Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #31
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
no running game after adams/colon got injured

you can't be 1 dimensional in today's offense, unless you have unbelievable talent at qb (rodgers/brady/manning). ben is good but simply not as good as those 3
Yeah I used to have Ben around #4 but I think he's dropped to around #7-8. Just my opinion.

I would put all of these QBs ahead of Ben (in no particular order):
Brady
P. Manning
Brees
E. Manning
Rogers
Ryan
RG3
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
no running game after adams/colon got injured

you can't be 1 dimensional in today's offense, unless you have unbelievable talent at qb (rodgers/brady/manning). ben is good but simply not as good as those 3
i watched a number of games from each of the 3 this year. Manning & Brady are so ever blessed with stellar offensive lines - giving them all day and a nap to sit back there and throw - it actually sickens me to watch.

Rogers didn't have that blessing this year. He was sacked more than any of them. But he continually throws very quick slants to keep defenses on their toes.
Haley started the first half of this year doing just that. And it seemed to be working for Ben, just as it does for Rogers. But then - suddenly and mysteriously - we abandoned that (just as we did the run game) and switched Ben into "drop back passing" - where he of course got crushed and swarmed on again.

I still put Ben in with those other guys. I directly point to our shoddy OL play (and injuries) this year and Haley's second half of the season brain-freeze. Don't expect this to continue next year. Changes will obviously be made. Tomlin specifically pointed out offensive non-execution, so play-calling strategies are going to be a very hot number behind the scenes here.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Yeah I used to have Ben around #4 but I think he's dropped to around #7-8. Just my opinion.

I would put all of these QBs ahead of Ben (in no particular order):
Brady
P. Manning
Brees
E. Manning
Rogers
Ryan
RG3
Umm.... no. RG3 and Ryan haven't even come close to winning anything. Eli Manning has played worse than Ben (and he doesn't have injury as an excuse). Sorry, delusional thinking doesn't take away what Ben has done in the past.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #34
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Umm.... no. RG3 and Ryan haven't even come close to winning anything. Eli Manning has played worse than Ben (and he doesn't have injury as an excuse). Sorry, delusional thinking doesn't take away what Ben has done in the past.

absolutely true.

People complain about Ben doing one or two things - Manning has made a multitude of more mistakes than Ben has - and thats just this year alone. And don't forget : they're the SB defending 'champs'. I'd take Ben over E Manning any day, any time.

If Manning played HERE - and played the way he has - people would be calling for his head on the guillotine.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
People around here like to call others DELUSIONAL a lot don't they? I hope it makes you feel better.

I have bolded the important part of your response.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Water Boy

Member Number: 24488

We went 1-5 down the stretch due to Ben's lackluster play, not enough plays out of our high priced players (Harrison, Woodley, Wallace, Brown, Polamalu), coaching errors, special team play, and injuries.

A 100% total team debacle from the coaching staff down to the last special teams scrub. They deserve to be watching the playoffs from the coach and need to check themselves while they do it.
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #37
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bomber View Post
The lack of a solid running game hurt us. I am glad we got a look at what Dwyer and Redman so there were no false hopes. I am not sure whatever happened to the Mendenhall that hit the line hard, but I am tired of seeing him dance at the line. A good running game opens up so many possibilities for the QB and Wideouts, hell even Weeden and his WR's looked decent when Richardson was having a good game.

After the last few weeks, I had to keep reminding myself that even a decent running game would keep the chains moving and start beating their Defense down, instead of it being the other way around. Our wide receivers would be the envy of many teams if we could actually sell some play action pass.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Mendenhall has never hit the line hard. Never, ever. Dancing is his thing.

Also, Dwyer and Redman both showed more than enough to say goodbye to that physically gifted, but underachieving headcase. Dwyer and Redman both have proven they can outproduce Mendy just based on desire and effort.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #38
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Mendenhall has never hit the line hard. Never, ever. Dancing is his thing.

Also, Dwyer and Redman both showed more than enough to say goodbye to that physically gifted, but underachieving headcase. Dwyer and Redman both have proven they can outproduce Mendy just based on desire and effort.
Personally, I could live without all 3 of them...
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #39
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
People around here like to call others DELUSIONAL a lot don't they? I hope it makes you feel better.

I have bolded the important part of your response.
Which is more than most of the QBs you've listen have done in the past....
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #40
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Which is more than most of the QBs you've listen have done in the past....
Yes and the past is great but leaves us home for the playoffs today. If you want to talk about CAREER rankings that's fine, but there were clearly 7-8 QBs who outplayed Ben this year. That's my point.