Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Starkey: The joke’s on the Steelers

It's not Todd Haley-- it is the injuries.

If some of the comments on this thread weren't so sad, they would be laughable. Steelers fans used to hate the way Bruce Arians would line us up 5-wide with no RB on 3rd down and 1. Now, I just read a post by someone on this thread complaining that they ran teh ball on 3rd down and 1 and 4th down and 1. Maybe they should try to out-think themselves like they did under Arians and do the opposite of what the other team thinks we won't do?

Of course the run game won't work, when your Oline situation is so desperate that your Probowl Center is having to play guard, you have two rookies holding down the entire right side of the Oline, and you finish the season with 2 of the original 5 projected starters on your Oline.

Of course we are going to lse games when ALL of our starting CBs are out.

Of course Ben is not going to have his head in the game after just giving birth to his firstborn son a couple weeks prior.

A lot of things just didn't align themselves properly for the Steelers this season. It happens. Big deal.

No, we do NOT need to hire Bruce Arians back.
No, we do not need to get rid of Haley-- his offense was cooking with gas until the injuries bodyslammed the team at midsseason.
No, we do not need to fire Mike Tomlin.

The silliness needs to stop. The Steelers need to update their training regimen and get guys back healthy next year and they are back in contention.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
lardlad (12-27-2012), lloydwoodson (01-16-2013), teegre (12-27-2012), WVABE (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #22
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
But you gotta possess the ball more! Those numbers are more important than the numbers on the scoreboard!
Possess the ball more?? The Steelers are #2 in the NFL in TOP, just behind Houston. Avg per game is 32:14, Houston is 33:09.
They are completely ineffective on offense, and a longer TOP won't change that.

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it, and a good start would be to reduce the # of giveaways. The Steelers are #2 in total fumbles with 33 for the season, behind ........... Philadelphia. Oh and they're also 3rd in fumbles lost, with 16.

The Offense was putrid, period.

Last edited by plenewken; 12-27-2012 at 03:55 PM.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,571 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Possess the ball more?? The Steelers are #2 in the NFL in TOP, just behind Houston. Avg per game is 32:14, Houston is 33:09.

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it,
he was being sarcastic...
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,074 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post

The solution is not to possess the ball more, it's to do something with it, and a good start would be to reduce the # of giveaways. The Steelers are #2 in total fumbles with 33 for the season, behind ........... Philadelphia. Oh and they're also 3rd in fumbles lost, with 16.

The Offense was putrid, period.
GoFor7 was being sarcastic about the importance of time of possession. Making fun of fans/the Rooneys who want to run the ball and win the TOP battle, or "Yinzers" as he calls them, is sort of GoFor7's thing.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
he was being sarcastic...
Oh, sorry! Thanks for telling me.
Anyway, I meant what I wrote.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

We suck because our WR's are sub par and extremely overrated. Wallace can't catch and fumbles when he does, AB can catch but often fumbles, and Sanders can catch sometimes but fumbles too. Most of all nobody gets open, even after 2 or 3 years of playing with Ben, these guys can't figure out that they need to run different routes and break away when the play doesn't work. Ben was given a lot of time to throw in the majority of games this year, yet these guys weren't open. How often did Ben pump fake and pump fake, only to dump it off to a RB or short to Miller, or was forced to run out of the pocket? It happened a lot. If you have NFL Rewind watch the coach's film, our problem lays with our WR's, and play calling is next on the list.

We had much better play calling this year, but in the 2nd half of the season other teams had figured it out. Did Haley come up with new plans? No. He took the idea that the Steelers wanted to run the ball and win the TOP battle and multiplied it by 10. I can count on my hands how many times Wallace was sent deep and we ran it into the ground even after our O line was severely injured. The play calling has to get better, I don't care who's calling the plays, it just has to get better. Yet even with proper play calling, a dropped pass or a fumble will have the same results as if the play was a perfect call.

TOP, dinking and dunking, and big plays are all one in the same. I hate to say it but there is only one methodical and great offense right now and it's the Patriots. Do they throw it long often? No. Do they ONLY dink and dunk? No. Do they win the TOP battle? Yes. To say that dinking and dunking is outdated and a "yinzer" mentality is totally incorrect and I'm sure Brady and Bellicheck would agree with that. When you win the TOP and pick a team apart like the Pats do, it makes up for a poor run game and opens things up deeper as safeties are forced to come up and help in coverage and CB's are trying to jam WR's at the line. Brandon Lloyd has been making some big plays in a dink and dunk offense, as has Gronkowski. Why is our form of dinking and dunking not working? Because unlike NE we NEVER change it up and our WR's have tons of drops/fumbles.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,471 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Ben played poorly after coming back from his injury. That's all it was. I odds are he was still hurt but he'll never say so.
Thank you... BB being injured had a huge effect (whether people want to acknowledge that fact or not).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #28
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,471 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Nobody is forgetting them, but...

A) It happens EVERY YEAR
B) It happens to LOTS OF TEAMS

The reason I don't use them as an excuse is because they are a reality in today's NFL. You can count on em. The plus side is that it gives game experience to young players and we really need an infusion of youth on this team.
Losing a franchise QB doesn't effect how an offense performs... really? Are you sure about that?

Injuries happen to every team: agreed.

Losing a franchise QB does NOT happen to every team.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

If we are not -14 on turn overs, this thread doesn't exist. I wasn't crazy about some of the calls, but not holding on to the ball cost us probably three days. It's execution this season including Ben and the relievers who had butter fingers.

One other thing. Ben and Haley go the plays together. No one held a gun to bens head and forced plays on anyone. I Ben knows better audible to a different play.

We didn't hang on to the ball this year. It's none of the coaches fault unless you want to make an argument on technique. When you are a pro, you should not have to be taught how to carry the ball.

Complaining about Marty ball. Paying scared. How many times did we see the deep ball get picked or hit the turf. IMO we played too much backyard ball. Stated to look like last year, like we didn't have a plan. When we started the stand, stare, scramble right scramble left, scramble right, step up and throw is when things went bad. I know that is how Ben plays but I prefer to see a little crisp play rather than running for your life until someone gets open. It's not all Ben either, the line sucks and the receivers were not running great routes this year. There was a lot of zone played against us ever since the KC game. The relievers didn't find the soft spots, Ben wasn't seeing the field well and Haley never adjusted.

Bringing back Ariens would not help a damn thing.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Not happy with Haleys first year as OC, but I think the FO and coaches need to look to playing to the players strength this coming year. The heck with TOP or even protecting Ben by playing so conservative. I would rather have Ben two years at a high level than 5 years of mediocre. As for TOs, yea way too many (same thing in Arians offense except Bens INTs are down this year) OL needs to get better in run blocking, need WRs to play more physical and fight for the ball, and not fight for more yards when they fumble. I never thought Arians was as bad as most did, but I had no issue with replacing him as I thought the redzone scoring might improve with a new OC. Not giving up on Haley just think he needs to adjust a little more to the team than what he thinks the owner wants, or at least have the gonads to speak up.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote