Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Next Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
A new workhorse needs to be found ASAP, none of this committee bullshit.

If Foote is gone his spot is definitely the biggest question mark if the first round pick isn't an ILB.
i absolutely agree that we need a RB who is going to be the workhorse. The committee crap does no good--a running back needs to get into rhythm. Add an injured OL and our running game gets no respect. This leads to 8-man fronts and nowhere to run and no time to throw.

I agree with you on Foote too. He plays solid and he leads the D on the field.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
team has no identity.. except for being soft and unprepared
Actually, it's more that this teams identity is stuck in 2005-2008 except for, you know, the effort.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,687 Times in 7,476 Posts
My Mood: Dead

At first, as I always think, was the idea of 19-0.

Then, I thought:
Fire BB!!!
Fire Tomlin!!!
Fire Haley!!!
Fire LeBeau!!!
Fire Steely McBeam!!!
Fire Heinz Field!!!

Lastly, somewhere in between is the truth.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,687 Times in 7,476 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Thank you for this thread.

Too much "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and "Fire (person)!!!" threads.

WALLACE
The dude bugged me to no end this year, but I still think that he gets resigned. The Steelers have repeatedly stated that their primary goal is to re-sign him... and I see it being given a legitimate attempt. I see him (finally) accepting that original offer: 5 years, $50 million.

KEENAN LEWIS
He is priority #1 in "my" mind. I think that eh is more important than Wallace... but, I think that he is the second FA that they target (after Wallace). 5 years, $37 million.

DRAFT
NT is debatable. So is LG (if The Colon i released, then LG could be a target).

OLB should be addressed, and ILB could be addressed.

Both safety positions need to be addressed, and this is the year to do it (although, I only see one being drafted this year).

CB... I like the CBs, but only if Keenan is brought back. Ike has one more year in him, and Keenan & Cortez are the future. Curtis Brown has shown flashes of being capable, but also moments of WTF!?! I could see a late-round CB being taken, to fill in and/or fight for the fourth CB spot.

RUNNING BACKS
I am not a fan of Spinny, but he has moments where he looks great. Dwyer I like, but he can not play an entire series, let alone an entire game. Redman has shown flashes.

The options appear to be: "RB by committee" or "draft a full-time starter."

I say use the RB by committee for one more year, and draft Marcus Lattimore (& rest him for a year). Why? AP came back better... and Lattimore's knee injury was twice as bad... so... he should come back twice as good (like 2,300 yards... right?).

There is some tongue in cheek, but I am quasi-serious about Lattimore.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Yes, I agree pretty much with the OP's post, especially (but sadly) in
"...Batch and Lefty need to go..."
We need to begin making room for the next youngblood Ben, as a solid backup. ...

EDIT: plus I'm a bit happier now that the Cowboys also just got booted outta the playoffs, thanyou 'Skins. Yay! :)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
SteelCurtain5643
Starter

Member Number: 12838

Welp, 8-8, very disappointing underachieving season to say the least. Glad its over though. Hopefully we retool a little bit, get younger defensively and actually get a secondary and we come back next year as good as ever. Cant win em all but ill take only missing the playoffs 4 times in the last 10 yrs and winning 2 of 3 super bowls any day. Lets go Steelers!!
SteelCurtain5643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Your thoughts on next year. None of this get rid of Tomlin, Ben , Haley, Lebeau stuff. I am here to tell you none of that is happening unless the ones mention decide to leave on their own. I wil start.

First RB, I for one am willing to resign Mendenhall, IF, he can be signed at a fair price. Dwyer needs to be told in no uncertain terms to show up in playing shape, he has been in the league now for what 3 years and he has been woefully out of shape every season opener. Redman is OK for backup , but I would love to sign one Rookie that the Steelers see some promise in. I love Raineys potential but just do not know if he is being utilized. His size has proved to be an issue this year.

Second WR, I am in the minority but I think you let Plax go, sorry would of loved to have had him in his prime but 36 year old (next year Aug) is a little old to be playing a young mans position. Brown, Crotch, signed and back. Wallace, oh what to do? Sign him if possible, but do not break the bank. If he agrees to a deal I think he can put this season behind him. Would love to find a serviceable wideout in the draft, easier said than done.

TE, gonna need somebody to fill in for Heath until he is healed. Might be time to draft or find a free agent. Pope will do for now, Paulson not so much.

OL, honestly I just think this unit needs to stay healthy for a little while and they could become a good group. I do not know who has replaced Kugler but all I can hope is they do a good job.

Ben , he will be back and I expect a great season, IMO Batch and Lefty need to go. We need a young guy who can learn and play without breaking down on the first big hit. Lot of experience but I for one would rather go younger especially if its someone who has some promise.

DL Hampton was the anchor of this great defense, along with Smith for years, but it is time to go, Coaches have talked up McClendon for some time, lets see what he can do. Kiesel needs another chance to show what he can do. Heyward and Ziggy will both be back, but would love some new blood in this lineup.

LBers Woodley had a disappointing season, but hopefully is back better than ever, Timmons had a great year and would be nice to see these guys great together one year. I expect Worilds, Spence to see time. Harrison may have to redo his contract to play another season. Foote, I honestly do not know, he is still capable but I would love to see a high draft choice replace him.

DB/S Ike is back, maybe for the last hurrah. Lewis needs to be resigned but may be too expensive and with only one quality season under his belt who could blame the Steelers for not over spending. Both Allens, Clark and Troy are back but need some more young talent with them. I think Troy bounces back but him and Clark are both short timers now. Saddens me.

Kicker Suisham is reliable and should be here unless beaten out by some unknown.
Punter We need a new one.
ST Coach Replace

Without looking over the next draft I can not at this time even hazard a guess who will likely make the team next year, but we need fresh blood, new backups, and we need a new ST coach. Haley and Ben both need to give and take a little next year. We cannot play so conservative, yet we cannot go to a heave it down field concept either. We need a somewhat (I said somewhat) balanced attack and either new RBs or new technique used on the OL. Bens numbers were good til the injury, then something happened. Ben Bashers think he rebelled,but I think it was a combination of things, and one of those is the other teams finally after 9 games had film on this offense and they squeezed the WR on the line and basically eliminated the long ball with a line that could not give protection. Without a decent running game our options were few and futile. There was a reason that Heath was targeted as much as he was and that is he is our most physical receiver and broke open more. I do not think we need an overhaul, just a little tweaking. The thing that scares me the most is I thought this years team ONLY needed a LITTLE tweaking after Arians left. We will see.
I honestly believe the Steelers need more depth at Cornerback, and if we can't get a good deal with Keenan Lewis then the Steelers should definitely look into drafting a CB in the First Round. I believe the Steelers will draft two CBs in this draft one being mid-high range, and one lower rounds.

Also, I believe if Wallace isn't back next year we'll draft a WR in the Third Round since Wallace was a previous third rounder, he'll be replaced by such. And I expect Plaxico to be back to help the younger receivers and to be in Redzone situations.

The offensive line is getting better, however Colon needs to be cut, especially if he ends up on Injured Reserve again next year. He's a good player, but can't stay healthy. So, I think the safe thing to do is to draft a Left Guard in the Second Round to be Colon's replacement if need be.

If Foote is gone (If he's still here then that's fine as he's proven worthy of starting), Spence needs to step up. If Harrison is gone (If he's still here then he should be given a chance to reclaim his starting position if he's healthy), Worilds needs to step up, plain as that. The Steelers will probably draft a linebacker in the mid-rounds if they see someone that fits our team.

The Steelers will try to resign Mendenhall as he is definitely the most talented back we have and if given a chance to shine should be the back we all know he can be. Dwyer lose some weight bro, you're not as gifted as the Bus. Redman may be resigned to be a third down back like Mewelde Moore was...

I have no opinion on the D-Line as I thought the whole reason we drafted Hood was to play D-Tackle... but now he's a Defensive end... and I'm not sure how good McClendon is...
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

QB/OC - Ben needs to get on Haley's page not the other way around. And Ben shares responsibility for the play calls because he has a lot of flexibility to audible.

HB - I hope Mendenhall is back. My philosophy is that drafting rbs in the early rounds is a waste because of their short careers. I would only draft an Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch type in the first. Not worth replacing Mendy. RB is solid as it is. Don't make it a need by cutting Mendenhall.

FB - Will Johnson looked really good. He better stay.

TE - Miller needs to heal. Hopefully he is back 100%. No other TE is certain.

OL - Starks DeCastro Pouncey Legursky Adams (will probably use Legursky as backup - I dont know if Gilbert could move inside). DeCastro needs to improve a lot. Foster should be a backup.

WR - Wallace gets resigned for a contract no better than Brown's or he walks. Sanders, Brown and Cotchery are good enough regardless of Wallace.

DL - Hood McLendon Heyward with Keisel rotating. Ta'amu gets his shit together and sees the field more.

OLB - HUGE area of concern. Lack of a pass rush this past season was the team's most glaring shortcoming. It is amazing the DB held up. Harrison is done (God I love that man I am going to miss him the most). Woodley and Worilds need to step up immensely next year.

ILB - Same same. Spence sees more playing time while Sylvester is overlooked for whatever reason. I think Sylvester deserves a shot to start he is a ST beast. Timmons avenges Probowl snub by finally recording those 18 sacks he was talking about.

CB - Taylor, Lewis and Allen form the best trio in the NFL outside of SEA and CHI.

S - Polamalu continues to decline and has more injuries. His last season next year. Clark will be much the same.

ST - Need to improve DRASTICALLY! Horrible ST effort last year. Multiple big plays called back.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
draft Marcus Lattimore (& rest him for a year). Why? AP came back better... and Lattimore's knee injury was twice as bad... so... he should come back twice as good (like 2,300 yards... right?).

There is some tongue in cheek, but I am quasi-serious about Lattimore.
This is a not a terrible idea, especially should he slip to the later rounds of the draft or go undrafted due to injury concerns.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

DL - Hood McLendon Heyward with Keisel rotating. Ta'amu gets his shit together and sees the field more.
All good points even the ones I disagree with, but this one jumps out at me, specifically Ziggy. The next time he gets pushed so deep he needs a passport to go any further he needs to just stay in whatever zipcode he ends up in. If we can afford Casey we need to keep him and The Beard. There's no one behind them as good, and the younger guys need to beat them on the field for their spots, cap permitting.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote