Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #111
StevieRayVol
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24064
Default Re: Tomlin and Ben are killing the franchise

Big Ben was having an MVP type year before he got injured...An injury Doctors said.."COULD HAVE KILLED HIM"...Think after he came back that thought wasn't in the back of his mind when he was running from some 300 lber's with mayhem in mind.. Next year he's healthy, the offensive line is healthy and maybe we get Mendy back..."GO STEELERS"!
AndyWitmyer (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #112
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Don't fully understand the hate, but that is your cross to bear. I just like to refute yours and others "facts", such as the overpaid part. You are correct that two wrongs do not make a right but teams will pay the value of the players based on the league and from what i just showed is that Ben is indeed a "bargain " at where he is being paid. I compare Elways play to Ben through first 9 seasons and it shows that Ben is far superior, with years to come that no one knows the outcome. Does Ben slide, or does he get better with age as Elway did. It remains to be seen. You and others like to point out our defense, and while near or at the top for some time, it is not the first time in franchise history. Before Ben was QB how did all those great defenses fair come playoff time. Loss after loss piled up in the AFCCG and the one lone time the Steelers made it to the SB was when we had a QB that had a very good season as far as passing, O'donnell. I like to see our recent successes as a partnership between both the Defense and the Offense, as well as Coaching staff, and Special teams. In other words the entire team, now if others on here tout Ben to the point it has created a hatred toward him then I can understand, but to put the blame on every season that does not end with a SB on Ben is wrong as well.
There's no hate whatsoever. I'm just not in awe like some Forum members are.
Ben is a pretty good QB, but IMO, he's not elite and his numbers tend to prove it.
After 8 seasons, I think Ben doesn't have what Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers have and what Bradshaw had, neither technically, nor mentally.
I'm talking about pure talent, work ethic and attitude on and off the field.

I'll be the first to eat crow if it happens but I'm not confident he'll lead the Steelers to a 7th Superbowl, and much less with the HC and OC we have now.

Sorry but that's my opinion.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #113
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The Rooneys were fools to fuck with Ben by bringing in some loser OC to "teach him a lesson".

Trying to make Ben a game manager behind a dink and dink ball control offense was the dumbest idea in the world
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #114
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
After 8 seasons, I think Ben doesn't have what Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers have and what Bradshaw had, neither technically, nor mentally.
I'm talking about pure talent, work ethic and attitude on and off the field.
Bradshaw - LOL.

Roethlisberger would get SLAUGHTERED if he threw as many picks as Bradshaw habitually did. But, then Bradshaw was never appreciated either until we had to endure a few years of the likes of Stoudt/Malone/Brister.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #115
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

Some of you keep talking about the Denver game, and how we lost to Tebow,ect. Ben was playing with a high ankle sprain. I went to MED MD's web site before the game to try to understand what a high ankle sprain actually was. Ben missed 2 games with his before returning to play Denver. The doctors who wrote papers about the injury for the web site, said that NO ONE should return from the injury for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks. It's almost like having a broken lower leg. But Ben carried his self out there in Denver's freezing weather, and gave it his all while scrammbling for his life on most plays.

His rib injury was, as someone else stated; one of the most rare injuries that one can sustain, and it IS LIFE THREATENING! We all might think we know what the players feel like, but look at what many of the older players are going through now. Brain injuries, and some can hardly get out of bed each day. Ben has played hurt so many times I can't count them all. Brady, Manning, or Rodgers could not play behind some of the make shift lines that Ben has played behind.

The Patriots have lost both SB's to the Giants because Brady was pressured most of the day. Peyton looses games when he is pressured badly. I'm not saying that Ben doesn't hold onto the ball too long SOMETIMES; but many times he's running for his life before he even has time to set. He is a unique QB.

Many times I find myself wishing he was more fundamental, but to say he's not been a big part in bringing the Lombardi back to steel town is pure crap. He is THE toughest QB in the league, and probably the only one who could have played during any NFL era. I'm saddened as many of you are, that we won't be in the post season, but the Steelers are still the greatest team in pro football, and we'll be back just like Arnold was.
SteelCurtainCall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCurtainCall For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #116
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

It is not fair to compare Ben to TB, not fair to Terry anyway. Terry threw as many INTs as TD for his career. The 1978 season the team went 14-2 and TB had 28 TDs and 20 INTs, you would be crazy if you did not believe that defense did'nt cover up a lot of the QB play. Different eras, different NFL. and different teams. Compared to the rest of the NFL at that time the Steelers were head and shoulders above nearly every team. Not from TB alone, but from the entire team, RB, WR, OL, Defense. That team won close games but played some very low scoring games as well, 15-9, 7-6, 7-10, 13-3. It was not all smooth sailing. I watched four SBs and chewed my nails every one. We had some years were TB was hurt and the defense took over games. No Ben is not Peyton, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, or TB but he is pretty damn good. Not drinking kool-aid just enough common sense to know that the odds of getting someone better than Ben is on the slim side.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
fansince'76 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #117
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
It is not fair to compare Ben to TB, not fair to Terry anyway. Terry threw as many INTs as TD for his career. The 1978 season the team went 14-2 and TB had 28 TDs and 20 INTs, you would be crazy if you did not believe that defense did'nt cover up a lot of the QB play. Different eras, different NFL. and different teams. Compared to the rest of the NFL at that time the Steelers were head and shoulders above nearly every team. Not from TB alone, but from the entire team, RB, WR, OL, Defense. That team won close games but played some very low scoring games as well, 15-9, 7-6, 7-10, 13-3. It was not all smooth sailing. I watched four SBs and chewed my nails every one.
This. Remember how bad Gerela sucked?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #118
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

You talk about Manning being an elite QB, and he certainly is; but he threw the losing interception in the SB againt the Saints. He threew it right to the defender. Does that make Peyton a franchise losing QB? He cost his team the SB, if you want to look at it that way. Ben is such a bad QB some of you say, but he has 2 SB rings to Peytons 1, and Bree's 1, and Rodgers 1.

You say Ben should thank the Steelers he is a member, and thank them for the rings? If it weren't for Ben extending plays; we would have never even been there. Our OL is virtually decimated every year by playoff time. If Brady, Manning, Brees, ect took the beatings that Ben takes during the year; they wouldn't be so strong during the game either. Ben takes a friggin' beating every year. You know what; I'm thru defending Ben; think what you want, but I'm glad we have him. He may not be THE best; but he is an elite NFL QB, that's tough as nails.
SteelCurtainCall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #119
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
The Rooneys were fools to fuck with Ben by bringing in some loser OC to "teach him a lesson".

Trying to make Ben a game manager behind a dink and dink ball control offense was the dumbest idea in the world
Really? Ben as a game manager was good enough to win SB XL.

Steelers went 26-7 with Ben his first 2 seasons when he was a game manager and won a superbowl. I personally would love to see him back in that role. It is best for the team.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #120
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtainCall View Post
You talk about Manning being an elite QB, and he certainly is; but he threw the losing interception in the SB againt the Saints. He threew it right to the defender. Does that make Peyton a franchise losing QB? He cost his team the SB, if you want to look at it that way. Ben is such a bad QB some of you say, but he has 2 SB rings to Peytons 1, and Bree's 1, and Rodgers 1.

You say Ben should thank the Steelers he is a member, and thank them for the rings? If it weren't for Ben extending plays; we would have never even been there. Our OL is virtually decimated every year by playoff time. If Brady, Manning, Brees, ect took the beatings that Ben takes during the year; they wouldn't be so strong during the game either. Ben takes a friggin' beating every year. You know what; I'm thru defending Ben; think what you want, but I'm glad we have him. He may not be THE best; but he is an elite NFL QB, that's tough as nails.
Ben has never won a superbowl without a top 10 defense. Aikman and Montana never won a superbowl without a top 10 defense either. What made the Niners and the Cowboys a dynasty is that they were able to provide their teams with top 10 offenses as well.

P Manning is an ironman. He played in over 220 consecutive games. Sorry he doesn't fit your model of "toughness." Go watch clips of Brady getting hit. He gets ROCKED and pops back up like nothing happened. Spare me your folklore.

Ben is not killing the franchise. No one is killing the franchise. That is ludicrous.

Ben is dividing the team. The offensive side of the ball is filled with young players. They will improve and the offense will improve with them. Ben questioning coaches sets a TERRIBLE example. Roethlisberger has never been a leader and he is continuing to be the opposite. His intangibles SUCK.

If Roethlisberger never gave another interview I would be ECSTATIC. If he has something to say to Haley say it to his FACE. Roethlisberger is almost as bad/dumb as Mendenhall. And I know how much everyone likes Mendenhall.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote