Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #21
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
That is EXACTLY what it is

But didn't you find it insightful? An NFL OC is said to be the worst in the league by the media one year and is in control of the best offense in the NFL the next. Personnel is much more responsible than coaching for wins.

No but they do go 100 yards on an int for a td in the dying seconds of the first half.

And they do sack the other teams qb on back-to-back plays so he can't orchestrate the superbowl comeback of his own because your qb has waited 119 minutes to throw his first superbowl td.

And they do run back an int 40 yards for a td in the 4th quarter of the AFC championship game to turn a potentially game-winning drive for the other team into a 23-14 win (without which you wouldn't be in the superbowl in the first place).
Well Intelligent posts did not last long. The media did not call Arians the Worst, no that belongs to the fans. In fact there was many articles calling the Steelers out for making such a move.

Next You are playing the what if card again, not what happened. When Ben had his GW SB drive it actually happened after two scores by the Cardinals against our defense, you bring up a defensive score that cemented the win yea that is correct, but its a "what if" scenario. What if the other team scored, then I can say "what if" Ben had a GW drive to save the defense that gave up the lead. You cannot have it both ways.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
IMO - Ben isn't under-achieving, he's just plateaued. If you want the offense to do more, he does in fact have to "tweak" something, and that includes his gun-slinging, live by the sword, die by the sword attitude. If you want the rest of his career to be Brett Favreish then rock on.
Or maybe the Steelers should stop fretting over ball control and let Ben win it early. He can't pull miracles out of his ass all the time because the team wants to play Marty ball.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Finally a post I can in good conscience agree with nearly every point. I agree Ben is lost, but i think the FO contributed to that by asking him to revamp his game, a style that has been productive so far. I agree that Haleys game plan has the potential to work, ( I just do not believe we have had a healthy line or the RBs needed to do it) Haleys game plan was starting to show results even after a shaky start, (those first 3 losses were not entirely on the offense though). I still believe that both parties need to compromise, we need WRs that will catch and hold on to the ball, we need a defense that creates some TO's (24th in the league) we need some defensive and ST scores (1 this year and 2 last year, Chicago had 9 this year and TB while last in defense manage 3 on defensive alone) We need a running game that does not disappear, a RB that can get some tough yards yet can break it outside occasionally, even catch a ball now and then. Would love to have a Marshall Faulk type but they do not show up every day, we have what we have. I believe the Wr just had that type of year that a lot went wrong, still believe in most of them, not ready to throw them away because they are not CJ, Fitz, and not ready to give up[ on our QB just because he is not Peyton or Brady.
Yeah my true opinion is a lot more moderate than I pretend. I like playing devil's advocate and I also feel you have to fight fire with fire some times. A lot of good dialogue has come from my persistent agitation.

I think Haley is more than willing to throw the ball when required. Ben was throwing the ball 36 times per game. That is a lot. The difference is TEs and RBs are now targeted much more often. I expect another TE and RB to be drafted on day 2.

The defense is not as good as it was. Harrison and Polamalu carried the D for a lot of years and they are fading. It is damn lucky that Timmons is stepping up now and it looks like C Allen will also. Turnovers are huge issue but they won't be generated without a better pass rush. LeBeau did a nice job dialing up inside pressure but the OLBs have to produce! (GoFor7 saying Woodley is so fat he is going to start at NT was really funny but don't tell him I said anything nice about him).

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

You weren't wrong. Arians with his no halfback and use miller more for blocking and five wides on third and inches and end arounds in your own endzone is a total doofus. Oh and how much better could mendy and Parker have been if they had someone leading and making holes. He had a bad oline and ran 30 yd route plays.

Ben did underachieve the second half, but mostly in critical situations. Overall he was pretty good. The offense was awesome on third down first half, I don't ever remember it being that good in all the years BA was here.

Biggest difference I can see is last year we lost situational football because of dumb ass 12 step drop passes that barely ever worked. This year we lost situational football because of player mistakes. We just turned the ball over too many times at at the worst moments. Except SanDiego we got flat out, out coached. So the situational football mistakes had little to do with play calling. At this stage of these guys careers they shouldn't have to be coached on how to protect the ball.

Jury is still out on Haley, but so far IMO he is an upgrade.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lardlad For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-01-2013), harrison'samonster (01-01-2013), lloydwoodson (01-01-2013), Ricco Suavez (01-01-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Yeah my true opinion is a lot more moderate than I pretend. I like playing devil's advocate and I also feel you have to fight fire with fire some times. A lot of good dialogue has come from my persistent agitation.

I think Haley is more than willing to throw the ball when required. Ben was throwing the ball 36 times per game. That is a lot. The difference is TEs and RBs are now targeted much more often. I expect another TE and RB to be drafted on day 2.

The defense is not as good as it was. Harrison and Polamalu carried the D for a lot of years and they are fading. It is damn lucky that Timmons is stepping up now and it looks like C Allen will also. Turnovers are huge issue but they won't be generated without a better pass rush. LeBeau did a nice job dialing up inside pressure but the OLBs have to produce! (GoFor7 saying Woodley is so fat he is going to start at NT was really funny but don't tell him I said anything nice about him).
Well you do play a good Devils Advocate, and I know that most of your comments about Ben do not stem from me., just as most of mine are not directed to you. Its just this Ben has done nothing for this organization that chaps my butt. He is not a top 3-4 QB but he is what we have and he has had success on his own that is not tied directly to the defense every time. I feel Ben and TB are more alike than we think in that the longer Ben is retire he will be remembered more fondly than he was during his playing days.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Well Intelligent posts did not last long. The media did not call Arians the Worst, no that belongs to the fans. In fact there was many articles calling the Steelers out for making such a move.

Next You are playing the what if card again, not what happened. When Ben had his GW SB drive it actually happened after two scores by the Cardinals against our defense, you bring up a defensive score that cemented the win yea that is correct, but its a "what if" scenario. What if the other team scored, then I can say "what if" Ben had a GW drive to save the defense that gave up the lead. You cannot have it both ways.
Oh God. I was talking about J McDaniels not Arians. The OP is about J McD. His offense went from 12 ppg to 36 ppg. If Belichek hadn't given him a job I am not sure who would have.

If you don't want to admit to yourself that the defense played a MONUMENTAL role in the SB XLIII win that is your decision.

The Cardinals were going to score points. Fitzgerald had 546 yards and 7 tds in that playoffs!!! That ties A Brown's career total tds.

They were scoring more than 30 every game. The D held them to 23 points and scored 7 of their own. Not bad.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

I am sorry for the mistake of which OC you were talking about, in my defense this is a "an apology to Arians" thread.

Still does not change my opinion of your "spin" on the "what if scenarios"
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #28
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
IMO - Ben isn't under-achieving, he's just plateaued. If you want the offense to do more, he does in fact have to "tweak" something, and that includes his gun-slinging, live by the sword, die by the sword attitude. If you want the rest of his career to be Brett Favreish then rock on.
This does appear to be the case right now.

Hopefully Big Ben 'takes another leap'. The Steelers can't succeed with a prima-donna gunslinger under center (plus, I hate Brett Favre and couldn't stomach rooting for a newer version of him!).
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
This does appear to be the case right now.

Hopefully Big Ben 'takes another leap'. The Steelers can't succeed with a prima-donna gunslinger under center (plus, I hate Brett Favre and couldn't stomach rooting for a newer version of him!).
I'm really not sure where this mentality about Ben comes from....

He can't win it all the time when the Steelers just try to play ball-control for the majority of the game. He tries to bail the Steelers out from their own stupidity at the end of the game, but he's not going to every time. This offense had no killer instinct. Just sat on a ball and hoped the defense would keep it close. Result: 8-8.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
defence (01-01-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Excuse me, but how many Super Bowls have the team with the "best quarterback ever" (Tom Brady) won in the last 7 years?

Answer: 0. Yes, that would mean ZERO!

How many last minute, game-winning drives has he had in the last 7 Super Bowls?

Answer: 0 again!

I think someone's theory may have some holes in it.

Since Ben and Eli Manning have entered thier prime years, they have won 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls. I would like an explanation for this obvious but never mentioned fact.
Ben's and Eli's teams have won 4 of the last 7 SBs. As far as how much contribution these 2 had in their respective wins, I will say that Ben's contribution was extremely poor compared to Eli's.
He threw a combined total of 1 TD pass and 3 INT in the 2 SBs he won.
Eli threw 3TD passes and 1 INT in the 2 SBs he won.

It's not even necessary to look at the QB ratings for these 4 SBs because the domination of Eli is even more obvious. Ben holds a record that will be very hard to beat : a QB rating of 22.6 in the SB against Seattle.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote