Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077
Default Re: Why Should Lebeau Go??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
After 15 weeks, the Steeler‘s defense, under coach Dick lebeau, is ranked number 1 in total defense, in the league. This is a defense that is playing along side an offense that is ranked 21st in the league, averaging just 20.8 points per game. With that in mind, there are those in the media, along with fans that are calling for Dick Lebeau to step down. Lebeau said that he doesn’t want to step down yet, but that the decision is, ultimately, up to Mike Tomlin.
Dick Lebeau first became a defensive coordinator in the NFL, back in the 1980’s, with the Bengals. He invented the Zone Blitz, which was made famous by the Pittsburgh-Blitzburgh defense, taking the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX. Lebeau’s second stint as defense coordinator for the Steelers began in 2004, when he took over a struggling defense from Tim Lewis.
With Dick Lebeau as defensive coordinator, the Steelers have won 8 Division Championships, 4 AFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowls.

Please tell me? Why do we need to get rid of Dick Lebeau? Who would take over? Could his replacement be any better?
LeBeau doesn't need to go. Once Ryan Mundy was replaced by Will Allen the D started to make it's turn around. LeBeau still came up with a game plan that covered up the lack of pass rush our two under performing OLB generated. The only thing I would like to see more emphasized is going for the ball, whether that is stripping the runner or going for the INT. Right now the philosophy is no big plays, make the tackle to make them drive the length of the field.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not even getting carved up by Matt Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, Tim Tebow, Phillip Rivers, and Tony Romo?
so who's defense was better ? go ahead and list a few and then i'll show you what qb's shredded them ...in case you haven't noticed defenses around the league suck in general thanks to all the new rules to promote scoring.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,518 Times in 4,486 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Dick LeBeau intends on returning to Steelers next season

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on December 28, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely return for another season as the head of the vaunted Steelers’ defense.

According to Chris Adamski of the Associated Press, the 75-year old LeBeau told his players this week he plans on coming back to head the Pittsburgh defense for another season.

LeBeau continues to say that his job status remains purely in the hands of head coach Mike Tomlin. While that may technically be true, the chances Tomlin wouldn’t bring LeBeau back if he wants to return next season is pretty miniscule.

“Let’s just say I really like Pittsburgh and I really like working for the Steelers,” LeBeau said. “Coach Tomlin will tell you if he wants me back or not. It will be up to Mike.”

LeBeau has spent 55 consecutive seasons in the league as a player and then a coach. Next season would be his tenth straight season at the helm of the Pittsburgh defense. During his time in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have led the league in total defense five times in nine seasons.

The Steelers defense has never ranked outside the top 10 in the league in total defense since LeBeau took over in 2004. If LeBeau wants to continue coaching, Tomlin will be happy to have him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-next-season/
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #24
steelersforever58
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24184

While I don't think Lebeau should go, I would like him to change his philosophy. If he is not able to do that we are in for trouble. I just don't get the big cushions on wide receivers even in 3rd and relatively short yardage. And when is the last time he brought more than 5 on a pass rush. I keep hearing announcers talk about the Steelers vaunted blitz packages, but I don't know how they define blitz because to me that means bringing more than the other team can block. Lebeau virtually never does that.
steelersforever58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #25
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersforever58 View Post
While I don't think Lebeau should go, I would like him to change his philosophy. If he is not able to do that we are in for trouble. I just don't get the big cushions on wide receivers even in 3rd and relatively short yardage. And when is the last time he brought more than 5 on a pass rush. I keep hearing announcers talk about the Steelers vaunted blitz packages, but I don't know how they define blitz because to me that means bringing more than the other team can block. Lebeau virtually never does that.
There could possibly be big changes coming if he stays. If Harrison doesn't return, it isn't too far fetched that we could transition to a 4-3 base defense. After the Pats did it, the East pretty much converted, and it became the new trend. We already have the talent to do it, and it might actually benefit a lot of our younger players, which benefits the team as a whole.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,518 Times in 4,486 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
There could possibly be big changes coming if he stays. If Harrison doesn't return, it isn't too far fetched that we could transition to a 4-3 base defense. After the Pats did it, the East pretty much converted, and it became the new trend. We already have the talent to do it, and it might actually benefit a lot of our younger players, which benefits the team as a whole.
no way that happens if LeBeau returns for another year...
Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #27
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
no way that happens if LeBeau returns for another year...
Thought I saw Bouchette put up an article quoting Foote that said they were practicing to play a 4-3 if needed.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #28
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
...in case you haven't noticed defenses around the league suck in general thanks to all the new rules to promote scoring.
I have noticed the new rules but I've also noticed that the Steelers can't score, even against all these "sucking" defenses.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #29
Cherinko
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5744

It baffles me that some people want to get rid of him. We'll force Lebeau out at about the same time Kraft trades Brady for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Cherinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #30
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,846 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Not sure how I feel about Heyward yet - he seems pretty physical at the point of attack, just not watched enough of him to decide if he could be a flat out pass-rusher, doesn't seem fast enough at first glance

McClendon - that is another story - I think the guy needs to see the field waaay more often

I'm all for Lebeau returning - it seemed like the defense was starting to generate more pressure as the season wore on, got their perimeter exposed, and then adjusted for the Cincy game, coming out as aggressive as I've seen them in the last few years. It really is a shame that the offense never could stay healthy or focused enough to put it together. The Steelers D that showed up against Cincy wanted it and seemed to have the will and skill to do it. That is what is frustrating. I finally saw Troy roaming like a madman and others were stepping up to get the ball back and off the field. Too bad the offense couldn't have scored two touchdowns - would have been the difference maker.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote