Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #71
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,578 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
While a QB should not go at 9, the QBs always go higher than expected. Look for Barkley to come of the board at 9.

IF a trade occurs, what about trading with San Diego? Since they are the most likely team to snag Te'o... why not take them out of the equation (by making them move downward via a trade).

I;m not sold on trading up (I say risk it & draft an OLB if he's gone)... but... if Te'o is the target, then SD would be a logical trade partner.
I agree I do not want to trade up in this draft.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #72
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,433 Times in 4,684 Posts

I suggest if anyone has any doubts on Barkevious Mingo, they turn on this Chick-Fil-A bowl and watch him. Holy shit, this dude is going to be for real.

And, Malliciah Goodman is someone to watch out for as well. He's a DE for the Clemson Tigers and would play 3-4 DE for us. He's explosive and quick with good feet and strong arms. He's also working through double teams right now and still getting to the QB. 2 sacks in the first quarter isn't bad.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #73
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I suggest if anyone has any doubts on Barkevious Mingo, they turn on this Chick-Fil-A bowl and watch him. Holy shit, this dude is going to be for real.

And, Malliciah Goodman is someone to watch out for as well. He's a DE for the Clemson Tigers and would play 3-4 DE for us. He's explosive and quick with good feet and strong arms. He's also working through double teams right now and still getting to the QB. 2 sacks in the first quarter isn't bad.
The only doubts on mingo is his strength and if he will be able to hold his own against nfl lineman. No question he is fast and explosive but he needs to bulk up. I believe he only had 5.5 sacks this season and for a first rounder that's very low
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #74
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

You want us to draft another DE in the first round? Even if Hood and Heyward were busts (they're not) it's far from an area of need.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #75
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
You want us to draft another DE in the first round? Even if Hood and Heyward were busts (they're not) it's far from an area of need.
Agreed I don't won't to go in this direction we have other needs.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #76
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

whatever our draft looks like next year, we will basically have an additional 1st and 3rd next year as neither DeCastro or Spence got any real time as rookies.
I think Spence will solidify our pass D to help shut down TE's and RB's in the passing game. In the more specialized NFL, I think he'll be valuable.
I think we all think and hope DeCastro will be the next Faneca. I think Troy's replacement is a priority. I'd take a RB somewhere, but not early. Other than that, BPA as usual.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #77
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Does anyone know the compensatory picks the Steelers would get if and when Mike Wallace and Mendenhall sign elsewhere. I'm assuming there would be at least one third rounder in there plus something else. Two 3's maybe would be awesome.

Not sure how it all works but we could get quite a few picks actually with guys like Starks, Hampton, or any more of the 17 Unrestricted Free Agents we have signing elsewhere.

However does it even apply to the 2013 draft? or is it the one after that?
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #78
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
whatever our draft looks like next year, we will basically have an additional 1st and 3rd next year as neither DeCastro or Spence got any real time as rookies.
I think Spence will solidify our pass D to help shut down TE's and RB's in the passing game. In the more specialized NFL, I think he'll be valuable.
I think we all think and hope DeCastro will be the next Faneca. I think Troy's replacement is a priority. I'd take a RB somewhere, but not early. Other than that, BPA as usual.
You have to throw Adams in there as well he was injured a lot this year as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #79
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Does anyone know the compensatory picks the Steelers would get if and when Mike Wallace and Mendenhall sign elsewhere. I'm assuming there would be at least one third rounder in there plus something else. Two 3's maybe would be awesome.

Not sure how it all works but we could get quite a few picks actually with guys like Starks, Hampton, or any more of the 17 Unrestricted Free Agents we have signing elsewhere.

However does it even apply to the 2013 draft? or is it the one after that?
This explains the process.

Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #80
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Am I the only one who wants to draft a HB in the 1st round?!