Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #61
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: If not Ben, then who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I wasn't born when Bradshaw was "kicked out" of Pittsburgh, Grandpa.

I became a fan in '94.
This actually explains a lot.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #62
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
From your posts, I can tell there is no convincing you of Ben's merit to this organization, (I already knew that from previous posts) but all I can say if Bens career up to now has been stellar to say the least and his stats compare pretty much to any so-called great QB of the last 20 years,( I have already compared his to Elway) I have said I do not believe Ben to be a Peyton or a Brady, I do believe he has been just as instrumental in the success of the Steelers as either of those two have done for their respective teams. Video games, fantasy leagues, have ruined many fans who just do not appreciate the real NFL, it is not as easy as it appears some times. I believe that some of the hate comes from selective memory , like in your case of the Cowher years. I have been a fan since 1972, and I remember Cowhers teams having some not so good years and I remember some pretty poor QB play and Cowher did a great job of balancing defense, and a very good run game. Times have changed, the NFL has changed, Defense alone like the Ravens and TB squad had with no QB to speak of will not win SBs. Teams need good QB play, and while Ben struggled 3 of his last four, his numbers reflect that he had a great year after 9 games. He has had a great career so far. I suspect that your hate and the hate of others stem from more than just his play on the field and more on his off field exploits or his personality, and if that is the case than no one can change your mind.
Not going to respond to straw men arguments about what I probably believe.

I don't play football video games and I hate fantasy football.

And Elway sucked- blew more big games badly than any qb in NFL history. Elway admits that he would not have rings without Terrell Davis.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #63
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
This actually explains a lot.
It sure does. I respect the no-bull attitude the Steelers have taken over the years. The Steelers are a great team year in and year out because of their preparation and attention to detail. There is very little flash on the Steelers.

I watch the Steelers win or lose and appreciate that they always give an enormous effort. And since I started watching the Steelers 15 years after they won a superbowl and remained a fan for 10 years until the won the next one- I have more appreciation for how the game is played rather than focusing strictly on wins and losses.

On the other hand, you became a fan in 1976- immediately following a Steelers superbowl victory.

I am not the ultimate Steelers fan, far from it (the REAL Steelers fans are masturbating themselves to sleep while staring at the Ben Roethlisberger life-size cardboard cutout in the corner of their rooms) but I cheer for the team not individual players.

I can't stop people on this board from scapegoating the entire team to save face for Roethlisberger- but I can put everybody on the defensive and have them so wrapped up on Ben that they forget to demand Haley and Wallace and Tomlin be fired.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #64
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Default Re: If you are dumb enough to want Ben gone, please, point out to me a replacement

Quote:
If Matt Barkley is there at 17 I say take him.

Need to get rid of Roethlisberger he is a locker room cancer.

Haley will keep him level-headed not encourage his egomania like Arians did Roethlisberger.

Barkley will turn out to be the best Steelers QB of all time.

His Jr season was awesome.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #65
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

This is far to reminiscent of other posts. Get rid of Ben, fire Tomlin. etc. I don't care who would've been our QB, our OL was devastated by injuries, Ben was lost for 3 games and TBH I don't think he was truly healthy when he came back. This season was one of those seasons where we struggled in all phases, it happens.
I have said this before, Ben is the right QB for us right now. I can remember the Steelers drafting a "stud" college QB in the first round in the early 80's .... His name was ......Mark Malone. How did that work out?
Yes, SteelersCanada, we won lots of games with O'Donnel, Stewart at QB, how many titles.....0! Ben didn't play well in the 05 SuperBowl but if it wasn't for him in the 3 games prior we wouldn't have been there, in 08 he won that game and should've been MVP.
Thge franchise QB will always get hate, That is the nature of the job,
Lot's of over reaction because we didn't win the Super Bowl! threads like this are getting too predictable and I wish the mods would quiet these down.
Also, far to many insults being thrown at each other because people disagree with each other. People need to relax,
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick5895 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-31-2012), Ricco Suavez (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #66
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,129 Times in 1,983 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

This thread gives me a headache.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #67
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
It sure does. I respect the no-bull attitude the Steelers have taken over the years. The Steelers are a great team year in and year out because of their preparation and attention to detail. There is very little flash on the Steelers.

I watch the Steelers win or lose and appreciate that they always give an enormous effort. And since I started watching the Steelers 15 years after they won a superbowl and remained a fan for 10 years until the won the next one- I have more appreciation for how the game is played rather than focusing strictly on wins and losses.

On the other hand, you became a fan in 1976- immediately following a Steelers superbowl victory.

I am not the ultimate Steelers fan, far from it (the REAL Steelers fans are masturbating themselves to sleep while staring at the Ben Roethlisberger life-size cardboard cutout in the corner of their rooms) but I cheer for the team not individual players.

I can't stop people on this board from scapegoating the entire team to save face for Roethlisberger- but I can put everybody on the defensive and have them so wrapped up on Ben that they forget to demand Haley and Wallace and Tomlin be fired.
And if you've been a fan for that long, then you should also be aware that sometimes the Steelers get so caught up in trying to be right that it has prevented them from winning more.

Take most of the pre-2011 games against the Patriots for example. How many times did the Steelers try the same Marty ball crap? Run, run, pass, punt. How many times did they fall flat on their faces? It wasn't until they actually remembered Ben was their QB that they beat them. Now why would a team continue to employ the same failure of a strategy over and over again?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #68
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:

Is this some allusion to me being a "bandwagon" fan? Even though I stuck with the team through the suckfest known as the 1980s? Trust me, if you started following this team in 1994, you haven't really seen a truly "bad" Steelers team yet. I'm talking Mark Malone at QB, Walter Abercrombie at RB and Weegie Thompson and Calvin Sweeney at wideout bad. In other words, time-to-burn-the-whole-thing-down-to-the-ground-and-start-over-from-scratch bad. This team hasn't been in those kinds of straits since well before 1994, believe me.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fansince'76 For This Useful Post:
Ricco Suavez (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #69
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Well said Fan76. Some just do not know of those lean years, what we have had is a down year, it remains to be seen if its a trend or an anomaly. Makes you wonder if any "real old-timers" still around that remember the dark ages before the 70's.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #70
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Is this some allusion to me being a "bandwagon" fan? Even though I stuck with the team through the suckfest known as the 1980s? Trust me, if you started following this team in 1994, you haven't really seen a truly "bad" Steelers team yet. I'm talking Mark Malone at QB, Walter Abercrombie at RB and Weegie Thompson and Calvin Sweeney at wideout bad. In other words, time-to-burn-the-whole-thing-down-to-the-ground-and-start-over-from-scratch bad. This team hasn't been in those kinds of straits since well before 1994, believe me.
You are a true hero, sir! You made it through the 80s with only the memories of 4 superbowl trophies! For this we all bow down in awe of your magnificent loyalty!