Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Marty and Cowher both coached their last game in 2006, maybe they seen the writing on the wall and you have yet to get the memo. It is the new NFL, Goodell Ball not Marty Ball. Like Cowherd says adapt or die.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Marty and Cowher both coached their last game in 2006, maybe they seen the writing on the wall and you have yet to get the memo. It is the new NFL, Goodell Ball not Marty Ball. Like Cowherd says adapt or die.
To be honest, I don't think Cowher would be as conservative now as he was when he was head coach. He seems to understand that Ben is the offense's best weapon and that they are built as a passing team. Hell, even an old school guy like Jerome Bettis realizes this isn't the team that Art Rooney II wants it to be.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Wake up and smell the coffee, its 2012, soon to be 2013, Please name the six teams that passed the ball the most, and while you do I will name Atlanta 615, Colts 628, Patriots 641, Broncos 588, Surprise they have QBs that you are in love with. But now you want the run, OK I would like it too, just how could we have run better? We do not have a Gore like SF, or a AP like the Vikings, or even a rookie combination like RGIII and Morris. You want Steeler ball, no surprise to me since you grew up during the Cowher years, guess what there is no Bettis here, there is no great Oline yet. We ran the ball at an anemic rate, but hey I understand its our QB that is holding back the run game but not the guy designing the plays. BTW this year there may be more run oriented teams but last years SB had the two most prolific passing teams as far as attempts.
The Packers are 15th in pass play %, the Pats and Broncos are 20th and 21st respectively. The Steelers are 13th. Do the other teams get more attempts? Sure because they are actually able to sustain drives. The Steelers run more passing plays per attempt than the teams that actually have an elite qb THE DIFFERENCE IS THE OTHER QBS ACTUALLY SUSTAIN DRIVES. Needed to point out my main point since reading comprehension is low on this board.

The Steelers have not had a solid run game since Whisenhunt left. Arians and Tomlin decided to "arm Ben with weapons." The entire Steeler philosophy has been hijacked to appease Ben. They only last year started focusing on the OL.

If Mendenhall had been healthy this year and Tomlin had not engaged in a pissing match with him; the Steelers would have had a viable rushing attack. "Haley didn't have a ground game with 6th round picks running behind an inexperienced line- get rid of Haley!"

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Guess what year the NFL's single game passing record was set?

1951 by Norm Van Brocklin.

Take your "new NFL" talking points that you got from ESPN and NFL websites and cram them!!!!

Football is football. Parts of the game become popular cyclically. Sure it is easier now to pass in the NFL but that doesn't mean the sound practices of decades of football knowledge should be overlooked.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Guess what year the NFL's single game passing record was set?

1951 by Norm Van Brocklin.

Take your "new NFL" talking points that you got from ESPN and NFL websites and cram them!!!!

Football is football. Parts of the game become popular cyclically. Sure it is easier now to pass in the NFL but that doesn't mean the sound practices of decades of football knowledge should be overlooked.
OH SNAP
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #26
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
To be honest, I don't think Cowher would be as conservative now as he was when he was head coach. He seems to understand that Ben is the offense's best weapon and that they are built as a passing team. Hell, even an old school guy like Jerome Bettis realizes this isn't the team that Art Rooney II wants it to be.
More of the same. Ben is the ultimate weapon! Where is Mike Martz? Ben's offense scored more than 23 ppg one time in his career! He is the best ever! Throw a hundred times a game! Shotgun, hurry-up offenses only!

Every coach adapts his offense or defense to best suit the abilities of the players he has. The Steelers front office has been doing this well for decades. This is why when I see them making an effort to rein Ben in and make the offense more balanced I know they are on the right track.

The Steelers coaches and front office know who Ben is even if you don't.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
More of the same. Ben is the ultimate weapon! Where is Mike Martz? Ben's offense scored more than 23 ppg one time in his career! He is the best ever! Throw a hundred times a game! Shotgun, hurry-up offenses only!

Every coach adapts his offense or defense to best suit the abilities of the players he has. The Steelers front office has been doing this well for decades. This is why when I see them making an effort to rein Ben in and make the offense more balanced I know they are on the right track.

The Steelers coaches and front office know who Ben is even if you don't.
And the Steelers have been known to be very stubborn and sometimes value being right over winning. Lets take the ball out of Ben's hands and put it in the hands of some no-name RB! Gotta be like the old Steelers! Lets do more run, run, pass! That worked so well this season!

And lets not give Artie credit just because he shares his father's last name.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #28
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:

"... suspend lloydwoodson...

... fine James Harrison $250,000..."
lloydwoodson (12-31-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
And the Steelers have been known to be very stubborn and sometimes value being right over winning. Lets take the ball out of Ben's hands and put it in the hands of some no-name RB! Gotta be like the old Steelers! Lets do more run, run, pass! That worked so well this season!

And lets not give Artie credit just because he shares his father's last name.
Steelers value being right over winning?

Steelers are 195-100 with 2 superbowls since they hired Cowher.

In my mind the Steelers organization believes winning is right.

Not you.

You would rather disparage the ownership of the franchise we all know and love, the same Steelers organization we all grew up watching, just to indulge in some childish dream that Roethlisberger is bigger than the team and wins games by himself.

Please apologize for defaming the Steelers organization.

It is pretty clear you are a Ben fan not a Steelers fan. You know you could cheer for another team and still be a Ben fan. You probably hate every team's organization though- they're all idiots because they never gave up the farm to steal Ben away from Pittsburgh.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #30
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

[QUOTE=lloydwoodson;1072735]
Quote:

So in your fantasy world you say that Ben is better than Brees and is an elite, top 5 qb; but I am not allowed to compare the offensive production of those teams.

Who should the Steelers take shots down the field to? Mike "I forgot how to catch some time last year" Wallace isn't a viable option at this point. Brown and Sanders run their 5-15 yard routes as is their strength. Somehow Haley's offense still has the second most 20+ yard pass plays in the entire league when Ben gets injured. So what is your problem with the playcalling????? How did the Steelers manage to get so many 20+ yard pass plays without trying?????

Marty ball is smart football. Marty had top 10 scoring offenses in 10 of his 21 seasons as a head coach. Marty only had 2 losing seasons as a head coach. Marty is the 6th winningest coach in NFL history and he did it mostly with the Browns and the Chiefs. "Didn't win superbowls!!! Blah blah blah!!!" is coming. I know that. I guess that's what he gets for playing in an era dominated by the NFC. How many superbowls did Cowher win in the 90s? Who do you think qualifies as a legitimate superpower NFL team nowadays?

The Steelers under Arians were TRYING to put up points like the Colts and Pats - THAT IS WHY ARIANS STOLE THEIR EMPTY BACKFIELD OFFENSES AND WR SCREENS. THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT!!! IT DID NOT WORK!!! The Steelers under Arians tried to change their entire identity as a team - the Rooneys are now trying to change it back.

It is Steelers team, decades of tradition, decades of empirical knowledge, playing to the personnel on the team vs let Ben be Ben and pretend he is elite.

The Rooneys ARE trying to make Ben be Ben. They drafted him to be what he is- a dropback quarterback who is excellent at playaction/improvising not a shotgun superstar.

The Steelers organization knows what Ben is even if you don't.
Yep.

The Steelers tried to mimic the Colts and Patriots with those WR screens and a downfield passing game under Arians. Except that Arians and Ben forgot that running those kinds of offenses takes a lot of work that Ben (unsurprisingly) was just not willing to put in. Running those offenses requires a lot of responsibility, and as we all know, responsibility isn't one of Ben's strong suits. There were some mutterings out of the Steelers locker room since his rookie years that Ben has a lazy streak about him (first guy out of the locker room), and it's showing through.

Like yeah, Ben wants to throw the ball like the big boys do, but didn't wanna do the little nuances that require it to be truly successful. Like accuracy, timing, rhythm, and more importantly, getting the ball out quickly. Ben was just relying on raw ability and doing nothing else. The results: A constantly mediocre offense that flashed on occasion and did very little else, as the Defense was stuck having to do the dirty work. The Steelers don't sniff Super Bowls XLIII and XLV without the Defense. The first season the offense being absolutely terrible and the latter being mediocre.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-01-2013), plenewken (01-02-2013)