Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966
Default Re: Why Should Lebeau Go??

THE key for any great defense is the pass rush. The NY Giants proved it 2 years against a Patriot offense that couldn't be stpped by anyone else. When you continually disrupt a quarterback; if his name is Brady, Manning, or antone else; plays don't have time to develope. Pittsburgh has had no real pass rush as of late. You can only cover recievers for so long. The steelers need som DLmen.
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtainCall View Post
THE key for any great defense is the pass rush. The NY Giants proved it 2 years against a Patriot offense that couldn't be stpped by anyone else. When you continually disrupt a quarterback; if his name is Brady, Manning, or antone else; plays don't have time to develope. Pittsburgh has had no real pass rush as of late. You can only cover recievers for so long. The steelers need som DLmen.
They have Dlinemen, just not ones desgined for playing in a 3-4.

Cam Heyward and Ziggy are both one-gap, pass-rushing DEs-- best suited to play DE in a 4-3. They don't have the build to take on two linemen on every snap.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Playing receivers 8 yards off the ball and this "let them have the dump offs, just not the big play" has been figured out by every team in the league. It's time for a change in defensive philosophy, and that doesn't mean Butler should take over. We don't need LeBeau v2.0. I want someone that would play an aggressive, attacking defense and not a conservative one.

It's time for fresh blood.
I agree...If your gonna change, change completely. Butler never did anything anywhere else do deserve this job.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Playing receivers 8 yards off the ball and this "let them have the dump offs, just not the big play" has been figured out by every team in the league. It's time for a change in defensive philosophy, and that doesn't mean Butler should take over. We don't need LeBeau v2.0. I want someone that would play an aggressive, attacking defense and not a conservative one.

It's time for fresh blood.
I partialy agree with you-- except for the fact that Lebeau has shown that he CAN come up with a 21st century scheme that can stop the best of them-- the 2010 Pats game (among a few others) proved that.

When we find smething that does work-- I would love for somebody to explain to me why we abandon it.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,014 Times in 4,669 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers notebook: LeBeau wants to return

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, December 27, 2012

Even at age 76, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau doesn‘t plan to retire next season after again fielding the NFL‘s top-ranked defense, even during a subpar season.

“That would be up to Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Let‘s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton doesn‘t believe there is a better-prepared defense in the league.

“I‘ll put our guys up against anybody and against any defense,” he said.

• Win close games, have a good season. Lose close games, have a bad season. If there‘s any theorem that holds up from season to season, this is it. The Steelers have lost five games by three points or fewer, just as they did when they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2009. Their total number of such losses in 2011, ‘10, ‘08 and ‘07? Three. Not surprisingly, they were 12-4 in three of those seasons and 10-6 in the other. “It just shows you the separation, the thin line between being a playoff team and going home early,” safety Ryan Clark said. “We didn‘t win enough.”

• Tight end Heath Miller was voted by teammates as the Steelers‘ Most Valuable Player. Several of them called it an easy choice. Miller is the first tight end selected since the award‘s inception in 1969. The announcement Thursday came on the same day Miller had surgery to repair three damaged right knee ligaments. Miller has a team-leading 71 receptions and eight touchdowns. “I have been saying for years that he is my favorite player, but we just never coached it up to where he got the opportunity to come out and show what he has been able to do,” safety Ryan Clark said. “If you look, game in and game out this year, when he got opportunities to deliver, he delivered.”

• Mike Adams, who started six games at right tackle before injuring an ankle, was selected from an injury-thinned field as the Steelers‘ rookie of the year, an award named for Hall of Famer Joe Greene. The Steelers were 4-2 when Adams started. Nose tackle Casey Hampton was chosen for The Chief Award for media cooperation, named after Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. Both of those award winners were selected by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America.

• Offensive coordinator Todd Haley understands that change hasn‘t always been easy for Ben Roethlisberger, who spent the previous seven seasons in former coordinator Bruce Arians‘ offense. The quarterback was critical of the play-calling recently. “It‘s not always the easiest thing because it‘s not always comfortable, and you have to adjust. That goes for all parties involved,” Haley said. “But that doesn‘t mean it‘s not right. Coach (Mike) Tomlin made a change. I was fortunate enough to be the guy that was chosen. You want to make your boss right, and I believe we will.”

• Now that he‘s run the offense for a season, Haley feels better prepared for the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine and draft. A season ago, his knowledge of Steelers players was based mostly on watching game video. “You get a much clearer picture of your needs, at least on offense. You have a much clearer picture of the players. I personally have a much better feel for all of the coaches, who I didn‘t know very well when I came here,” Haley said. “I believe we will just do nothing but get better, which is what we have to do.”

• Maurkice Pouncey is the first center in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl each of his first three seasons. Not that Roethlisberger is surprised. “I may be biased, but I think other people are seeing that he‘s the best center in the game,” he said. The most such selections for a Steelers center? Nine, for Hall of Famer Mike Webster.

• Cornerbacks Curtis Brown (ankle) and Keenan Lewis (knee) and receiver Mike Wallace (hip) were held out of practice Thursday for the second consecutive day. Adams (ankle) was out after getting limited work Wednesday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2GIkCHrGr
Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

We need to clone LeBeau not let him go.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZoneBlitzer For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (12-28-2012), SteelCurtainCall (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

I'm proud of our D. If we could get some sort of pas rush going; we'd be an even better D. I still think DL has some tricks up his sleeve, and I hope he stays for quite some time
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
We need to clone LeBeau not let him go.
Exactly.
Plus, name replacement candidates with a better resume.
The #1 defensive rating is nice but not so significant obviously.
However he does need to adjust. 4-3 seems like the way to go nowadays, with as many big motor pash rushers you can find.
I seem to remember so many times when our 3 man D-line got stood up early and just shuffled around (especially Casey) exerting no pressure at all.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

I'd rather see the old dog stay and learn some new tricks to adjust to how the league has adjusted to his defense.

Fired for having the #1 defense. That's laughable. Steeler fans are never happy.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
JVip
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24397
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
I'd rather see the old dog stay and learn some new tricks to adjust to how the league has adjusted to his defense.

Fired for having the #1 defense. That's laughable. Steeler fans are never happy.

That would be like fireing an OC that went 12 and... Ohh wait, nevermind that happened.. lol
JVip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JVip For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (12-28-2012)