Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Who's the Better Leader
Big Ben 23 36.51%
Terry Bradshaw 40 63.49%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #41
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Who's the Better Leader?

I wasn't around during the 70's but I'm voting for Terry on virtue of not shitting all over himself in do-or-die situations like Ben has. Terry has two Super Bowl MVP's. Ben is still looking for his first one.

Terry doesn't lose to teams on caliber as the 2012 Raiders, Titans, or Chargers. Or the 2009 Raiders and Browns.

Ben just strikes me as a guy who really doesn't give a shit about preparation (There were talks of that) and is an incompetent leader on the Steelers Offense. Too much of damn "nice guy" to call teammates out and inspire them to do better. Why is it that year after year we're seeing the same old offensive gaffes like Untimely penalties, Red Zone Failures, blown deep balls, and boneheaded plays. You don't see that happening with Brady, Manning, or Brees under Center. They make mistakes, but they do their best to minimize them. Ben simply put just doesn't give a shit. Those QB's get their Offenses on the same page or else. Manning made the Broncos into one of the best teams in the AFC in no time flat. Put Ben on another team and I don't see the same thing happening. I don't get the vibe of players wanting to go to hell for this guy on the field, but they for sure would want to hang out with him off the field, though.

Tom Brady doesn't lose to Tim Tebow or a 13-10 contest to a division rival with the season on the line. AT HOME. To beat Tom Brady, you need your best effort. To beat Ben Roethlisberger, you just need to be barely competent.

Sunday's disaster really put a HUGE damper on Ben for me. How the hell do you as a veteran QB. come out so ill-prepared to play? The Defense puts up an inspiring effort for the home crowd and he still has his thumb up his ass. Our "Leader", Ladies and Gentleman. The 2012 Steelers were a team desperate for leadership, and Ben is not a good leader at the moment. He's just a perpetual adolescent. Just like Brett Favre.

Fuck this "Don't criticize" bullcrap. I don't have to accept garbage and be happy with it. Ben has earned every last bit of criticism.

Last edited by Edman; 12-25-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-07-2013)
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #42
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
The problem with this kind of debate: it quickly descends into political-esque theatrics. Instead of simply cheering for whom you prefer, it becomes all about mudslinging.

Let's use Superman versus Batman as an allegory.

"Superman is better, because he can fly"
"Batman is better, because he has no superpowers; just sheer will power."

[It starts off well.]

"Eff Batman!!! He's a spoiled billionaire."
"Yeah, well, Superman looks like a pansy in his colored tights."

[Hark... it unravels further...]

"Anyone who likes Batman is a dumb-ass."
"Those who like Superman are low in IQ."

[Et cetera.]

What both sides of this debate need to realize is that BOTH players are great... or, using the superhero analogy, neither one of them is Aquaman.
"... Aquaman???

... he's a friggin' Dolphins-fan!!!"
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #43
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

Who is the better leader, Terry or Ben?

Terry was allowed to call his own plays on every down. Ben is not given the freedom to do that, but there have been times when he carried this team on his shoulders. In seasons past, he put his body on the line, taking hits after he unloaded the ball down-field, and running the bootleg for scores when nothing else would work. Win, or lose, he takes responsibility for the way the offense plays.
Bradshaw was a great quarterback, a very important player on the team, and a leader, but not as ingrained in the Steeler offense as Ben Roethlisberger is today.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #44
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Yeah, Terry JUST HAPPENED TO BE THERE for 4 Super Bowl wins.
He had nothing to do with it; he was lucky and went along for the ride.
I'm guessing you never saw Terry play in live action, just on tapes and DVD's.
Did you know... Terry Bradshaw is tied with Joe Montana for most consecutive playoff games with at least 2 throwing TDs with 7? Did you know that Bradshaw's career postseason rating is 83.0 and Roethlisberger's is 83.7?
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #45
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

As great as he was, Terry was way before my time. I can't vote.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #46
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

If Ben wins another Super Bowl, I think he will be the only offensive starter from the 2005 champs. That would be an accomplishment.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #47
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

When I started watching the Steelers way back in the mid-60's our QB's were guys like Kent Nix and Dick Shiner-(yes that was his real name), so I'm just glad we've had both Terry and Ben through the years. As far as on the field leadership, I would have to lean towards Ben because he never had near the talent around him as Terry did. Plus I still remember Terry being benched on occasion for Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam. In fact Gilliam started the first half of the season during our first Super Bowl year. After sitting for several games and watching from the bench, when Noll decided to give Bradshaw another chance he became a different player and his career really took off then.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #48
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Im a Big Ben fan for sure but I had to say Bradshaw. Its just..sometimes Ben doeant take enough responsibility. Sometimes he doesnt know when to shut up. Quite frankly sometimes he is just plain selfish. But I would agree that can be said of most players.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Probably the best leader wasn't either one, it was Rocky Bleier. I mean he led troops into real battle and was wounded from a grenade that blew off part of his foot. It kind of put things in perspective when we talk about Terry going to "war" against the Oilers, or Ben "under fire" from the Ravens pass rush.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,796 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
If Ben wins another Super Bowl, I think he will be the only offensive starter from the 2005 champs. That would be an accomplishment.
That's because he keeps getting surrounded by dozens of HOF offensive players. They just don't stay around very long. If it weren't for all these incredibly talented players, Ben would hardly ever win a game.

I haven't voted, and I probably won't. As I've said in multiple posts, I love both these guys and what they've helped our team accomplish. I know Ben has had his issues. That has been well documented here. Terry played great in big games, no doubt about it. But the difference in talent level is staggering. Ben has done more with MUCH less. I also understand supporting Terry, but he was not a leader on that team. Many times he sulked in the locker room, and he was legendarily insecure. That doesn't sound like a great leader to me. The 70's teams had so much talent and leadership everywhere, that his support system was superior. Ben had a great leader like Bettis, but nowhere near the number of true profussionals Terry had standing beside him.

In the end, I'm just happy we have had a chance to watch and root for both of them. I don't think many are going to know how good Ben is until he's not playing anymore. That's the sad thing about this, and what we should learn from how history has treated Terry Bradshaw.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote