Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

I was as vocal as anyone at the end of last season in expressing the need for Arians to be replaced.

It is another year later and the offensive production is almost exactly the same.

This has caused me to look at where blame is being placed on the offense. I had previously believed that Arians was a poor fit for the team and that Roethlisberger would flourish under new direction. I was wrong.

I took a look at some of the other coordinators around the league. I asked myself: how much of an effect does an offensive coordinator really have?

I stumbled on an article from Bleacher Report. It named Josh McDaniels as the worst offensive coordinator in the NFL last year. McDaniels was the OC for the St Louis Rams in 2011. The Rams anemic offense produced only 12 points per game, rotating qbs as their underperforming starter, Sam Bradford, was injured. I wondered how much of that poor performance should lie at the feet of the OC.

I looked at where Josh McDaniels was this year. He received an offer from Bill Belichek to be the Patriots' OC at the beginning of 2012. Why would Belichek hire the worst OC in football if he is a football genius like sportscasters keep claiming? I found it odd... that is until I kept researching. It turns out Belichek was right and that the cause of the Rams offensive woes was not the OC!

With the Patriots Josh McDaniels offense score an astounding 36 ppg! That is triple what his offense had produced the year before! It turns out that having a star quarterback made all the difference! Josh McDaniels went from being the worst OC in football to being the best OC in football and all it took was a new quarterback!

In conclusion, I now realise that every OC does the best with what they have. Their error likely lies in the perception they have of their own talent as that determines their identity and game plans.

I am sorry Bruce. You did the best you could with what you were given- an underachieving QB, a shoddy OL and headcases for RBs and WRs. I am pleased to see that your new team is doing quite well under your offense, and wish you the best in the future.

Abashedly, Lloyd.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Brady and the Patriot system for 2 reasons. Another is JMcD is very familiar with that system and Bady both, not hard to see why he has success with them. Thought even you could see that. BTW you were right in being wrong.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Jahodac
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24485

The difference is that the Rams don't have the personnel to win cause they are rebuilding. The Steelers do have the players to win, it's just that everybody, both players and coaches, were incompetent this year. Arians had a good offense to work with and blew it. He's still a good OC though seeing the job Haley did this year.

You are right though, the offensive players were a problem this year. It's important to note that when everybody is playing poorly, it may be the system. It's no secret to the casual fan that this team is not built for dink and dunk; maybe in ten years or so with a new QB and receivers, but not now.
Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,028 Times in 562 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

While I am in the minority in thinking we give Haley one more shot, I have to say he is on very, very thin ice.

The_Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

So given the fans propensity to make harsh initial judgments, will we be having a thread like this next year for Haley after the team buys in and gets healthy?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,323 Times in 3,994 Posts

I'm sorry, did you just compare the St. Louis Rams to the New England Patriots? Let's break that down for a second. The Rams have Sam Bradford as their staring Quarterback and the Patriots have arguably the best Quarterback to ever take a snap.

It's not hard to call plays for Brady. Most of the time he'll just audible out of it and call his own plays. The Pats are most successful when they're in the 2 minute offense and Brady is calling his own plays and running the offense.

You have to realize that this comparison is ridiculous. Anyone could coordinate for Brady and put up fucking insane numbers. He's - in my opinion - the best Quarterback to ever do it and you're bringing up the fact that Ben can't put up similar numbers? For the love of God you have to realize that this isn't even a lucid comparison.

Here's the simple fact of the matter - Stats. Don't. Mean. Anything. Would you trade Ben's playoff wins and rings for Matt Ryan's stats? Or Manning's stats? He doesn't put up flashy numbers or insane yardage because he doesn't have to. He knows how to win games and knows how to come back in the fourth quarter to win games. We're going to forget all of this because of a down season? Really? People are paying way too much attention to numbers so I'll give you numbers:

Matt Ryan - 0-3 in the postseason

Peyton Manning - 9-10 in the postseason

Ben Roethlisberger - 10-4 in the postseason

I already know what people are going to come on here saying: "don't make team achievements personal achievements!!!!!!!11!" and I say nay sir. Elite Quarterbacks know how to win playoff games and championships - something Matt Ryan knows nothing about.

Is Stafford a better quarterback than Ben? I mean, he's put up some pretty good yardage in the last couple seasons. Should we trade for Stafford and shit all over Roethlisberger because he doesn't pass for 300+ a game? Or, should we recognize that we have a top 5 quarterback and stop bitching about him.

Also, Ben is an underachieving Quarterback? He has two Super Bowl rings. What the fuck else does this guy have to do to earn respect from the fans in this town? Ask 30 other teams if they want Roethlisberger and they'd jump at the chance. I'm in shock that there's a sect of Steelers fans that actually think like this. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Lloyd, we've started to agree on a lot of things recently but this is laughable.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Men of Steel (01-02-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-01-2013), WVABE (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,661 Times in 1,755 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm sorry, did you just compare the St. Louis Rams to the New England Patriots? Let's break that down for a second. The Rams have Sam Bradford as their staring Quarterback and the Patriots have arguably the best Quarterback to ever take a snap.

It's not hard to call plays for Brady. Most of the time he'll just audible out of it and call his own plays. The Pats are most successful when they're in the 2 minute offense and Brady is calling his own plays and running the offense.

You have to realize that this comparison is ridiculous. Anyone could coordinate for Brady and put up fucking insane numbers. He's - in my opinion - the best Quarterback to ever do it and you're bringing up the fact that Ben can't put up similar numbers? For the love of God you have to realize that this isn't even a lucid comparison.

Also, Ben is an underachieving Quarterback? He has two Super Bowl rings. What the fuck else does this guy have to do to earn respect from the fans in this town? Ask 30 other teams if they want Roethlisberger and they'd jump at the chance. I'm in shock that there's a sect of Steelers fans that actually think like this. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Lloyd, we've started to agree on a lot of things recently but this is laughable.
I'll chime in, cause you all really wanted me to

IMO - Ben isn't under-achieving, he's just plateaued. If you want the offense to do more, he does in fact have to "tweak" something, and that includes his gun-slinging, live by the sword, die by the sword attitude. If you want the rest of his career to be Brett Favreish then rock on.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-01-2013), ZoneBlitzer (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
While I am in the minority in thinking we give Haley one more shot, I have to say he is on very, very thin ice.

I am on record that I was not as happy with Haley as I would like, but I agree with you. Swapping OCs every year is no way to go. I defend Ben on a lot of things, but he is going to have to give a little and in turn Haley has to adapt more to the team, which includes Ben. If we had the personnel to play smash mouth football I would be all for it, the FO needs to back off their mantra of returning to "Steeler Ball" and go with what we have. I still believe in a somewhat balance attack, but it has to be balanced in how successful each part is. The running game needs to pull its own weight next year.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,484 Times in 1,513 Posts

arians was a freakin turd. 1 bad season from hailey doesn't validate 5 years of horrible game plans and play calling. blame the players and execution all you want , but then ask yourself why after 5 years of teaching / coaching the players still couldn't become efficient in running his offense ...
if you paid a math tutor for 5 years to teach your kid math and after 5 years the kid still struggled to put up more than a C on a test , were you getting your money's worth ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2013), MACH1 (01-01-2013), Men of Steel (01-02-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-01-2013), steelfury02 (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Ha! You are on my side more than I am. You have just stated EXACTLY my point.

Your opinion is the Patriots offense succeeds because Brady is the best to ever do it. You even go so far as to say the Patriots offense is the best when no OC is involved whatsoever. How important is an OC come game time really?

My opinion is the offense of any team will only go so far as the personnel regardless of who the coordinator is and the most important player is BY FAR the qb.

You have just stated the exact same thing.

My point is that Ben is no where near Brady.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Also, in NO WAY was I condemning Haley. If he leaves then a new OC will oversee Ben's offense putting up the exact same numbers.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote