Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #51
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Actually the one bright spot has beem the development of the secondary. They are much improved IMO.
Agreed, a lot better. We have Carnell Lake to thank for that. Since his arrival Taylor has played better (well, most games), Allen is becoming a good Nickle CB and played well as a starter today, and K. Lewis has turned into a real starting CB.

Cowherpowher, I'm surprised to hear that about your friends. EVERY friend that I have that is a fan of a different team thinks Tomlin is an average to below average HC. It's funny because last year I argued with them against that. Towards the end of the year I was thinking they were right, and after this season it's pretty clear to me that they are.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #52
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
I will be more specific about what I didn't like this game and other things I didn't like all year.

1. Again, we rotated RB's instead of letting one stay in rythm. Dwyer had some big runs and even Mendy put 1 or 2 up in there. This is absolute fucking nonsense. We had 4 games this year with a feature runner and in 3 of the 4 we had 100 yard rushing games. Do I need to tell anyone whether we won or lost those 3 games? Before I go on I should say how I define feature runner which is, an RB with a minimum of say.....17-20 carries. Give or take. So my numbers may be slightly off in the give or take portion but it is close enough to strongly consider when making coaching decisions. (this also counts as a thing I didn't like during the season).

2. Sticking with the RB thing for a minute....Redman had 2 runs today where he converted short yardage. A third down run and a 4th down run. Now I have said it before and I will say it again, he has a near perfect percentage in converting those short yardage plays. During this game there was a time when it was 3rd and 2 (after Redman had converted earlier in the game) and we run Rashard Mendenhall as opposed to Isaac Redman. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible call. Even puting Redman aside, Mendenhall is our softest running back. When you are trying to put the ball up the middle you choose the HARDEST running back. Tomlin did the exact opposite.

3. You have all probably heard my opinion enough on this.....But did anyone notice who the RB was for that last play of the game when we needed a miracle or something major? I'll help you out. His name is Isaac Redman. And yes I know, he ended up throwing it to the other team but that happens pretty much every time those plays are called. My point is, look at who the go to guy was. So where was he the rest of the game? Like the time we were in the redzone (keep in mind Redmans nickname is Redzone for a reason) and Redman was on the sideline while our other backs lost yards and we ended up out of the redzone.

4. The decisions on the FG's. Ealier in the season late in the game we had a chance at a 54 yard FG or a punt. Tomlin chose to let Shuisam try it when he should be well aware there is no leg for that kind of kick on the man. He misses and we lose after giving the opponent good field position. Same scenario tonight but fortunately our defense held. That doesn't make the decision any less terrible however. If we had backed them up with a punt that helps our later field position and maybe gets us the score to win the game. These 2 field goal calls might just piss me off more than the whole RB thing.

5. Our team lacks discipline and consistency which has to go on the coach. He was hard on the RB's but let everyone else who made mistakes float on by. If you are going to be hard on one guy you need to be hard on the rest. The team just seemed uninspired during a lot of games like there was no real life in us. A coach should be able to change that if they want to keep their job.

Anyway, I am tired of even talking about it. If I think of more later I will add to it.
He wasn't hard on the running backs, (plural), he was hark on the running back, (singular), the one who is the best chance of the running game doing any good. I have no problem with either Dwyer or Redman behind a FB in short yardage situations, but in situations where you need at least four yards and could use a breakaway Mendenhall is the only RB on the roster for that. Tomlin has to know that, and if he doesn't he has no business coaching, and if he does he has no business coaching.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #53
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
What makes matters worse concerning Tomlin is that my buddies who are fans of other teams think he is a good coach. I then have to explain how abysmal his in game decision making is. The poor use of time outs, clock management, field goal attempts, field position mind games. I honestly believe that he adds absolutely nothing to this franchise. He hasn't been able to develop the secondary and that is his bread and butter. Our drafts under him are suspect. But, all you hear from the media (and not to sound racist-but every single black commentator ever) is how great he is so of course people not in the know think he is something he is not.
For his backers, please provide even a handful of instances where his coaching was something to be praised.
When you make a disclaimer like that then that means that you're aware that you're doing what you claim you're not trying to do. Tomlin certainly isn't above criticism and obviously a fair share can be made of him, but questions of his intelligence and implications that he's getting some kind of AA treatment are below the belt.

I also think that what you're saying is untrue. The drafts with Tomlin as HC have been pretty good. The team is loaded with talent that underachienved this year. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. This just goes to show you that it takes more than talent to win in this league, and Tomlin's job leading the team to 2 SBs(winning 1) shouldn't be underestimated. To say that he's added nothing to the franchise is just silly, and I question your intelligence for even saying that. If you don't think the 2 years that he has coached the team to the SB serve as evidence of contributing to the franchise then maybe you simply have an agenda here.

Like I've said though, he certainly isn't above criticism and personally I think that he has had a subpar year along with everybody else not on defense. I'm not concerned about his intelligence I'm concerned about his arrogance. I'm concerned about him being too arrogant thinking that he has it all figured out and not holding himself accountable. He has made some bad decisions all year. I became concerned about his willingness to admit when he's wrong when he didn't cop to the mistake of leaving Leftwich in the 1st Ravens game even after it became clear that he was too injured to play. The sloppy play at times is also a concern. Overall this season was inexcusable. Underachieving is unacceptable. However to answer the question, no way should he be fired. Another season or 2 like this one and then we could revisit.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #54
jaybird07141970
Water Boy

Member Number: 24666

with 4 seconds left , what good are two time outs going to do for you?
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life
jaybird07141970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #55
jaybird07141970
Water Boy

Member Number: 24666

tomlin sucks get rid of him
jaybird07141970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #56
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird07141970 View Post
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life
Wow! It's just football. I know this is the Steelers, and we are fanatics, but get a life. I don't think Tomlin is a very good coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if he knows it, but I don't wish him a bad life, just the end of his coaching career in Pittsburgh. He would do very well as a spokesman for the FO. He articulates nothing with the best of them, which is the most valuable skill there is in PR and marketing.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #57
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird07141970 View Post
Can't call back to back timeouts...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #58
dpc13
Water Boy

Member Number: 15222

Tomlin now reminds me of Singletary!!
dpc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #59
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

obsurd.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #60
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

In his post-game press conference, when Tomlin was asked about the Todd Haley offense, and why it devolved as the season progressed, he stated that it "...wasn't effective enough for us to win."
He, then, went on to say that "We gotta coach, and play better than we did."
You can read into it what you want, but it sounds like Todd Haley might be the one that gets the axe, after this season. If Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, and some of the other players don't want Haley, he's gone.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote