Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Indulging Ben's childish whims and keeping up the delusion that he's a top-flight QB will result in more seasons like 2012. Ben is not a top-flight QB and it's unlikely he isn't going to be, or simply put, just doesn't want to. He wants to be a good guy carried by the Defense all his career. If Ben doesn't want to take his job seriously, then it's in the Steelers' best interest to restrict his responsibilities so he doesn't drive another season into the ground. Hey guy, I'll call the plays, you drop back and hand off, how about that?

We've seen the same crap every year since 2008. The Steelers have continued the charade and the experiment than Ben is the reason they win, and time after time again, the Defense has had to be called upon rescue the team from the soup, because our QB feels satisfied winning 17-13 and 20-17 contests.

It's all about the Defense here in Pittsburgh, not Ben. If the Defense sucks, the team goes nowhere and wins nothing.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-01-2013), plenewken (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #32
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

[QUOTE=Edman;1072776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Yep.

The Steelers tried to mimic the Colts and Patriots with those WR screens and a downfield passing game under Arians. Except that Arians and Ben forgot that running those kinds of offenses takes a lot of work that Ben (unsurprisingly) was just not willing to put in. Running those offenses requires a lot of responsibility, and as we all know, responsibility isn't one of Ben's strong suits. There were some mutterings out of the Steelers locker room since his rookie years that Ben has a lazy streak about him (first guy out of the locker room), and it's showing through.

Like yeah, Ben wants to throw the ball like the big boys do, but didn't wanna do the little nuances that require it to be truly successful. Like accuracy, timing, rhythm, and more importantly, getting the ball out quickly. Ben was just relying on raw ability and doing nothing else. The results: A constantly mediocre offense that flashed on occasion and did very little else, as the Defense was stuck having to do the dirty work. The Steelers don't sniff Super Bowls XLIII and XLV without the Defense. The first season the offense being absolutely terrible and the latter being mediocre.
Ben is what he is. It is the fans throwing everyone else under the bus to cover for his poor effort and egomania that bothers me.

Ben is not elite. Period. Brady and Manning have not missed the playoffs since 2002 and 2001 respectively (apart from being injured). This means that the last time Manning missed the playoffs Roethlisberger was in his sophomore year at college.

The Colts defense was TERRIBLE. The Patriots defense is TERRIBLE.

Meanwhile Roethlisberger has missed 3 playoffs in spite of having a top 5 defense every year he has been in the league with the exception of 2006 when it was 9th. Manning had a top 10 defense 3x in 13 seasons.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-28-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #33
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048
Thanked 1,014 Times in 424 Posts

It is worth noting that Manning and Brady have played in abysmally terrible divisions for most of their careers, while Ben has had to deal with at least one, if not two good teams within the AFC North every season. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback. He is the greatest quarterback in Steelers history, and is more than likely a first ballot Hall of Famer. It will be a sad day when he retires. Hopefully they don't have to wait another 25 years for another franchise QB.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #34
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Yes, Ben is who he is. I've come to accept that. He's no leader. He's no elite quarterback. He's just a guy, and doesn't belong in the discussion with the league greats. He's better than the crap before him, but he's not on Bradshaw's level and the top-line level QB's.

The Rooneys watch the team and see the games and they know what they have at hand. The five year experiment with Arians' vertical passing game said the whole thing. Yeah, Two more SB appearances (With Ben playing mediocre in both of them) says it all. That's why Haley was brought in. Back to 2004/2005-Era Steelers Football. Ben does his thing while the rest of the team does the rest. I don't think the Rooneys care if Ben likes it or not.

Ben has been given loads of opportunities to shine in a vertical passing offense, the Steelers HAVE brought in and even drafted weapons for him to succeed, and the production had remained the same. Inconsistency, Loads of sacks, poor red zone efficiency, and bad scoring. This is in an era of Goodell-ball where Defenses are gimped and Offenses have had many opportunities to thrive.

Last edited by Edman; 01-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #35
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
It is worth noting that Manning and Brady have played in abysmally terrible divisions for most of their careers, while Ben has had to deal with at least one, if not two good teams within the AFC North every season. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback. He is the greatest quarterback in Steelers history, and is more than likely a first ballot Hall of Famer. It will be a sad day when he retires. Hopefully they don't have to wait another 25 years for another franchise QB.
The Ravens have made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years. The year they missed Kyle Boller was their starting qb.

The Steelers have made the playoffs 4 of the last 7 years. Every year Roethlisberger was their starting qb.

Don't give me any AFC North nonsense. And if you go back more than 7 years... Kyle Boller was their starting qb.

Roethlisberger is the second best qb in Steelers history. Bradshaw actually had some really clutch performances in big games (read superbowls).

I agree that Roethlisberger will make the HoF. I'm not sure that it matters which ballot.

I for one hope Roethlisberger stops his girlish dramatics and reestablishes the Steelers as the best team in the AFC North. I am a little tired of watching the Ravens go to the playoffs.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #36
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Ben is our guy. He is everything a Steelers Quarterback should be. The biggest problem is that he is not a "student of the game". Brees, Brady, Rodger, and the Mannings watched more tape than Ben watched drunk college chicks (before getting married). Now Ben will be spending his time watching his kid. His athletism is waning as his injuries pile up. His injury list reads more like a stuntman than a quarterback.

Bradshaw was the brain of the offense in those days. Yes he had the best defense, but so does Ben. The difference is Terry had 4 Super Bowl wins in his first 10 seasons. Ben has had 9 seasons now and mathematically cannot match that. He needs to leave his ego outside the stadium and do what he is paid to do.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #37
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
... Ben Roethlisberger... is the greatest quarterback in Steelers history...
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #38
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

Growing up in Pittsburgh, I’ve watched the Steelers since I was a little kid. I witnessed most of Bradshaw’s career, and the four Super Bowls. I’ve also watched Ben. Both quarterbacks are similar in their style of play, yet they excel in different aspects. But overall, Ben is better than Bradshaw. Ben is bigger. He’s tougher. He has got a stronger arm. He can move outside the pocket, and throw the ball on-the-run better. In his prime, he could scramble better. Bradshaw was great, but Ben has more natural ability at quarterback.
It took Bradshaw a long time to, fully, develop as a quarterback. Early in his career, he had the arm-strength, but his passes were a little wobbly. He didn’t throw a pretty ball. He was not throwing a tight spiral until he was in the league 6-7 years.
And, as for Bradshaw’s four Super Bowl wins, the league was different back then. There were the haves, and the have-nots. The Steelers became one of the haves, because we had the scouts that could go out, find and evaluate players that were coming out of college better than most of the other teams. By the late 1970’s, the NFL decided to try and correct the imbalance of talent in the league. They wanted parody. What they did was centralize the evaluation process of players coming out of college by creating what is now known as the Scouting Combine. The move by the NFL made a difference, but free agency is what , finally, leveled the playing field, somewhat. Today, there are no teams that are dominating the league, over a period of years. There are still winning franchises, like the Steelers that operate better than others, but there are no dynasties.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #39
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

You know what's ironic about Bradshaw? He spends all this time complaining about how unfairly he was treated by the fans and the media... and then he becomes one of the leading figures in sports journalism criticizing other players routinely.

Wow. That just struck me now. How absurd that the small town hick who hates attention becomes one of the media's most prominent faces.

Have you ever heard the comments he made about Cam Newton last year? They were reall mean. He said Cam was going to flop, that Ponder and Gabbert were going to be better quarterbacks, and that every quarterback in the draft was further along developmentally than Cam. Essentially that he would be a bust.

Hmm. That is probably about the same type of media attention he feels he got. I wonder how Cam felt about Bradshaw's opinion.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #40
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,107 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

If Tom Brady was the Steeler QB right now, with this roster, how many points a game do you think the Steelers would average? How many would they average with Rodgers, Manning, Brees, etc....?
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote