Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #101
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,253 Times in 665 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
So who are you thinking about replacing Tomlin with?
Not sure. Dream come true would be Cowher back. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

In any case, we would have a year to find a good choice.

Quote:
Why wouldn't you be concerned about the precedent that that would set?
I am concerned. But my other concern is letting a guy continue off of reputation alone if they aren't producing results.

Quote:
I just don't understand the lack of respect that fans here have for Tomlin and the overall job that he's done since replacing Cowher.
My lack of respect comes from seeing him make decisions that even retards could make better.

Quote:
Tomlin just had the team in the SB the season before last, yet some of you are saying he's on his last chance? Doesn't make much sense.
It does make sense. As I have already pointed out. You just don't like it.

SB -> out in the first round of the playoffs -> can't even make the playoffs in a weak division. It is a disturbing trend.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #102
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
Well you quoted me so I will answer for myself. At what point did you get the impression I wasn't sticking with the team? If I wasn't sticking with the team I wouldn't care that we have had one of worst seasons I have ever watched and I wouldn't care who was coaching and what decisions they made.

Anyway, I am with the team. I am not with the coach who is dragging our team down.

Look, I am all for loyalty and love that our team stays so consistent. The problem here, is that there are VERY clear decisions that all fall on Tomlins head that were terrible and you can see our teams progression.

Superbowl, first round of the playoffs, not even in the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is getting to a time when the original team he inherited is not going to be there anymore and it is starting to truly become the team he is building. I don't like what I am seeing.

So I will meet you in the middle. We can see what happens next year. If we miss the playoffs again, I say we let him go and start fresh. This team is too talented not to AT LEAST make the playoffs. Especially considering how bad our division actually was this year.
I was talking about the fans that have only been negative about the team for the last part of this season. I should have made that more clear, I was just quoting you when it came to Tomlin and Cowher. I do see your point with the regression over the past three years. Tomlin definitely deserves to come back and if the season next year is like this then we could talk about him leaving more seriously. He did make many mistakes but so did the players themselves and injuries were a big problem.
kent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #103
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

You all are totally wrong on Tomlin rebuilding the team. He has great players. He just doesn't seem to be able to motivate them to play hard every single game. Belicheat will send your ass packing right off the team if you are a slacker just collecting a paycheck. I really think it is time for LeBeau to hang it up and switch to a 4-3. Every team in the league knows how to attack the Steelers 3-4 with the 10 yard gaps on the WRs. They just throw an out route and pick up the 7-8 yards they need on third down. This leads to scores or bad field position for the Steelers because there are no 3 and outs. Game in and game out. This team was very disappointing to watch this year. They showed just enough flashes of good play to keep us hoping they would gel later on. Tomlin is going nowhere unfortunately. But the elder Rooney will be back from Ireland so I hope he lights a fire under the coaching staff.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LVSteelersfan For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-25-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #104
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
You all are totally wrong on Tomlin rebuilding the team. He has great players. He just doesn't seem to be able to motivate them to play hard every single game. Belicheat will send your ass packing right off the team if you are a slacker just collecting a paycheck. I really think it is time for LeBeau to hang it up and switch to a 4-3. Every team in the league knows how to attack the Steelers 3-4 with the 10 yard gaps on the WRs. They just throw an out route and pick up the 7-8 yards they need on third down. This leads to scores or bad field position for the Steelers because there are no 3 and outs. Game in and game out. This team was very disappointing to watch this year. They showed just enough flashes of good play to keep us hoping they would gel later on. Tomlin is going nowhere unfortunately. But the elder Rooney will be back from Ireland so I hope he lights a fire under the coaching staff.
Steelers would be lost without LeBeau. Him and his defensive scheme kept this team competitive and alive this season.

The majority of the blame lies on the offense which repeatedly shot itself in the foot with 3 and outs, negative plays and a plethora of turnovers.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
Millers the sh!t (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #105
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665

:
Quote:
Not sure. Dream come true would be Cowher back. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

In any case, we would have a year to find a good choice.

Wow, thank goodness that you're not running a franchise that I root for. You seem to be completely oblivious. Good coaches aren't a dime a dozen, and how would the Steelers have a year to find one? Do you expect them to look during the season while Tomlin is still the guy? How old are you?

I am concerned. But my other concern is letting a guy continue off of reputation alone if they aren't producing results.

Tomlin has produced though. Again, the team was just in the SB and was 12-4 the 2 seasons before this one.

My lack of respect comes from seeing him make decisions that even retards could make better.

I think that you're giving yourself too much credit, I don't know if you could have done any better. Jokes aside, you don't think that you're being a little irrational? I think that Tomlin has made some bad decisions as well, but the bad decisions that he's made this year don't outweigh the success that he has led the team to over the course of his 6 seasons. Your lack of respect is a result of being ignorant.

It does make sense. As I have already pointed out. You just don't like it.

SB -> out in the first round of the playoffs -> can't even make the playoffs in a weak division. It is a disturbing trend.

I'll tell you what's disturbing, fans who are as cluelessly spoiled as you. You don't make any sense. No team is guranteed to make the playoffs and win games every year. Evidently it's not as simple or as easy as you think it is, don't you think? The team was just in the SB in 2010, but because they lost in the 1st round last year and didn't make the playoffs this year Tomlin should be fired? Obviously you weren't around when Cowher missed the playoffs 3 straight years. This isn't a franchise that makes knee-jerk reactions and fires coaches willy-nilly. Don't know why so many socalled fans don't understand that.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LLoyd&Greene For This Useful Post:
kent (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #106
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,253 Times in 665 Posts

L&G.....If you don't mind could you not respond inside the quotes like that? It makes it harder to respond to the specific points.

Quote:
Wow, thank goodness that you're not running a franchise that I root for. You seem to be completely oblivious.
Pot calling the kettle black methinks.

Quote:
Good coaches aren't a dime a dozen, and how would the Steelers have a year to find one? Do you expect them to look during the season while Tomlin is still the guy?
They could certainly start considering options if not outright speaking to specific people. Keep their eyes on people they like etc....

Quote:
How old are you?

Quote:
Tomlin has produced though. Again, the team was just in the SB and was 12-4 the 2 seasons before this one.
As I have pointed out, he is on a downward trend you seem to want to ignore. You are doing exactly what I don't want to see which is living off of old successes. His old successes are why I have said to give him another year. But what if we miss the playoffs again? What if we are out in the first round?

And I want to stress that I wouldn't even be so hard on him if we had a worse team but as you yourself point out, we have a team that has been the SB and been 12-4. So we have the talent to do it. Coaching has to be better though.

Quote:
I think that Tomlin has made some bad decisions as well, but the bad decisions that he's made this year don't outweigh the success that he has led the team to over the course of his 6 seasons.
It depends on how you view it. If it were minor things I might agree with you. However, he is having major malfunctions in his decisions. One of the worst calls I have ever seen made was having Shuisam attempt from 54. So you can argue well....He probably showed the leg for it in practice so we gave him a chance. Cool. He had his chance and blew it. The problem is, Tomlin made the same call TWICE......TWICE. He mad the worst call I have ever seen TWICE in the same year and one of them was during what was basically a playoff game.

Quote:
Your lack of respect is a result of being ignorant.
Again, pot calling the kettle black. You seem blind to what is right in front of you. You are ignoring current problems because of past successes.

Quote:
I'll tell you what's disturbing, fans who are as cluelessly spoiled as you.
Pot kettle. Pot kettle. Pot kettle. If nothing else, you are consistent.

Quote:
Evidently it's not as simple or as easy as you think it is, don't you think? The team was just in the SB in 2010, but because they lost in the 1st round last year and didn't make the playoffs this year Tomlin should be fired?
No. He should be fired if he doesn't get results next year, as I have already conceded.

And it kind of is as simple as I think. Again, I go back to the FG. That call cost us the game the first time Tomlin made the call. That one game has us in the playoffs or still in the hunt at this point.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #107
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665

Quote:
They could certainly start considering options if not outright speaking to specific people. Keep their eyes on people they like etc....
Well you can't look for a coach without speaking to people to see who would or wouldn't be a good fit for your organization. I don't even know what "Keep their eyes on people they like" means.

Quote:
As I have pointed out, he is on a downward trend you seem to want to ignore. You are doing exactly what I don't want to see which is living off of old successes. His old successes are why I have said to give him another year. But what if we miss the playoffs again? What if we are out in the first round?
The team has been 12-4 the 2 previous seasons including a SB sappearance and you act as if I'm living way in the past. I'm not ignoring anything, you're just being irrational. Forget all of that "what if" negative talk. What if we bounce back and win the SB next year? Why aren't you thinking like that instead of being Debbie Downer ready to flip out and fire the coach because we had 1 disappointing season? There are a number of people who are culpable for the way this season has gone, it's not all on Tomlin.

Quote:
And I want to stress that I wouldn't even be so hard on him if we had a worse team but as you yourself point out, we have a team that has been the SB and been 12-4. So we have the talent to do it. Coaching has to be better though.
Yes, coaching has to be better going forward but players will obviously have to play better too. Coaches aren't out there dropping the ball, fumbling the ball, throwing inexcusable picks, or making boneheaded mistakes/penalties. There's nothing wrong with being disapppointed but if you're a true fan then I don't see why you're being so irrational. Even thinking of firing Tomlin at this point is just a dumb idea. It's stupid.

Quote:
It depends on how you view it. If it were minor things I might agree with you. However, he is having major malfunctions in his decisions. One of the worst calls I have ever seen made was having Shuisam attempt from 54. So you can argue well....He probably showed the leg for it in practice so we gave him a chance. Cool. He had his chance and blew it. The problem is, Tomlin made the same call TWICE......TWICE. He mad the worst call I have ever seen TWICE in the same year and one of them was during what was basically a playoff game.
Now you're just being hyperbolic. It was a bad call, and I was yelling at the TV telling Tomlin to punt the ball when he made it. It was hardly the worst call ever or anything close to that though. If I'm not mistaken, the kicker has only missed 3 fgs all year, and 1 of them wasn't his fault. It's quite possible that he had been making them from that far consistently in practice and that's why Tomlin gave him the opportunity to win the game. If he had made the kick nobody would criticize the decision and we'd all be happy.. Tomlin obviously had faith that the defense could bail us out and he was right in that regard. We lost the game because Ben threw an inexcusable pick, not because of Tomlin's bad call. To reiterate and make it clear, it was Ben's decison-making that cost the Steelers the game not Tomlin's.

Quote:
Pot kettle. Pot kettle. Pot kettle. If nothing else, you are consistent.
I'm starting to think that this "pot calling the kettle black" phrase is one that you've just learned or you're just trying to be slick. Either way it's clear that you have no idea what it means. Why don't you explain how I'm acting like a spoiled fan? This should be good.

Quote:
No. He should be fired if he doesn't get results next year, as I have already conceded.

And it kind of is as simple as I think. Again, I go back to the FG. That call cost us the game the first time Tomlin made the call. That one game has us in the playoffs or still in the hunt at this point.
Actually neither of those calls cost us the game. Imo the Titan game was not lost on Tomlin's decision to attempt that fg, it was lost in the 59 mins of lethargic football that the team played before that. That game shouldn't have come down to us attempting a 54 yd fg to win the game. You go for the win on the road, you don't play for overtime. The Bengals game wasn't lost on Tomlin's call either, as I've already explained. I put that lost on Ben, Haley, and the offense. The field goal team helped lose the game as well.

Tomlin's job is secure as well it should be. Sure he will have to make some adjustments and he's probably going to have to kick some ass next year, but he should not be on any kind of hot-seat. I'm not worried about the team not making the playoffs or not being improved as a team because I have confidence in not only Tomlin, but the organization as a whole from the players to the FO. They've earned it.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #108
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

Quote:
Well your agenda against Tomlin is palpable. Obviously you're not being objective here. Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for being unapolegetically racist as an anonymous person on the internet. That takes so much courage, you're so brave.

A few questions though. Did you know who Bill Cowher was before he was hired? Did you approve of his resume, because it wasn't all that much better or extensive than Tomlin's was? Both Cowher and Tomlin were hired when they were about 35 years old with minimal coaching experience including no HC experience, yet some of you want to act like the Tomlin hire is something that the franchise has never done. You're trying to paint Tomlin as some type of AA HC who's proven himself unworthy of the job. That insults me as a Steelers fan who happens to be black. Tomlin has not been a perfect coach by any stretch and this season is a big disappointment. However, Tomlin's overall record and resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself and fans who are still questioning whether he can do the job sound silly. If he couldn't do the job then he wouldn't have 2 SB appearances under his belt. I know I know, any success the team has had has been achieved despite Tomlin while he's responsible for everything that's gone wrong. That's how it goes with people like you, right?

This isn't true. Like you've already admitted, you(and others like you) have always had an agenda against Tomlin. You just couldn't express that anti-Tomlin agenda when we were winning without exposing yourself even more than you're doing now. I honestly wish that 99.9% of Steelers fans didn't care that Tomlin is black but apparently that's not true. You also need to get off of your high-horse and stop being disingenuous. This team is no more unclassy than some of the teams under Cowher. I certainly remember Hines Ward mimmicking the end zone celebrations of players from opposing teams. Was that classy? How about my main man J Peazy and his infamous list of antics? Are you a new Steelers fan?

Switzer was in Dallas for just 3 seasons and resigned after going 6-10 in his 3rd season. Tomlin has already coached the Steelers for twice as long, has been to twice as many SBs, and has never gone 6-10. Can we stop trying to make that comparison? Again, I agree with a lot of the criticisms made about the job that Tomlin has done this season. I think that we all want to see the problems plaguing the team be corrected. My issue is with the personal attacks towards Tomlin. My issue is with fans who have an agenda against him based on other ish and are using this season as an excuse to justify their non-football related agenda.If the truth hurts........... The reasons that you and others have listed to support saying that Tomlin's not a good coach don't hold water. His resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself. This isn't the only season that he's been the HC and a lot of the problems that haunted the team this season weren't there in his previous year's leading the team. It's ok to be disappointed, but it's not cool to be ignorant. You're ignorant, meaning you dont know what you're talking about. Tomlin has coached the team to being a joke? 2 SB appreances in 6 years is a joke?
I call them like I see them. Since any criticism of a black man is racist nowadays, I guess I'm guilty. Hell, it's how Obama was elected, twice. Talk about someone with no resume and no record.

Anyway, back to Tomlin. If you reread my original post, you'll see that I was one of the few defending Tomlin. He's not a good coach. But how could we expect anything different? The blame lies with Rooney, for not only hiring Tomlin, but accepting this primadonna culture that's plaguing this team. And yes, it started back with Cowher. And Ben (a white guy) was/is a major part of that. Why should we have thought Tomlin would know how/when to go for 2, when to try field goals, how to use timeouts, how to discipline and manage personnel, etc? He has NEVER done any of that his entire life. His poor coaching decisions are no suprise to me, and they are no fault of his own.

He has led the team to 2 superbowls, and that can't or shouldn't be overlooked. He has had much success here, and again, I"m not calling for him to be fired. But he needs to change some things, including himself, if he intends on coaching here. And he cannot and should not be above criticism, regardless of the color of his skin.

And since you have still not answered my question (instead choosing to call me racist), I'll ask one more time. What on his resume propelled him into coaching this franchise? If it wasn't an AA/Rooney rule hire, and i hope it wasn't, then what was it that separated him from the other candidates? If it was his experience and record, then let's hear it. Personally I hope we go 16-0 and win a Superbowl each and every year, and I'd love it if Tomlin were the coach to lead us.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #109
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,014 Times in 3,726 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
What on his resume propelled him into coaching this franchise? If it wasn't an AA/Rooney rule hire, and i hope it wasn't, then what was it that separated him from the other candidates? If it was his experience and record, then let's hear it. Personally I hope we go 16-0 and win a Superbowl each and every year, and I'd love it if Tomlin were the coach to lead us.
What I remember reading or hearing was that Tomlin blew them away in the interviews. (And my assumption) Probably got a great recommendation from Tony Dungy, a pittsburgh guy who was getting a lot of credit for the Colts success at the time.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #110
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
What I remember reading or hearing was that Tomlin blew them away in the interviews. (And my assumption) Probably got a great recommendation from Tony Dungy, a pittsburgh guy who was getting a lot of credit for the Colts success at the time.
Thank you. While I don't agree that a stellar interview and recommendation makes someone with no experience the ideal candidate, at least it's an explanation. I remember the interview being a determining factor too.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote