Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,226 Times in 800 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Arrow Analyzing the Steelers by position for 2013

QB - Ben Roethlisberger is firmly entrenched as the starter (much to the dismay of some), but Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch both need to go. Leftwich is too fragile, and Batch is too old. I'd like for the Steelers to re-sign Brian Hoyer to be the backup, and sign another free agent to be the #3 QB.

RB - This has to be the most maligned unit of the team. Rashard Mendenhall is easily the most talented of the RBs, but I question his attitude and dedication, which makes him expendable, especially considering many of the failures this season have come down to those two things. Jonathan Dwyer has the potential to be a good goal-line/short-yardage RB, but he needs to get in better shape. Isaac Redman has heart, but he's not physically gifted, lacking the size of Dwyer and the speed of Mendenhall. Chris Rainey only has potential as a Darren Sproles clone. I say keep Dwyer and Rainey; let the other two go, and draft a RB in the middle or late rounds.

WR - Million-dollar talents with 10-cent heads. Mike Wallace can go away, as far as I'm concerned, and Antonio Brown better get his shit back together. He's the player I'm most disappointed in this season. Jerricho Cotchery should be the #3 WR instead of Emmanuel Sanders. In Wallace's place, the Steelers should draft a tall, strong WR in the middle rounds who's not afraid of contact and not afraid to fight for the ball. And no "project" WRs either. The Steelers don't have the luxury of developing raw players anymore.

TE - Leave the TEs as they are, and let Leonard Pope and David Paulson duke it out for the starting job in Heath Miller's extended absence.

OL - Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro are entrenched as starters. Sorting out the T positions will be tough, though, because Max Starks has played well, and Marcus Gilbert has only started for about a season's worth of games, but Mike Adams has a lot of potential and played well for a rookie. I'd say start Adams at LT and Gilbert at RT, with Starks being the backup at both positions, and Kelvin Beachum being the backup at both T and G positions. Keep Ramon Foster as the starting LT, but draft a replacement for him. Cut WIllie Colon.

DL - Cut Casey Hampton and start Steve McLendon. Bring Alameda Ta'amu back to the roster on the condition that he gets professional help for his alcohol habit. Make Brett Keisel redo his contract, and demote him to back up Cameron Heyward. Draft another LDE to push Ziggy Hood.

LB - Sadly, I think this is the last we'll see of James Harrison. His body is slowly breaking down, and he'll be 35 next year, so I'd rather let him go now than risk keeping him a year too long. Besides, this will give Jason Worilds a chance to show what he's made of at ROLB. Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley are entrenched at their positions, but Woodley needs to take his job more seriously. At LILB, I'd like to see Sean Spence start. Cut Larry Foote. Draft for depth at all four LB positions, and use an early-round pick on either a LIL or a ROLB in case Spence or Worilds don't cut it.

CB - The top priority for the Steelers this off-season should be re-signing Keenan Lewis. I'd like to keep Ike Taylor for at least one more season, or two if Lewis leaves. I don't see the need for a CB because this is the only unit of the team with quality and depth. Even if Lewis leaves, then let's see what Josh Victorian and DeMarcus Van Dyke are made of.

S - The Steelers should draft a FS in the first round. Ryan Clark is solid, but he won't be around much longer, and Ryan Mundy isn't going to work. SS is fine for now, because Troy Polamalu is a few years younger than Clark, and Will Allen was acceptable as a backup. Don't worry about SS until 2014.

Coaches - I wonder if it's time to move on from Dick LeBeau. Yes, he's been great for the Steelers, but even the best coaches can get stale after a while, and he's been the defensive coordinator for nine seasons now. Andy Reid has gotten stale in Philadelphia, and even Chuck Noll lost his touch after a while. Furthermore, Keith Butler has been very patient, and teams have been trying to lure him away recently, so maybe it's time to promote him. I'm sure he's learned well.

As for Todd Haley, I want to see another season from him before I make a judgment. I like what he's done with the passing game, but he's kind of botched the running game, although I wonder how much of that is a function of the offensive line and RBs. Still, I believe he deserves some criticism for not choosing one RB and sticking with him. As for the play-calling in the last few weeks, it's been lousy, but I also wonder how much of it is because of Roethlisberger's shoulder/rib, and the desire to lean a bit more on the running game because of it. If he leaves, as some are guessing, then consider Norv Turner or Ken Whisenhunt if they're out of jobs.

Get the special teams situation fixed, period. Whoever's there now has to go. And I'm actually kind of glad that Sean Kugler is gone because he never seemed to live up to the hype. And the front office needs to fire a shot across Mike Tomlin's bow as well, considering this is the second time in six seasons that his team developed a habit of losing to the shit of the league, and he still botches certain situations during the game.

All in all, if there's going to be a youth movement, then it needs to be complete. No more time for those who aren't part of the team's long-term future. It's time to move on.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (12-27-2012), Hawaii 5-0 (12-28-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937
Default Re: Analyzing the Steelers by position for 2013

My Thoughts...

QB - Ben wasn't the same after his injury, but he'll bounce back next season.

RB - I say sign Mendenhall to a one year deal to give him a chance to be the back we all know he can be. I say keep Isaac Redman as he's like an Mewelde Moore back who can catch the ball and get yardage. I like Dwyer, but he needs to get in better shape, if he doesn't then we should let him go. But for now, I say we keep all of the backs we have and see what happens during Preseason.

FB - There's not many great Fullbacks in the league and finding a Lawrence Vickers isn't easy so unless there's one that catches your eye in the draft leave it alone.

WR - I say keep Mike Wallace for a one year deal to prove that he can be more than just a deep threat and that he can adapt to the new playbook. Work on Sanders ball handling skills and keep him at 3rd wide receiver just because of his athleticism and re-sign plaxico burress and implement him in more redzone situations.

TE- Draft a TE in the middle rounds because Heath isn't getting any younger and his backups aren't great. Heath is a great TE that has many years left to play, but coming off of this injury we'll need more depth at the TE position.

OL - I say we cut Willie Colon (3 times in the last 3 years he's ended up on the Season Ending reserve. Sign a left-Guard in the 2nd round and work from there. I'd also sign an offensive tackle for depth at that position as we don't know how long Starks will be able to last.

DL - Keisel is still good, but I'm hoping Ziggy Hood & Cameron Heyward can develop more so when he retires we have two starters at end.... Hampton is getting old and we should honestly put someone else at DT, maybe draft a DT in the 3rd round.

OLB - James Harrison wasn't 100% healthy this season and if he's not healthy next season then we should get rid of him, but we should let him get healthy over the offseason and see if he can get back in shape. Jason Worilds is pretty good and once Harrison is fully out of gas he should be the replacement.

ILB - If Larry Foote retires then we'd need Sean Spence to step in and we'd also need to draft a Inside Linebacker in the Middle rounds. Timmons has established himself as a top linebacker. I'm actually hoping Foote stays around for one more year, but gives Sean Spence some snaps to help him develop.

CB - Ike Taylor & Keenan Lewis are our two starting CBs, but I'd like us to draft a CB in the first round if there's a guy worth getting, another tall CB like Taylor and one that can develop over the next years and maybe take over the starting job from Lewis. I also think we need more depth at CB so we should draft some CBs in the 5th or 6th round as well. Cortez Allen is alright, and Van Dyke is okay at best.

S Both Clark & Polamalu are getting older, so we should draft a Safety in the 4th round. But they have many years to play, I know that for a fact.

I'm disappointed in this Steelers season, but everyone is being too harsh on Mendenhall & Wallace, one bad season you turn on them? You serious? What kind of fans are you?

Last edited by Justp94; 12-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
objectivefan
Water Boy

Member Number: 20493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
My Thoughts...

QB - Ben wasn't the same after his injury, but he'll bounce back next season.

RB - I say sign Mendenhall to a one year deal to give him a chance to be the back we all know he can be. I say keep Isaac Redman as he's like an Mewelde Moore back who can catch the ball and get yardage. I like Dwyer, but he needs to get in better shape, if he doesn't then we should let him go. But for now, I say we keep all of the backs we have and see what happens during Preseason.

FB - There's not many great Fullbacks in the league and finding a Lawrence Vickers isn't easy so unless there's one that catches your eye in the draft leave it alone.

WR - I say keep Mike Wallace for a one year deal to prove that he can be more than just a deep threat and that he can adapt to the new playbook. Work on Sanders ball handling skills and keep him at 3rd wide receiver just because of his athleticism and re-sign plaxico burress and implement him in more redzone situations.

TE- Draft a TE in the middle rounds because Heath isn't getting any younger and his backups aren't great. Heath is a great TE that has many years left to play, but coming off of this injury we'll need more depth at the TE position.

OL - I say we cut Willie Colon (3 times in the last 3 years he's ended up on the Season Ending reserve. Sign a left-Guard in the 2nd round and work from there. I'd also sign an offensive tackle for depth at that position as we don't know how long Starks will be able to last.

DL - Keisel is still good, but I'm hoping Ziggy Hood & Cameron Heyward can develop more so when he retires we have two starters at end.... Hampton is getting old and we should honestly put someone else at DT, maybe draft a DT in the 3rd round.

OLB - Jame Harrison wasn't 100% healthy this season and if he's not healthy next season then we should get rid of him, but we should let him get healthy over the offseason and see if he can get back in shape. James Worilds is pretty good and once Harrison is fully out of gas he should be the replacement.

ILB - If Larry Foote retires then we'd need Sean Spence to step in and we'd also need to draft a Inside Linebacker in the Middle rounds. Timmons has established himself as a top linebacker. I'm actually hoping Foote stays around for one more year, but gives Sean Spence some snaps to help him develop.

CB - Ike Taylor & Keenan Lewis are our two starting CBs, but I'd like us to draft a CB in the first round if there's a guy worth getting, another tall CB like Taylor and one that can develop over the next years and maybe take over the starting job from Lewis. I also think we need more depth at CB so we should draft some CBs in the 5th or 6th round as well. Cortez Allen is alright, and Van Dyke is okay at best.

S Both Clark & Polamalu are getting older, so we should draft a Safety in the 4th round. But they have many years to play, I know that for a fact.

I'm disappointed in this Steelers season, but everyone is being too harsh on Mendenhall & Wallace, one bad season you turn on them? You serious? What kind of fans are you?
ones living in reality
objectivefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to objectivefan For This Useful Post:
Justp94 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,226 Times in 800 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
I want Rashard Mendenhall and Mike Wallace gone because they were the embodiment of the lack of dedication and focus that the team suffered from this season. When the Steelers don't make the playoffs, it's not time to blow everything up and start all over, but it's absolutely time to make people uncomfortable, and this would be an effective way to warn the players that they better shape up or get shipped out like Mendenhall and Wallace.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Pretty good analysis Gnutella
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

Quote:
I'd like for the Steelers to re-sign Brian Hoyer to be the backup...
After the Steelers released Brian Hoyer, he was picked up by Whisenhunt in Arizona. He is now the starting QB for the Cardinals. Of course, his assignment might change along with the head coach, there.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,742 Times in 976 Posts

Personally, if we really want to replace a front line starter, I have two likely candidates:

, #1 Ziggy Hood, great work out habits, strong as an ox, and the best nick name on the team, but isn't worth a clump of farts as a DE, especially against zone blocking schemes.

#1A Woodley the most overated and overpaid player on the team. For my money, Worilds is a better player and is playing for 10's of MILLIONS of dollars less. Seriously, Woodley missed how many games this year?? Did anybody notice?

When you play Hood and Woodley side by side, you end up with a real big soft spot that other teams have been exploiting since A Smith hung it up.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
Cyphon
Head Coach

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 1,431 Times in 760 Posts

QB - Pretty much agree with the OP here. Ben is fine as the starter but with the way he plays we definitely need a capable backup. I say Batch should retire and Leftwich can go. Bring in a FA vet that you are comfortable with and maybe look late in the draft for a QB to maybe mold into something. Or if someone you really like falls to you in a good spot scoop him up even if it is early.

RB - We do need to revamp this a little. I say get rid of Mendenhall and Baron Batch. I would like to see what Batch can do but his injury history is nuts. Make Redman the starter and keep Dwyer as his backup. Make sure Dwyer knows that getting in shape is a key to him staying. He is definitely a capable back but he is a bit soft. He is very young though and has time to improve while Redman takes the main role. Rainey doesn't really belong on the running back depth chart. He is just too small. I guess it technically doesn't matter where they list him but we should keep him as a KR. I would probably try him out a WR and see how he does. So that said, we can look to FA or late in the draft to add more depth at RB.

WR - A position I think we are just fine at. All 3 young guys are capable and have given us good results. They had a bit of a down year but I haven't lost 1 bit of confidence in them. I really like Cotchery and Burress as 4 and 5 guys as well. The only thing I would like to see here is Burress having a role in 2013.

TE - Fine with this spot. Just hope Heath gets back and is still the same player.

OL - The issues here come down to injury more than talent. I think if our line can be consistently healthy we are fine here. We have some young guys with a lot of potential and some older guys who have done it for us consistently enough. I think we can pretty much stay as is here.

DL - We are kind of old here. While I never like seeing veterans go it may be time to start talking about Hampton and Kiesel. The front 7 on our team is something I never think much about because we almost always have very capable guys there. So I guess drop the old and start the new and maybe draft 1 or 2 guys for these spots. I trust the Steelers to pick the right guys.

LB - This is kind of the same as DL. Timmons is on the upswing and will likely be our best LB for a few years. Maybe even someone who just snaps and pushes for DPotY in the next few seasons. Woodley is certainly capable but isn't playing at a level I expect. I would like to see him pushed harder to live up to where he should be. Foote played well this year so I can see keeping him for 1 or 2 more while watching his progress. Harrison is probably closest to being out of the door. I think maybe it is time to just cut him out of the picture. Let some young guys get some time to see how they do. Maybe grab 1 or 2 in the draft as well.

CB - This may be the first time ever that I don't think we need to draft high for a CB. Taylor, Lewis and Allen are all shut down corners or shut down capable given time. I really like what I saw from Lewis and Allen this year. Not sure we need anymore depth.

S - Get rid of Mundy and keep the other 3. Draft to get younger at either one. Clark is older but Troy is injured more so it doesn't hurt to get 1 at either position or maybe even both.

K - Get a kicker with some leg. I am very happy with Shuisam being perfect on the season from inside 50 (I am saying perfect because the 1 miss wasn't his fault). However, there were 2 games this year that we could have one on long kicks. We need a guy with enough leg to get it there. Shuisam just can't do it. Both kicks were pretty much exactly the same. His top limit his 52. We need a guy 54 and higher.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Next years starting lineup

QB: Alec Smith and the next Andrew Luck (whoever that may be)
RB: Jerome Bettis Jr. raised in a test tube and now ready to start.
FB: Kuhn
WR: Hines Ward, Plax, and Santonio Holmes. The three OLD amigos replace the YOUNG money crew.
OL: Decastro (hasn't been here long enough to piss anyone off yet) Pouncey, And three guys we pick up in free agency, because free agents are always the answer.
TE: Heath nuff said

LBers: A couple of rookies that will come in and contribute right away, Timmons unless he plays like the year before, and Woodley unless he plays like this year.
DE/NT: Whoever is the flavor of the month in the upcoming draft w Keisel, Hood, and McClendon filling in
DB: Ike and whoever replaces Lewis cause we likely will not resign him cause we won"t match the offers he will get.
Safeties: Clark and Troys backup after his first injury.

Now all this will change if we can just get a new GM from Steelers Fever Forums, then it will be as easy as pie to sign all big names, cut the fat, and still keep us under the cap. And BTW we should be able to return to the playoffs with a great running game and lose the next five years in the AFCCG at home. Oh the good old days.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree with alot what's being said except that we are fine at TE. I think we are okay at TE but would love to bring in a talent. Leonard Pope and David Paulson are just bodies, IMO. We could have a very dynamic attack with another great TE. The RB's will work itself out when Mendenhall gets money elsewhere. Same with the WR position. The T position will depend on Starks and what they think they have in Adams. Would love to see them resign Foster, although his asking price will probably be high based on his performance this year. The guy was an UFA out of college so he will chase the money, and he should but if we can keep him, that would be great. Colon needs to take a pay cut or he will be gone., We could use that money to resign Foster. Woodley is so dissappointing it's unbelievable! Harrison and troy will be asked to take a trim or one may be gone. Not Troy, again IMO. Casey has sadly played his lasts days as a Steeler. Good luck buddy! Still can't believe the season is over...!!!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote