Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #141
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: Madden: Ben's at fault, but he's not the only one

Madden looks like a giant Ewok.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
therocksteeler (12-30-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #142
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Injuries and poor efficiency derailed the running game. Our running game was starting to look good - then the O-line started dropping like flies. When your offense does not score, you typically abandon the run because you are playing from behind... this and the injuries is what killed our running game.

Turnovers and poor play from our QB was the dagger to the heart of our offense... that is what happened in the 2nd half and that is exactly what caused our collapse. We all thought and hoped Ben was an older and wiser QB... that he could handle the responsibility of carrying the offense. Ben failed miserably at this ..and when he fell short he started pointing fingers at his coaches rather then step it up. Ben IMO quit... at the very least he failed to grow up and act like the leader he so desperately wants to be. His lack of maturity has been an issue his entire career... this season was no different.

If Ben doesn't believe in coach Haley and his system, then it's not going to work. I think we can all agree Ben basically said "fine, I'll do what ever you want...but It's not my fault when it fails" It was clear from the beginning that Ben was not "all in" and I think it's a part (not all) of the reasons our season was a total failure.
Typical yinzer thinking. Ben doesn't bail out Haley on every 3rd & long after poor play calling, so bash him relentlessly to protect the logo. Please, explain to me how that makes him a bad person?

Quote:
If one of them is going, it's Ben. We're not to keep switching OC's just because he's a petty immature POS. We're not going to win anything? Guess what? At this current rate, Ben will never sniff another Super Bowl with the Steelers anyway, so it doesn't make a difference anyway. Either he gets on board or he goes.
Yep, dump the QB who has won two super bowl for the OC who has won nothing. Were you one of those dumb yinzers that bashed Terry Bradshaw relentlessly? How'd that work out after he left the team? (I know, don't answer that because it'll make you look even more stupid.)

I know deep down many of you want Ben to be the problem, but he isn't. And I keep explaining that he's not always going to succeed when he mostly has to bail the team out on 3rd down or win it at the end because the Steelers play Marty Ball, but yinz are just incapable of understanding that.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #143
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
If Ben doesn't believe in coach Haley and his system, then it's not going to work. I think we can all agree Ben basically said "fine, I'll do what ever you want...but It's not my fault when it fails" It was clear from the beginning that Ben was not "all in" and I think it's a part (not all) of the reasons our season was a total failure.

The other part: Poor coaching decisions...and to a lesser extent "injuries".

Either Ben grows up and gets behind Haley 100% or one of them has to go.
Joe Starkey of the Trib-Review says Ben definitely is not all in

Ode to a rotten season

Quotes of the year

• “Haley‘s offense is not a big-play offense; it‘s kind of a dink-and-dunk offense.” — Roethlisberger, two days before the game at Cincinnati.

Roethlisberger said that only to me, yet I read several media interpretations of what he meant and how he said it. Amazing.

Just know this: If you believe that Ben is a fan of “Haley‘s offense,” you‘re delusional. Ben doesn‘t like Haley‘s offense. Period. That doesn‘t mean it can‘t work. Doesn‘t mean Ben and Haley hate each other. Simply means Ben doesn‘t like Haley‘s offense. Any other account of the situation is wrong.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#axzz2GXgSBc36

FWIW Starkey's column is a nice overview of the many ways in which the 2012 Steelers were such a disappointment
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #144
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Joe Starkey of the Trib-Review says Ben definitely is not all in

Ode to a rotten season

Quotes of the year

• “Haley‘s offense is not a big-play offense; it‘s kind of a dink-and-dunk offense.” — Roethlisberger, two days before the game at Cincinnati.

Roethlisberger said that only to me, yet I read several media interpretations of what he meant and how he said it. Amazing.

Just know this: If you believe that Ben is a fan of “Haley‘s offense,” you‘re delusional. Ben doesn‘t like Haley‘s offense. Period. That doesn‘t mean it can‘t work. Doesn‘t mean Ben and Haley hate each other. Simply means Ben doesn‘t like Haley‘s offense. Any other account of the situation is wrong.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#axzz2GXgSBc36

FWIW Starkey's column is a nice overview of the many ways in which the 2012 Steelers were such a disappointment
Haley's offense is dink and dunk huh? I guess his offense in AZ where he had 3 1,000 yard receivers was just a dream I had. Maybe he has Ben dink and dunk because for every long pass Ben throws deep, 6 of them are over or under throws. And this year, drops by mr contract year boy.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (12-31-2012), plenewken (01-02-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #145
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

We had two 1000 yd receivers last year, and a so called bad OC. Haley had Fitz and Boldin when Boldin was good, Beaston was good in their system also. Not to mention that Kurt Warner was not exactly Swiss cheese, he has been to 3 SBs. Boldin was a beast at the YAC then and Fitz catches nearly everything even in traffic. But I am sure that all some will take from this, is Warner could run this offense better than Ben.( truth is he likely could since this was what he had basically done for his career)
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #146
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
We had two 1000 yd receivers last year, and a so called bad OC. Haley had Fitz and Boldin when Boldin was good, Beaston was good in their system also. Not to mention that Kurt Warner was not exactly Swiss cheese, he has been to 3 SBs. Boldin was a beast at the YAC then and Fitz catches nearly everything even in traffic. But I am sure that all some will take from this, is Warner could run this offense better than Ben.( truth is he likely could since this was what he had basically done for his career)
You sure? In Arizona, ownership probably didn't have a problem with letting Warner score points. In Pittsburgh, he'd have to worry more about time of possession.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #147
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Bens numbers last year 15 games 324 of 513 63.2% 4077yds 21TD 14 INT 63.62QBR
this year 12 games 269 of 426 63.1% 3131yds 23TD 8INT 61.28 QBR

Rushing last year 434 1903yards 13TD 4.4YPC Mendy 4.1 Redman 4.4 Dwyer 7.7
15 games this year 384 1446yds 8TD 3.8YPC Mendy 3.6 Redman 3.7 Dwyer 3.9

Offense last year 20.3 PPG 21st of 32 teams 12th in total yds 9th in first downs
this year 20.8 PPG 22nd of 32 teams 21st in totla yds 17th in first downs.

It does not take a genius to see that Bens numbers are very similar to last and to see the run game has been anemic. I am not blaming this all on Haley but some of you that are throwing our QB under the bus need to sling a little Haleys way. I do not believe Ben has been allowed to audible out of every play this year. While Arians was more of a pass first OC it is obvious that the run game suffered from the way it was used this year and in turned used even less. Arians was more of a pass on first down kind of guy and it should of opened up the run,(which when he did he was an effective OC) Haley on the other hand seems to be run first, in the hope that it would open up the pass and it would have if it had been somewhat effective. His running was ineffective thus making the 2nd and 3rd down plays that much harder for the offense especially the passing game, but Bens numbers are close to normal so where was the failure? Seems that Ben is taking too much of the blame and the coach and the RBs and the Line need to be held accountable for at least a full share of blame.

BTW Ben a career 63.1 completion passer his QBR the last 4 seasons are 67/64/63/61 or the old way of 100.5/97/90/ and this year 95.5
Let's try a little intellectual honesty. Mendenhall came off a season that ended with his knee being torn apart. Mendenhall ran the ball 51 times last year and his health is in question. The other 2 running backs have performed admirably considering they are a 6th rd draft pick and UDFA repsectively.

Mendenhall contributed 928 yds on 4.1 to Arians and 182 yds on 3.6 to Haley.

Let's wait until Haley has a feature back to pass judgement on his offense.

We wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of twisting stats to blame everyone but Ben.

Kudos to Haley for producing more points than Arians last offense in spite of the lack of a feature back, and a slew of OL injuries!

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #148
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Let's try a little intellectual honesty. Mendenhall came off a season that ended with his knee being torn apart. Mendenhall ran the ball 51 times last year and his health is in question. The other 2 running backs have performed admirably considering they are a 6th rd draft pick and UDFA repsectively.

Mendenhall contributed 928 yds on 4.1 to Arians and 182 yds on 3.6 to Haley.

Let's wait until Haley has a feature back to pass judgement on his offense.

We wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of twisting stats to blame everyone but Ben.

Kudos to Haley for producing more points than Arians last offense in spite of the lack of a feature back, and a slew of OL injuries!

Facts are facts, and the fact we had no run game yet you still clamor for one is amazing to me. The fact that we had no running game plays no part in QB play or wins, (thats sarcasm). No excuses for Ben it just appears you added other players, coaches in you grand them of blaming the teams shortcomings. You yourself have added more to the Blame pool. And here I thought you were only blaming our QB.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #149
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Facts are facts, and the fact we had no run game yet you still clamor for one is amazing to me. The fact that we had no running game plays no part in QB play or wins, (thats sarcasm). No excuses for Ben it just appears you added other players, coaches in you grand them of blaming the teams shortcomings. You yourself have added more to the Blame pool. And here I thought you were only blaming our QB.
I am not blaming Mendenhall for being hurt. He couldn't help that.

If the OL is healthy next year and Mendenhall is back and healthy then the running game will be decent.

The Steelers drafted G and T the same year Arians left this is not a coincidence.

Gilbert, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams are the new Steelers line. They need to get good fast and gel fast.

When this happens the Steelers will be on track. Will Johnson needs to see the field more. I need some fullback in my day.

Power football!

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #150
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,763 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I am not blaming Mendenhall for being hurt. He couldn't help that.

If the OL is healthy next year and Mendenhall is back and healthy then the running game will be decent.

The Steelers drafted G and T the same year Arians left this is not a coincidence.

Gilbert, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams are the new Steelers line. They need to get good fast and gel fast.

When this happens the Steelers will be on track. Will Johnson needs to see the field more. I need some fullback in my day.

Power football!
I agree with you on Will Johnson, and, I'm not sure where you are coming from with wanting power football. Do you mean pound and ground - or do you mean the other definition - balance and running it well enough that the defense respects it, and utilizing them as additional receiving options?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote