Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598
Default Will James Harrison Be Back In 2013?

James Harrison will be 35 at the start of next season. Before the 2009 season, Harrison signed a $51 million dollar, six year deal with the Steelers. He is expected to make over $5.3 million in 2013, all of which counts against the salary cap.

Last August, Harrison underwent arthroscopic knee surgery, which was slow healing, causing him to miss the first four games of this season. When he came back, he did not return to100% the entire season and it showed in his play on the field. Harrison claims that he will be back to full speed next year, but that has yet to be proven.

The questions are: Do the Steelers keep an aging linebacker, with a bad knee, that will cost them over 5 million dollars against the cap in 2013? Do they replace him with Jason Worilds, a 2010 second round pick, who, coming of an injury himself, excelled as a backup this season?
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,350 Times in 4,005 Posts
Default Re: Will James Harrison Be Back In 2013?

Not at that cap hit he isn't. He's still not 100% and at 35, I doubt he's ever going to be again. He was a shell of his former self when he came back and isn't worth the money. I also don't think Worilds is the answer and they're going to have to draft an outside 'backer to play opposite Woodley.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

His cap hit next year is actually 10 and some change. Troy's will be the same, and I wouldn't keep either.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

I say keep him. He adds that nasty attitude and turn over factor this defense was neglecting us fans last season. James was starting to look like the James we all knew more and more each week. It took a few weeks to knock the rust off but he was consistently getting better and I believe in the last two weeks alone he made more sacks and turnovers than Woodley has all season. If James is healthy and doesn't require any surgeries or downtime this off season, I say let the man stay. If they let Aaron smith keep the pine bench warm for two seasons then I say let James stay for the 2013 season. James is a fucking beast man.... If he were healthy all season we'd probably have an extra 5-7 sacks and 2+ forced fumble turnovers. The man is a fumble forcing machine when healthy..... Which hopefully hell be all off season.
cowherpower (12-29-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,083 Times in 3,413 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

At this point there's really no telling. I wouldn't be surprised either way. He has been looking like he could lose a little bit of weight, but what the hell do I know? He definitely did a good job getting back to playing at a higher level, just not the level we expect from him.

We all knew this was going to be an issue when they gave him a 6 yr contract when he was what 30-31? They must have had a plan at the time.

The front office is going to have to figure out who's worth keeping, who they want to invest in, and all that. I think Harrison should take a cut, but I don't think that will ever happen.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
His cap hit next year is actually 10 and some change. Troy's will be the same, and I wouldn't keep either.

Damn for real? That's a lot of cash. You think we could get trades for any of them?

The Rooney way of not keeping players past their primes has kind of went out the window ever since uncle Tomlin took over. I have a feeling both men stay next season...... Weather they should or not. You have to admit though Silverback was getting better every week and was contributing to the team with big sacks and turnovers in key moments of many games...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

I would have to sit both James and Troy down and give them an altimatum.
Slim down, stay physical, and take a pay cut and if you don't like that, theres the door.
No hard feelings.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVABE For This Useful Post:
Stairway2-7 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,083 Times in 3,413 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
I would have to sit both James and Troy down and give them an altimatum.
Slim down, stay physical, and take a pay cut and if you don't like that, theres the door.
No hard feelings.
sounds fair to me. These are two players that, if healthy all season, will give us a legitimate chance at competing for a SB. Coaches and FO are just going to have to determine whether they have the players to fill in behind these two, or if there is a player that we need to invest in (Wallace for example). We'll see were they go, but like I said, wouldn't be surprised either way.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Damn for real? That's a lot of cash. You think we could get trades for any of them?

The Rooney way of not keeping players past their primes has kind of went out the window ever since uncle Tomlin took over. I have a feeling both men stay next season...... Weather they should or not. You have to admit though Silverback was getting better every week and was contributing to the team with big sacks and turnovers in key moments of many games...
This is true. Of the two of them losing Harrison would hurt worse, IMO. Going into this year all of Steeler Nation had a major hard on for Troy, with many claiming he was the only thing that was holding our D together. I wasn't on board with that, and think this season proved we'll be fine without him. When the coaches had no choice but to push in the young players in the secondary, yes we had some bumps, but most of them came together and proved they could get it done. Lewis and Allen really came through. TBH, I think our young CB's do better in pass coverage when we have the more traditional safety role, instead of Troy roaming around wherever.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

look at the moeny that is being WASTED on polomalu, harrison and woodley
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote