Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: If Not Tomlin then who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Here's the list of candidates I'd talk to:

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

I think every single one of these guys is more qualified to be a HC then Mike Tomlin... obviously the Rooney's don't look for experience..they look for personality. So not sure who else out there has that edge the Rooney's like..but I have to think there are plenty of candidates out there. That said, I wouldn't fire Tomlin this off season if I were the GM. I'd have a serious sit down with MIke... I'd make sure he realizes he needs to step it up...and I'd make sure he knows next year is do or die.
How would any of those guy out perform Tomlin? You might as well take Cowher and Wiz off of that list because neither one of those guys are realistic choices to come here.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
hwalker84
Water Boy

Member Number: 24049

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I, for one, am a STRONG supporter of Tomlin.

I think he has the combination of intelligence, energy and risk taking that I like in a head coach. He is young as well and will gather experience that will serve him in future years.

I am sure he is more disappointed than any of us can imagine. For now, he is the one I want for head coach.

If you want your football team to change head coaches with a recent bad season - you are rooting for the wrong team as a Steeler fan and so be ready for years and years of disappointment. I would suggest you go root for the Redskins or Cowboys.
I couldn't agree more. 12-4 season to a 7-9 or 8-8 season. GET THE MAN OUT!! Absurd.
hwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
How would any of those guy out perform Tomlin? You might as well take Cowher and Wiz off of that list because neither one of those guys are realistic choices to come here.

Why wouldn't they out perform the Tomlin lead steelers?

IMO they have the skills to improve on the things that need improving...Leadership being number 1. I think these guys would truly have accountability and I think these guys would bring what's been lacking... consistency and precision.

Our team has lacked focus... they are not detail orientated at all... I think these guys would be. We are mistake prone and not efficient. I think these candidates would be guys that will prepare the players to win. I also think these guys would not cost us games due to ill advised decisions. They all have skills.. What is Mike Tomlin's expertise? Leadership? Offense? Defense? X's and O's ? Can anyone answer that about our HC?

IMO we are a playoff caliber team that is playing beneath our ability...as a team. Defensively we are fine... offensive efficiency, ST's, and game decisions have been poor...and that's been the issue for some time now. Sure Cowher's teams were never offensive juggernauts... but they were efficient... they didn't make crucial mistakes once we got a good QB....and you had faith come game time the coach wasn't going to do something stupid on a regular basis.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Here's the list of candidates I'd talk to:

Bill Cowher
Ken Whizenhunt
Dick Lebeau
Vic Fangio
Tom Clements
Keith Butler

I think every single one of these guys is more qualified to be a HC then Mike Tomlin... obviously the Rooney's don't look for experience..they look for personality. So not sure who else out there has that edge the Rooney's like..but I have to think there are plenty of candidates out there. That said, I wouldn't fire Tomlin this off season if I were the GM. I'd have a serious sit down with MIke... I'd make sure he realizes he needs to step it up...and I'd make sure he knows next year is do or die.
-Doubt Cowher wants to come back. He's had a lot of offers and seems to have declined them all. Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.

-Whiz, not impressed. Good OC, not great HC.

-Lebeau has been a head coach before, and sucked at it. Plus, he's too old to take on any kind of permanent position like that. If he's DC next year, I guarantee it'll be his last.

The other 3 (aside from Butler) I don't know much about. Butler would probably be my pick out of any of the ones you mentioned.

I myself would stick with Tomlin though. And I agree that maybe he needs to step it up. I trust the Rooney's decision in this regard though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Why wouldn't they out perform the Tomlin lead steelers?

IMO they have the skills to improve on the things that need improving...Leadership being number 1. I think these guys would truly have accountability and I think these guys would bring what's been lacking... consistency and precision.

Our team has lacked focus... they are not detail orientated at all... I think these guys would be. We are mistake prone and not efficient. I think these candidates would be guys that will prepare the players to win. I also think these guys would not cost us games due to ill advised decisions. They all have skills.. What is Mike Tomlin's expertise? Leadership? Offense? Defense? X's and O's ? Can anyone answer that about our HC?

IMO we are a playoff caliber team that is playing beneath our ability...as a team. Defensively we are fine... offensive efficiency, ST's, and game decisions have been poor...and that's been the issue for some time now. Sure Cowher's teams were never offensive juggernauts... but they were efficient... they didn't make crucial mistakes once we got a good QB....and you had faith come game time the coach wasn't going to do something stupid on a regular basis.
Tomlins expertise is defense, specifically defensive backs. I'm just not sure that firing a coach that has had back to back 12-4 seasons and has been to the SB twice and winning one is an entirely bright move.

How much of the onus is on Tomlin for poor execution? These are highly paid professional players and in my opinion its up to them to have themselves ready both physically and mentally on game day. Now I will concede that Tomlin has made some real bone headed mistakes during some games, but not the tune of being fired. At least not in my opinion anyways.

I am however concerned about this teams overall health the last few years, a lot of soft tissue injuries, which seem to point to overall conditioning. So maybe there is something there to be fixed. Hopefully Tomlin will address our training staff this off-season.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

What I do not understand from some of the posters is this, You are not happy with the way the season turned out or how last year turned out either. Good ,neither am I. I bet Tomlin is not happy, or Ben, or Rooney, or anybody else that are part of the Steelers or a fan. But here is the skinny, Do you honestly believe that wholesale changes such as firing your head coach is going to fix it, and if so how long before we see it? Are you the same people who called for Arians and now your pissed because we were just as anemic on offense. The run game didn't go the way you thought? I read Whizzes name and Ryan, and have heard Andy Reid, sorry but are not all of them on the chopping block after sterling seasons?

You want to replace Ben, OK, With who? I mean the Steelers have a track record of quality QBs in the last 25 years before Ben. Lets get rid of Wallace I am sure that is no problem to replace, just watch how quick he is picked up, (much like Arians), lets Dump Mendenhall too, I mean we got a stable full of quality RBs that showed so much promise this year. I have some earth shattering news for everyone, What if?, we are not as talented as some fans think. What if our WRs while pretty good is NOT a top 5, or even top 10 receiving corp. They are undersized, alot of drops, some have been know to run wrong routes occasionally. And what about those RBs, rarely see any runs to the outside, and few runs that net significant yards up the gut. How bout the OL they have trouble opening holes for those RBs and while better at pass protection they sometimes just seem to 'OLE those edge rushers.

And Ben all I can say is he is not Peyton or Brady,(but who is) Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Luck all locked up, so no trading him there, how bout we trade Ben and Tomlin to the Jets for Sanchez and Ryan? The only man on the entire offense who played up to his potential for the season is Heath MiIler, trouble is it took a new offense to showcase him, I thought he was one of the best before Haley came along. Truth be know we have some talent on offense but not so much as to think we can score 30+ points a game. I myself would settle for 21-25 pts a game, play good defense, and quit turning the ball over. I do not give a ratsazz if we do it running or passing, or even if the defense wants to contribute a score every now and then ( our number one defense has scored 1 td each of the last two years, Tampa Bay last in pass defense has score 3 this year). So I will continue to read all the posts of getting rid of this and that but until someone comes up with some suitable replacements then I suggest you get used to a lot of the same group next year.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,270 Times in 885 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky

Honestly, why does a new fire Tomlin thread have to show up after every loss? What does the man have to do? With him at the helm, the franchise has been to two super bowls and one victory, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons. Why even bother talking about head coaching candidates? Sorry, Tomlin haters, he's not going anywhere. And let's say the Steelers actually did fire Tomlin, I guarantee many teams in the league would fire their head coaches right then and there just to hire Tomlin. It's been a down year, but the Steelers will rebound, just as they rebounded from their previous down season.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
Honestly, why does a new fire Tomlin thread have to show up after every loss? What does the man have to do? With him at the helm, the franchise has been to two super bowls and one victory, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons. Why even bother talking about head coaching candidates? Sorry, Tomlin haters, he's not going anywhere. And let's say the Steelers actually did fire Tomlin, I guarantee many teams in the league would fire their head coaches right then and there just to hire Tomlin. It's been a down year, but the Steelers will rebound, just as they rebounded from their previous down season.
You are new to the board and I know you don't know this but you might as well hear it from me. All of Tomlins success is due to Cowher's players. Sorry you did not know this but its better I break it to you then some of the Haters who will shout it from the roof tops.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Player talent isn't the issue with Tomlin, OC isn't the issue with Tomlin, injuries isn't the issue either. Management at the end of games has been his major issue with shitty game planning. He was bailed out of a lot of big games by Big Ben and now that Ben hasn't been clutch lately, it has produced losses in bunches. Tomlin has the sack to go for it when you need to, I'll give him that, but he isn't very good at game planning. Every game is the same, keep it close, wait until the end and then we lose in the last 2 min or we win. To me, that is a sign of someone who cant game plan before and take advantage of the other teams weaknesses. A team that continues to lose to shitty teams shows me that the coach isn't getting his team prepped enough.

I do not dislike Tomlin, but, he doesn't do anything for me to be honest. He is a system coach. Is there someone better out there? Probably not. Anyone worth anything for me isn't gonna be available.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

If the Steelers were looking for a new head coach, they would avoid bringing in any big-name coaches, with previous experience, like a Jon Gruden, for example. Those type of coaches want control of the team, but the Rooneys don't want to give it up. Since the end of the Chuck Knoll era, the Steelers have had a hierarchy in place, with the Rooneys having final say as to who comes, and who goes. That includes assistant coaches, and players. When the Rooneys bring in a new head coach, they want someone, who is willing to work under the general manager, and the owners. That usually means a young, up-and-coming coach, who just wants the opportunity to become a head coach, and is not necessarily concerned about having full authority.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote