Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts
Default Re: RBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
What's your take on picking up Steven Jackson for a one year contract.
The tread on those tires wore down a long time ago.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #12
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
Knile Davis could be a steal in the draft.
While I've read great things about him, and Lattimore as someone else mentioned, I REALLY don't see how picking up yet another injury prone RB is going to provide us the immediate help our run game needs. We've already got 4 guys taking turns on the sidelines with injuries as it is.

If Mendenhall doesn't return, we need a 2nd or 3rd round guy that is very low risk and will be an immediate upgrade to the running game. The bad news is, this draft class looks like crap for RB's. Makes me think that's part of the reason the FO is looking back to Mendy.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
While I've read great things about him, and Lattimore as someone else mentioned, I REALLY don't see how picking up yet another injury prone RB is going to provide us the immediate help our run game needs. We've already got 4 guys taking turns on the sidelines with injuries as it is.

If Mendenhall doesn't return, we need a 2nd or 3rd round guy that is very low risk and will be an immediate upgrade to the running game. The bad news is, this draft class looks like crap for RB's. Makes me think that's part of the reason the FO is looking back to Mendy.
I personally think this class is strong for running back. The two you mentioned plus
Benard NC
Barner Oregon
Bell Michigan State
Ball Wisconsin
Stanford's back
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #14
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
want nothing to do with Medenhall. i rather stick with Dwyer and Redman, and draft someone.
I disagree strongly.

Our defense has a LOT of needs this offseason. A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.

Tomlin and Mendenhall need to kiss and make up-- is stupid to cost the team simply due to a petty personality conflict.

Sucks that Mendy started the season off injured, but to say he has "no heart" is kinda callous. His injury is normally an 18-month recovery and rehab-- he rushed it and was back on the field for the team at 12 months. And it was too soon-- he got re-injured.

Then, after not playing for almost a whole calendar year and starting off cold, Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day. Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.

Then, after being rendered inactive for several games (a dumb move by Tomlin), Mendy does his own stupid by not showing up to the Chargers game.

Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball. He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.

For us to waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another RB is senseless. Tomlin and Mendy both need to be professionals and move forward. Don't be so fast to push the "eject" button....we already have a legit #1 RB.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I disagree strongly.

Our defense has a LOT of needs this offseason. A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.

Tomlin and Mendenhall need to kiss and make up-- is stupid to cost the team simply due to a petty personality conflict.

Sucks that Mendy started the season off injured, but to say he has "no heart" is kinda callous. His injury is normally an 18-month recovery and rehab-- he rushed it and was back on the field for the team at 12 months. And it was too soon-- he got re-injured.

Then, after not playing for almost a whole calendar year and starting off cold, Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day. Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.

Then, after being rendered inactive for several games (a dumb move by Tomlin), Mendy does his own stupid by not showing up to the Chargers game.

Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball. He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.

For us to waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on another RB is senseless. Tomlin and Mendy both need to be professionals and move forward. Don't be so fast to push the "eject" button....we already have a legit #1 RB.
I agree we should not take a rb in the 1st. I would like to see the d line addressed there. I just don't think mendy ie the answer and would hate to pay him good money to keep him around. I think we can get a back in the middle rounds that will make a difference. We're going to need a back anyways since Dwyer, Redman, and mendy are all free agents and it would be foolish to keep all of them considering the way our running game performed this year.

Yes the D is old but we do have young talent at every position already. To be honest the defense did what it needed to win games this year. The offense is what killed us.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Cyphon
Team President

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,794 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
A LOT. We cannot afford to have to spend another high draft pick to get a legit #1 RB when we already have one on our roster.
Agree with this. We have Redman so there is no need to look elsewhere. Our backups behind him are capable enough if he goes down.

Quote:
Maybe I missed something but where was the personality conflict? I was under the impression Mendenhall was benched because his performance wasn't good and then later because he skipped out on the team. Tomlin handled Mendenhall right. One of the only good things he did this year.

Quote:
Tomlin singles him out and benches him for fumbling, even though all four RBs put the rock on the ground that day.
He didn't single him out. He benched all 3 guys that game. The difference is, Mendenhall has a history of fumbling in key spots and put the ball on the ground twice against the Browns. So he got it a little worse than the others. We also shouldn't forget the fact that earlier in the year Dwyer fumbled and Tomlin called him out in front of the team and made Dwyer inactive for a week or 2.

Quote:
Stupid, since even despite the fumbles, in both games he played in this year-- he looked by far the best of our RBs.
Actually Redman or Dwyer would be the 2 to argue looking the best. Dwyer had back to back 100 yard games and Redman had the biggest single game with 146 yards.

The problem with all of our backs was the rotation and the fact our run blocking was shitty most of the season. If those 2 things are fixed, Redman is our go to guy. He is the best of the 3 we are talking about.

Quote:
Seriously, I still like what I see when Mendy has the ball.
I don't. He carries the ball like an idiot and is on the verge of fumbling almost every time he runs the ball. Worst of all is that he has done it in key spots (playoffs and superbowl).

Quote:
He has the homerun capability and outside running speed to create big plays that Redman and Dwyer are too slow and plodding to make.
Stats say you are wrong. Redman and Dwyer have both had big runs to the outside this season. Mendenhall is faster but it doesn't typically make a huge difference because he doesn't break a lot of tackles or make people miss. For all of his speed his agility is subpar and he doesn't run with a lot of heart. On the other hand, Redman and Dwyer fight for every yard and typically fall forward as opposed to backward and they aren't scared to get hit.

Anyway, anyone who has truly paid attention to how our season has went, what the numbers are and our history the past few years, it is clear Mendy isn't the guy.

Last edited by Cyphon; 12-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Cyphon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
kent (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Mendy has underachieved and his crowning moment as a steeler is his fumble in super bowl 45. I never felt he was an elite back nor lived up to his first round status. Injuries, fumbles and inconsistency is how I summarize his career. I rather see Redman get a shot then Mendy.

Most likely they will keep either Dwyer or Redman and draft a RB. Bye Bye Mendy
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Ray Graham Pitt round 5
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
kent
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Mendy has underachieved and his crowning moment as a steeler is his fumble in super bowl 45. I never felt he was an elite back nor lived up to his first round status. Injuries, fumbles and inconsistency is how I summarize his career. I rather see Redman get a shot then Mendy.

Most likely they will keep either Dwyer or Redman and draft a RB. Bye Bye Mendy
I hope you are right.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
Agree with this. We have Redman so there is no need to look elsewhere. Our backups behind him are capable enough if he goes down.

Maybe I missed something but where was the personality conflict? I was under the impression Mendenhall was benched because his performance wasn't good and then later because he skipped out on the team. Tomlin handled Mendenhall right. One of the only good things he did this year.

He didn't single him out. He benched all 3 guys that game. The difference is, Mendenhall has a history of fumbling in key spots and put the ball on the ground twice against the Browns. So he got it a little worse than the others. We also shouldn't forget the fact that earlier in the year Dwyer fumbled and Tomlin called him out in front of the team and made Dwyer inactive for a week or 2.

Actually Redman or Dwyer would be the 2 to argue looking the best. Dwyer had back to back 100 yard games and Redman had the biggest single game with 146 yards.

The problem with all of our backs was the rotation and the fact our run blocking was shitty most of the season. If those 2 things are fixed, Redman is our go to guy. He is the best of the 3 we are talking about.

I don't. He carries the ball like an idiot and is on the verge of fumbling almost every time he runs the ball. Worst of all is that he has done it in key spots (playoffs and superbowl).

Stats say you are wrong. Redman and Dwyer have both had big runs to the outside this season. Mendenhall is faster but it doesn't typically make a huge difference because he doesn't break a lot of tackles or make people miss. For all of his speed his agility is subpar and he doesn't run with a lot of heart. On the other hand, Redman and Dwyer fight for every yard and typically fall forward as opposed to backward and they aren't scared to get hit.

Anyway, anyone who has truly paid attention to how our season has went, what the numbers are and our history the past few years, it is clear Mendy isn't the guy.
Mendy may not be the guy; but neither are Redman or Dwyer!! I don't know what you guys see in these 2 guys to think they are feature backs. My opinion; look at free agency and see if you can get Mendy back cheap and hopefully bringing in some competition will spark a fire under the guy!! The other 2; would have a problem getting a job on another team. Maybe the cfl lol
defence is offline   Reply With Quote