Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #21
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
Default Re: Tomlin Getting Bad Rap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Let`s hope the training staff isn`t back.
Can't blame the training staff if the players aren't willing to put in the work.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #22
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Tomlin's best attribute is he hires well and then he allows those coaches to develop players. The head coaches job is to dictate the direction of the game plan and to hold players accountable. I'm not sure you can blame a coach for players not being emotionally up for a game, that falls on the leaders in the locker room and the players themselves. I would like to see Tomlin improve on some of his in game desicions but he gets a pass from me for this year. One bad season does not make him a bad coach nor does he deserve to be fired for a bad season. If the discipline of his team doesn't improve over the course of next year then that changes.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

I don't believe Tomlin has had only one bad season as stated above. I believe he has had a few bad seasons. Also I have yet to see any one or group of players in which he has drafted, hired in to be that lead, that franchise guy-the go to guy-. I have seen Mike acquire players that are not what we need at the time. How many years of us scratching our heads at draft day on poor choices and/or during a game can you set your watch on???? The fact is that each third down we are are going to pass, this is known even in the Canadian League, why? Why did we not say to ourselves before letting Bruce Arians go.....what made Bruce special that we hired him? He took chances his play calling worked to Ben strengths, developed leaders for goodness sake. If you hire on Payton Manning you dont have your OC calling in running plays or not use him for audibles. So why in the world are you trying to change a QB that has led your team to 2 SB's and countless playoffs due to HIS play. Not what pops out of a computer as the next step for our offense. Our defense has been amazing and deserves all the cuddos!! However, its time to move on to different looks and more progressive ideas.When Troy does not really show desire, like he has in the past. When Ben play calls are frustrating him and his performance is affected, we cannot convert. I can see low morale in each and every player. Someone needs to grab these guys by the face mask and get in their faces. The "thus's, Ums, Fors" in past game interviews have got to stop. Stop diverting !!!!! Our previous coach never did that ... he took the heat, and from the loss built leaders on our team. A football team comes from the heart/desire to win and then works it's way outward. Sorry for the rant ....

Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #24
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

To be fair to Cowher, his teams consistently overachieved given their talent level. Sure they lost some big games, but it was amazing that they got there. Tomlin's had a lot more to work with, and his teams have consistently underachieved.

Cowher also had issues - remember his insane infatuation with Kordell, which lasted several seasons after it became clear that he simply wasn't an NFL QB. But he was an A level coach. Tomlin is mediocre.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
To be fair to Cowher, his teams consistently overachieved given their talent level. Sure they lost some big games, but it was amazing that they got there. Tomlin's had a lot more to work with, and his teams have consistently underachieved.

Cowher also had issues - remember his insane infatuation with Kordell, which lasted several seasons after it became clear that he simply wasn't an NFL QB. But he was an A level coach. Tomlin is mediocre.
Yes I agree , he did fix his attentions to Kordell instead of making moves to ensure a win. But he also designed a mind set within the team of give no ground only take it from them. Fundementals were key and were worked to perfect them. I guess you must look at the faults vs the gains to see who comes out on top. I simply can't tolerate someone to take credit for someone elses hard work and planning like they were involved with the entire process.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #26
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,375 Posts

the lack of leadership in general with this team is disturbing, and isn't something that can just be flipped on in the matter of 1 off season. Heath has been the only sure and steady guy on offense and has been that way since his rookie season. Its not like anyone has risen to the occasion to even be able to sound and talk like a leader, and in that position from sacrificing and rising to the occasion when things were bleak. Every person on that offense has folded when things looked bleak - I didn't see one person step into the forefront and take the reigns - not even our franchise QB. Its not like someone from WR can step up - they have no ground to stand on and will sound manufactured instead of coming from a place of experience. Extremely immature team, especially on offense.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
SteeleReign (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #27
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I wouldn't fire Tomlin over one bad season, a few more consecutive ones then we'll talk.

Hate to be in his shoes right now, especially in a meeting with the Rooneys. He's gotta have the worst gig in the NFL to meet fan and owner expectations.

I have no issues with the draft picks, I think Colbert has done an excellent job IMO. But Tomlin is a player's coach, not someone you see giving discipline out to the vets.

We'll see what happens next season.
gotta disagree. tomlin walked intio the best situation in football. stable organization, loaded with talent, best DC in football, great drafting organization, rooney rule, dont go thru HC willy nilly, huge fanbase, sold out stadiums forever. short of publicly humilating the rooney family, tomlins joib will be safe for numerous years even if he continues to take us down the crapper like he has been.
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
Quackjack
Head Coach

Member Number: 24540

God, this going to be a looooooooooooooong offseason....
Old 12-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
He has lost the respect of the locker room. This team has been on a downward spiral and Tomlin hasn't had the answer even with a hell of a talented roster.Every team has a bad year but this started a while ago
Are you Steelers player? Do you have inside access to the locker room? What do you base your wild accusations on? Is it just your demented beliefs about this coach?

And a downward spiral? when have we started a downward spiral? we are one year removed from a 12-4 season, did said downward spiral started then?

Is Tomlin perfect? not all, he had made some head scratching decisions this year, but that does not make him a bad coach, it just makes him human.

Tomlin has had a losing season during his first 6 years (this year has not finished yet. but i believe we will beat the browns.) has only missed the playoffs twice, and has had 3 12-4 seasons to boot. Oh yeah, he also won a super bowl and also took us to another one. he has a .625 winning percentage as a coach, but we are in a downward spiral?

He also has drafted well. Wallace, Bown, Sanders, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, Worilds, Dwyer, Lewis, Woodley, ETC. Sure he has drafted some busts in the early rounds, but look at any other coaches' draft, and you will see busts all over the place.
(I did not put anybody on this years draft because it is too early to tell really.)

To say that Tomlin is not a good coach, not back it up with any facts or, hell, even valid opinions, is just plain dumb.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
gotta disagree. tomlin walked intio the best situation in football. stable organization, loaded with talent, best DC in football, great drafting organization, rooney rule, dont go thru HC willy nilly, huge fanbase, sold out stadiums forever. short of publicly humilating the rooney family, tomlins joib will be safe for numerous years even if he continues to take us down the crapper like he has been.
Just as Cowher's job was safe even though he had three consecutive years of missing the playoffs in the late 90s. I even think he got an extension after one of those years too.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote