Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
rpbncb
Water Boy

Member Number: 24679
Default Re: If Not Tomlin then who?

Tomlin sucks !!! he wasn't even qualified to be a head coach, let alone HC of the Steelers. He was hired because of the so called Rooney Rule so as to set an example for the rest of the NFL. Needless to say, the results are in and he has failed miserably. The Rooney's won't fire him cause that would be admitting their mistake. I have been a die hard steelers fan for 40 plus years and 2012 was the most pathetic display of steelers football that i have seen. And yes, Dumb-Lin is responsible for getting his players in shape mentally as well as physically. Coaching under Dumb-Lin has and will continue to be a joke unless someone takes charge over there !!!
rpbncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #22
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,378 Times in 2,078 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbncb View Post
Tomlin sucks !!! he wasn't even qualified to be a head coach, let alone HC of the Steelers. He was hired because of the so called Rooney Rule so as to set an example for the rest of the NFL. Needless to say, the results are in and he has failed miserably. The Rooney's won't fire him cause that would be admitting their mistake. I have been a die hard steelers fan for 40 plus years and 2012 was the most pathetic display of steelers football that i have seen. And yes, Dumb-Lin is responsible for getting his players in shape mentally as well as physically. Coaching under Dumb-Lin has and will continue to be a joke unless someone takes charge over there !!!
He was a SB winning DBs coachs
He was a defensive coordinator for the Vikings in 06 where they were the #8 overall defense

Other than head coaching another team -what more do you need for a resume outside of a sexy, big name hire?

We make fun of Harbaugh with the Ravens for being a former ST coach . . . so was Cowher.

How do you know he was hired because of the Rooney rule? Is there some actual facts you can back this up with, or you just assume because he's black?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
He was a SB winning DBs coachs
He was a defensive coordinator for the Vikings in 06 where they were the #8 overall defense

Other than head coaching another team -what more do you need for a resume outside of a sexy, big name hire?

We make fun of Harbaugh with the Ravens for being a former ST coach . . . so was Cowher.

How do you know he was hired because of the Rooney rule? Is there some actual facts you can back this up with, or you just assume because he's black?

He's just a typical irrational fan. How's that for an assumption?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbncb View Post
So, Tomlin has "failed miserably" during his tenure as a head coach? So two Super Bowl appearances, one win, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons in six years is failing miserably? No wonder Ryan Clark thinks Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch. Many fan bases would kill for that kind of resume.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Tomlin is starting the makings of a Hall of Fame coach. He is here to stay and I am thrilled about it. Coaches are not perfect. Quarterbacks throw ints, etc and coaches are going to screw up challenges, when to go for a FG, when to go for it on 4th, etc.

What I want to see is a coach with a short memory and willing to take a chance and I see that in Tomlin.

I also seen his team do GREAT in playoff games. Even in their loses they played from behind and made a run at it. His teams never gave up and always battled back.

In the 2 Super Bowls his team was down in one and won it and down 21 in another and was a fumble by Mendy away from taking over that game.

We came back large vs the ravens too.

that is all about coaching as all those games the teams could have been blown out,

Tomlin will be here as long as he wants to be here.

If you dont like Tomlin as a coach its because of his skin color only in my opinion and thats just messed up.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #26
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

I have two issues with Tomlin - player development and discipline.

I haven't seen much development from the young guys during his term so far. Sure, it could be poor drafting, scouting, or both. But, part of the issue we've had is that there has not been enough development of the new guard. The guys that got us to 3 Super Bowls are becoming less effective, and there's no one to fill in. I don't necessarily put all of this on Tomlin, but he gets some of the blame.

The biggest issue I have is the lack of discipline. The stupid penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, and the preening and profiling for the cameras after every catch, tackle, and run drive me insane. The young guys seem to be in it more for the money and notoriety - Mike needs to make it clear that Pittsburgh Steeler football is about winning Super Bowls....PERIOD.

This team lacks mental toughness, which is surprising to me. Tomlin gives the impression of being in control of his emotions, of not being affected by high highs or low lows. Why is it then, that this team has fallen apart this season due to ridiculous mistakes at the most inopportune times? I believe it's because of his non-confrontational coaching style. The players just don't seem to fear him.

I don't want Tomlin fired. I think he is the coach of this team for a long time. However, he MUST re-evaluate his relationships with players - no more buddy/buddy crap. He must get tougher in camp. He must expect more from his veterans, and not give them a pass. He must get tougher, meaner, and mean every word of it.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.
What happened?

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
-Doubt Cowher wants to come back. He's had a lot of offers and seems to have declined them all. Plus, he sort of left on a bad note with the Rooneys.

-Whiz, not impressed. Good OC, not great HC.

-Lebeau has been a head coach before, and sucked at it. Plus, he's too old to take on any kind of permanent position like that. If he's DC next year, I guarantee it'll be his last.

The other 3 (aside from Butler) I don't know much about. Butler would probably be my pick out of any of the ones you mentioned.

I myself would stick with Tomlin though. And I agree that maybe he needs to step it up. I trust the Rooney's decision in this regard though.
SCmom,
I hope you read this atricle on foxsports.com today. Ben takes the blame as a LEADER which I feel is very honorable. What I do not feel is honorable is that Tomlin is quaoted in the article as pointing out Ben's key mistakes during games this year. Wow ...... Way to stand behind your players Mike. Coaching was terrble this year. Run, run, pass does not cut in this league. You mold your offense into a unit that blends with your QB. Todd or Mike out out in 2013 fine with me....details on article see below...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/p...ollapse-122612
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacksburgSteeler13 View Post
So, Tomlin has "failed miserably" during his tenure as a head coach? So two Super Bowl appearances, one win, four playoff berths, three division titles, and three 12-4 seasons in six years is failing miserably? No wonder Ryan Clark thinks Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch. Many fan bases would kill for that kind of resume.
The head coach also I may add maintains the heart beat of a team throughout it's season. He also works to increase or decrease the flow as he feels warranted. I personally feel Mike Tomlin needs to shoulder some of these issues as the leader of the coaching staff. On foxsports.com today Mr. Tomlin did none of these on spoke to Ben's quaotes as "Blame Me" ... Mike stated several situations where Ben's play has been suspect of the course of the year. To me this does not sound like a leader nor does it sound like a leader of the Steelers. Honorable Ben's shouldering of the situation this is a sign of a leader. Super bowl wins or losses he kepts his team first and team mates as well. Remember Ben getting hammered behind his OL and never spoke ill of them when asked by media. I hate the fact the media is looking for someone to blame and Ben is taking it. Mike should step up....oh and by the way he walked into a very good team super bowl team. As far as his destiny in the Hall well after this season his metal will be tested. I hope he takes the steps needed, articles like today were not a good path.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by therocksteeler View Post
SCmom,
I hope you read this atricle on foxsports.com today. Ben takes the blame as a LEADER which I feel is very honorable. What I do not feel is honorable is that Tomlin is quaoted in the article as pointing out Ben's key mistakes during games this year. Wow ...... Way to stand behind your players Mike. Coaching was terrble this year. Run, run, pass does not cut in this league. You mold your offense into a unit that blends with your QB. Todd or Mike out out in 2013 fine with me....details on article see below...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/p...ollapse-122612
Thanks for posting the link to the article. I am a defender of Ben, feel like I have to at times because of the unsupported hate and prejudice against him. But I thought the article was fair and even Tomlins comments not really that inflammatory. Ben's numbers were pretty good, and while he was clutch early and the defense was not so clutch, he failed late in the season when it became more Crunch time. While others seem to revel in his misfortunes,(which is crazy since his success tends to lead to Steeler success) I realize that you cannot just turn it on and off in the NFL. That even if your QB is playing almost perfect he can look like a goat if teammates miss assignments. That even the best make miscues, that injuries sometimes affect players for more than just the time they miss. I hope we come back strong next year and my special wish is for Ben to have a great season that ends in a SB win, one reason because I want to see #7 Lombardi before I die, and second it is so much quieter on this forum when no one can bitch about Ben and/or Tomlin.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote