax is a big target who knows how to run routes. Paying Wallace even as much as Brown is a joke. That's basically telling Brown that you can half ass it and drop passes all the time and still get however much money you ask for. Rooney and Colbert aren't that stupid, Wallace will be gone. Wallace is overrated, Cotchery looked better then he did today. Somebody will be stupid enough to pay him the money and I hope he takes it right away. If we can't get by on offense with Cotchery, Brown, Sanders, Heath, and Plax then they need to do some serious house cleaning.
we can get a fast deep threat in the draft and develop him. brown and sanders werent overly productive until year 2. we have shown we can find good wrs in mid rounds. his play was so bad this year, he isnt worth tagging as no one will give up a pick for him. he will be like many others who just leave and we get nothing in return. well, we will hopefully get a new starter who plays hard and holds on to the ball.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #29
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Rooney team owners and directors need to have a meeting with Mike T. I see no player leadership on this team or even the development of those type players.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I love when people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to draft needs and/or possible draft prospects.

We're not drafting a NT in the first round. If we thought we could replace Ta'amu in another draft, we wouldn't have put him on the practice squad after the legal issues. Second, this class is too heavily defensive favored to draft an offensive player before the fifth round. Third, we're not resigning Dwyer. Overweight and out-of-shape running backs aren't my style and they shouldn't be the Steelers' style, either. It's time to move on from Captain 3 yards per carry.

Regarding free agency, they're going to resign Wallace. I'd like for you to name a team that will give Wallace more than 10 million a year in terms of a 5 year / 50 million dollar deal. The Steelers will match it, and if any team wants to give him more than that, be my guest.
Since when has free agency been about common sense? There are half a dozen teams out there who need help at WR with both cap room and desperation as their FA motivation - I wouldn't say it's an absolute certainty that Wallace is gone, but I'd be astonished if someone didn't offer more than what we're able to offer. His less than Stellar season this year gives us a glimmer of hope, but someone like the Raiders or Miami will offer him more than we will.

Agree with the rest though. With the defensive talent in this draft class and the fact that we've a history of going for the best available player at the time, I can't see us taking anyone on the O side of the ball in the first three or four rounds (unless someone totally unexpected falls to us, which is always possible). There's a job to do re-engineering the squad, and I think it takes a couple of drafts to do it - with the defensive talent available in this draft class, and the Steelers drafting high (for us), we may never get a better chance to re-tool the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited by BritishSteel; 12-24-2012 at 04:19 AM.
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote