Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,190 Times in 597 Posts
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Terry Bradshaw was an immature, sensitive, depression case. Fans reacting to things is one thing, but Chuck Noll reacting makes it credible. Who did Chuck Noll ride during his 20+ years in Pittsburgh? Only one I know is Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw was the only crackle jack in a group of reserved, mild mannered professionals, with the exception of psychos like Lambert and Joe Greene. Mel Blount, Swann, Stallworth, Butler, Harris, Bleier, Ham, Shell, etc etc were all cut from the same fabric. Even the ones who had style like LC and Ernie Holmes, they were still reserved and calm like thier teammates. All guys that followed Chuck Noll. Chuck Noll didnt like RA RA crap. He never rested on his laurals. And when you see interviews with guys like Butler or Blount during those years, even after Super Bowl wins, they were saying, we need to get back to work and get another one.

Terry wanted to have fun, I get it. But he was on a team lead by an emperor who believe in dominance at every moment of every day. Terry figured it out eventually, he earned and deserves everything.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherinko View Post

You are fulfilling Pittsburgh's reputation for being hard on quarterbacks. If you think our offense is anemic, how do you think we'd fare taking out the 9th highest rated passer in NFL history? Fans of other teams browsing these boards must see comments like this and look at them in shock and disbelief..
I don't judge qbs by their individual stats. I judge qbs by the production of the offenses they run. Audibles at the line, clock management, protection schemes etc. are not reflected in stats.

A good qb is the LEADER and PART of an offense that puts a lot of points on the board. Period.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
plenewken (01-02-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I must be all wrong, here I was judging players by if they helped my team win SBs. Cant put up any numbers to please the masses, only wins count, but if wins aren't enough they it must be about the points. Which is it. Wins, points, Stats, playoff wins, SB wins, Comeback wins, which is it?
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I must be all wrong, here I was judging players by if they helped my team win SBs. Cant put up any numbers to please the masses, only wins count, but if wins aren't enough they it must be about the points. Which is it. Wins, points, Stats, playoff wins, SB wins, Comeback wins, which is it?
Whichever stats make the star QB look bad...
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I want wins. I want Roethlisberger reined in just as Haley is doing. I want an offense that relies more on short passes. The Steelers choose passing plays a higher percentage of the time than the Pats, Broncos or Packers. The teams with the elite quarterbacks still run responsible offenses that try to move the chains without turning the ball over. The Pats offense is the best in the league and is all short passes.

The consensus on these boards seems to be that the offense is faltering because Ben isn't throwing enough. It is an absurd position. The offense is faltering due to injuries and Ben's regression. At the beginning of the season Ben was releasing the ball quickly. After he got hurt he was forcing plays and holding onto the ball. When Ben is stressed he tries to do too much. Period.

The 6 teams who threw the ball the most are out of the playoffs. 4 of the 5 teams who ran the most are in the playoffs. The Niners only pass 47% of the time and they were my choice to win the superbowl until they started a qb controversy.

Get back to Steelers football! Steelers football will ALWAYS be establish the run/stop the run. Period! How insane to hear people criticize the Steelers for lack of identity! There is ONE Steelers identity and it was established by Franco Harris, Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward etc.

Even our WRs hit! That is the Steelers way!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
This guy said Roethlisberger is better than Brees. Ignore everything he says on any subject.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
More like whatever you can keep repeating enough will sound like the truth.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

[QUOTE=lloydwoodson;1072721]
Quote:
I want wins. I want Roethlisberger reined in just as Haley is doing. I want an offense that relies more on short passes. The Steelers choose passing plays a higher percentage of the time than the Pats, Broncos or Packers. The teams with the elite quarterbacks still run responsible offenses that try to move the chains without turning the ball over. The Pats offense is the best in the league and is all short passes.
Oh please. Stop comparing the Steelers' offense to those offenses. The Steelers don't want to be like them. Those teams try to score and win the game early, the Steelers just try to sit on the ball and hope Ben can pull a miracle out of his ass in the last two minutes. If you want long possessions and ball control, this offense will not put up points. And with Haley's terrible play calling, Brady and Manning would get killed dealing with all those 3rd & longs.

Quote:
The consensus on these boards seems to be that the offense is faltering because Ben isn't throwing enough. It is an absurd position. The offense is faltering due to injuries and Ben's regression. At the beginning of the season Ben was releasing the ball quickly. After he got hurt he was forcing plays and holding onto the ball. When Ben is stressed he tries to do too much. Period.
Learn to read. The consensus was they need to take more shots down field to stretch the field. Other teams caught onto the fact the Steelers were just playing Marty ball and Haley did nothing to adjust.

Quote:
The 6 teams who threw the ball the most are out of the playoffs. 4 of the 5 teams who ran the most are in the playoffs. The Niners only pass 47% of the time and they were my choice to win the superbowl until they started a qb controversy.
The 49ers weren't going to win with Alex Smith for the same reason the Steelers didn't win anything in the 90's.

Quote:
Get back to Steelers football! Steelers football will ALWAYS be establish the run/stop the run. Period! How insane to hear people criticize the Steelers for lack of identity! There is ONE Steelers identity and it was established by Franco Harris, Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward etc.

Then don't bitch when the offense doesn't put up points like the Patriots and Broncos. The Steelers want to remain a defensive team, and thus the offense's top priority will not be to score, but to possess.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Wake up and smell the coffee, its 2012, soon to be 2013, Please name the six teams that passed the ball the most, and while you do I will name Atlanta 615, Colts 628, Patriots 641, Broncos 588, Surprise they have QBs that you are in love with. But now you want the run, OK I would like it too, just how could we have run better? We do not have a Gore like SF, or a AP like the Vikings, or even a rookie combination like RGIII and Morris. You want Steeler ball, no surprise to me since you grew up during the Cowher years, guess what there is no Bettis here, there is no great Oline yet. We ran the ball at an anemic rate, but hey I understand its our QB that is holding back the run game but not the guy designing the plays. BTW this year there may be more run oriented teams but last years SB had the two most prolific passing teams as far as attempts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
GoFor7 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

[QUOTE=GoFor7;1072727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Stop comparing the Steelers' offense to those offenses.

Learn to read. The consensus was they need to take more shots down field to stretch the field. Other teams caught onto the fact the Steelers were just playing Marty ball and Haley did nothing to adjust.

Then don't bitch when the offense doesn't put up points like the Patriots and Broncos. The Steelers want to remain a defensive team, and thus the offense's top priority will not be to score, but to possess.
So in your fantasy world you say that Ben is better than Brees and is an elite, top 5 qb; but I am not allowed to compare the offensive production of those teams.

Who should the Steelers take shots down the field to? Mike "I forgot how to catch some time last year" Wallace isn't a viable option at this point. Brown and Sanders run their 5-15 yard routes as is their strength. Somehow Haley's offense still has the second most 20+ yard pass plays in the entire league when Ben gets injured. So what is your problem with the playcalling????? How did the Steelers manage to get so many 20+ yard pass plays without trying?????

Marty ball is smart football. Marty had top 10 scoring offenses in 10 of his 21 seasons as a head coach. Marty only had 2 losing seasons as a head coach. Marty is the 6th winningest coach in NFL history and he did it mostly with the Browns and the Chiefs. "Didn't win superbowls!!! Blah blah blah!!!" is coming. I know that. I guess that's what he gets for playing in an era dominated by the NFC. How many superbowls did Cowher win in the 90s? Who do you think qualifies as a legitimate superpower NFL team nowadays?

The Steelers under Arians were TRYING to put up points like the Colts and Pats - THAT IS WHY ARIANS STOLE THEIR EMPTY BACKFIELD OFFENSES AND WR SCREENS. THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT!!! IT DID NOT WORK!!! The Steelers under Arians tried to change their entire identity as a team - the Rooneys are now trying to change it back.

It is Steelers team, decades of tradition, decades of empirical knowledge, playing to the personnel on the team vs let Ben be Ben and pretend he is elite.

The Rooneys ARE trying to make Ben be Ben. They drafted him to be what he is- a dropback quarterback who is excellent at playaction/improvising not a shotgun superstar.

The Steelers organization knows what Ben is even if you don't.