Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish
Default Re: The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

I put a lot of the blame on the running game. We do NOT have a franchise HB right now, period.

Steelers, Heat, Caps, Nats, Kevin Harvick #4
The_Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
I put a lot of the blame on the running game. We do NOT have a franchise HB right now, period.
What about Mendenhall? Career 4.1 ypc behind one of the worst lines in football over the last several years. Not too shabby. Jerome Bettis had a career average of 3.9.

I say bring Mendenhall back. Chargers let Turner go to Atlanta and burned a 1st rounder on Ryan Matthews- how is that working out for them?

Why let a perfectly good and complete back walk away when you could resign him cheap?

How many teams are looking for a 4 year veteran coming off a knee injury who had a 3.5 ypc last year? How much could it possibly cost to resign him?

Mendenhall has given good service to the Steelers. 2 1000 yard seasons. But you're all so sensitive over his twitter posts you want to see him gone.

"Get rid of Mendenhall! Draft a rb in the first round! There is a Kijana Carter, Rashan Salaam, Chris Perry, Ron Dayne, Tim Worley out there waiting for us!"

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Mendenhall isn't even among the "2nd tier" group of backs in this league. That tells you something. Regardless, he won't be back.

The problems are many. Excessive injuries. Poor offensive line play that doesn't open holes or block very well. Dumb playcalling. None of the backs being constently good. Tons and tons of dropped passes. And so on. SO much more here to blame than our QB.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
stairway27 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,644 Posts
My Mood: Fine

good points

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

You know, it has nothing to do with anything about the offense or the coaches.

It is the TRAINING STAFF'S FAULT.

No stretching, no commitment to hamstrings, more fudge rounds. The plan is complete. HE, HE, HEEEEEEEE

Agree to disagree.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Mendenhall isn't even among the "2nd tier" group of backs in this league. That tells you something. Regardless, he won't be back.

The problems are many. Excessive injuries. Poor offensive line play that doesn't open holes or block very well. Dumb playcalling. None of the backs being constently good. Tons and tons of dropped passes. And so on. SO much more here to blame than our QB.
Mendenhall's best season would have been good enough for 7th in the NFL this year.

Mendenhall has been part of a pass-first offense that lacked a true fullback his entire career. Still has a couple thousand yard seasons and a 4.1 ypc. He is also good at picking up blitzes and catching the ball. I would grade him a "B" and look elsewhere to improve the team. I hope he is back healthy.

What is this "2nd tier" garbage and whose words are you speaking? Clearly you are regurgitating what someone else said.

"Yeah! Let's get rid of him over his tweets! If everyone else hates him I hate him too!"

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Mendenhall's best season would have been good enough for 7th in the NFL this year.

Mendenhall has been part of a pass-first offense that lacked a true fullback his entire career. Still has a couple thousand yard seasons and a 4.1 ypc. He is also good at picking up blitzes and catching the ball. I would grade him a "B" and look elsewhere to improve the team. I hope he is back healthy.

What is this "2nd tier" garbage and whose words are you speaking? Clearly you are regurgitating what someone else said.

"Yeah! Let's get rid of him over his tweets! If everyone else hates him I hate him too!"
I've been outspoken about his perceived attitude, and while I realize he's had a couple of great seasons - to me, he's equally had some hesitation and commitment issues - hence, doghouse twice in the time he's been here. For a first rounder, I'm just guessing here, the Steelers expected at least more commitment and less lack of focus. I just think we have a 50/50 chance of getting at least the same production out of someone else that is worth taking the risk of dropping some of the personality issues. Just my two cents.

Agree to disagree.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #18
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I've been outspoken about his perceived attitude, and while I realize he's had a couple of great seasons - to me, he's equally had some hesitation and commitment issues - hence, doghouse twice in the time he's been here. For a first rounder, I'm just guessing here, the Steelers expected at least more commitment and less lack of focus. I just think we have a 50/50 chance of getting at least the same production out of someone else that is worth taking the risk of dropping some of the personality issues. Just my two cents.
Honestly I think Ray Lewis broke more than his shoulder blade. Mendenhall is hesitant and doesn't run with the determination of Redman. He still is talented enough to make plays. I don't think he is a great back but I think RB is a position that should be found later in drafts.

Mendenhall's personality issues involve his twitter account. I think people are blowing that way out of proportion. I could care less what he thinks. Tomlin is the one with a problem with Mendy. If Tomlin doesn't have a problem with him and he comes back I don't know why anyone else would.

There are a TON of bust RBs out there- Mendenhall isn't one of them. There is no guarantee that a RB will perform. Drafting one better than Mendenhall will be difficult and the pick is better spent elsewhere.

If I was Mendenhall I would be pissed. He is making less than 1M per year, hasn't had a leadblocking fullback, and gets nothing but crap in the media.

The NFL is full of guys with assaults, DUIs and drug possessions and fans hate Mendy because of his tweets....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Honestly I think Ray Lewis broke more than his shoulder blade. Mendenhall is hesitant and doesn't run with the determination of Redman. He still is talented enough to make plays. I don't think he is a great back but I think RB is a position that should be found later in drafts.

Mendenhall's personality issues involve his twitter account. I think people are blowing that way out of proportion. I could care less what he thinks. Tomlin is the one with a problem with Mendy. If Tomlin doesn't have a problem with him and he comes back I don't know why anyone else would.

There are a TON of bust RBs out there- Mendenhall isn't one of them. There is no guarantee that a RB will perform. Drafting one better than Mendenhall will be difficult and the pick is better spent elsewhere.

If I was Mendenhall I would be pissed. He is making less than 1M per year, hasn't had a leadblocking fullback, and gets nothing but crap in the media.

The NFL is full of guys with assaults, DUIs and drug possessions and fans hate Mendy because of his tweets....
I agree with you - its a catch 22 for me, which is why I said I think its a 50/50 toss up getting rid of Mendy and putting hope on an new unknown. I absolutely would not go high on a RB this draft - and I admit, I don't know enough of what's out there over the next couple of drafts to even truly speak about considering it next season or the season after. This is a bigger problem than most think - we absolutely need someone who can step up quick and take the pressure off Ben - we MIGHT have 5-6 seasons left with him - my guess is 3 to 4. I could be wrong - but some things are looking disheartening and in my own selfish viewpoint - I think becoming a father might have taken some of his desire out of it - anyways, back to RB

I wouldn't have a problem with the tweets if he didn't find himself in the doghouse, and hesitant. Everyone is going to have a bad game. And yes, I agree - I think Arians really messed him up on top of the injury and utilized him horribly (basically hardly got to practice during Arians tenure - an effing shame to do that to a 1st round pick)

It was also unfortunate that Mendy's welcome to the NFL moment was such a negative one. It is one thing to get absolutely blown up on a play - it's another to get sidelined so quickly before even having a chance. I'd imagine it takes quite a bit of mental fortitude to fight back from something that viscous, and still have the confidence to go full speed into a bunch of guys that want to annihilate you. I wouldn't be shocked if we kept him, and who knows, maybe this was the final straw that broke Mendy's BS - maybe he like the receivers have been humbled and humiliated enough this season.

We'll see, but we need a constant staple at RB that will take the pressure off

Agree to disagree.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Steelers passing ranking:
2012: 14th in yds 8th in receiving TDs
2011: 10th 13th in TDs
2010: 14th 21th in TDs
2009: 9th 7th in TDs
2008: 17th 18th in TDs

Steelers running ranking:
2012: 26th in yds 27th in TDs
2011: 14th 15th in TDs
2010: 11th 8th in TDs
2009: 19th 20th in TDs
2008: 23th 11th in TDs

Steelers total pts scored
2012: 22th
2011: 21th
2010: 12th
2009: 12th
2008: 20th

Looks to me that regardless if Ben plays a full season or not, the Steelers' passing offense is still average.
Overall, passing or rushing doesn't matter, the Steelers haven't been able to put points on the board for many years.
You could be right, lets see if the running game is working than your QB does not have to pass as much, yet the offense scores more. A fing brilliant concept, why did we not think of it sooner. Oh snap, that what the Steelers did in the 70's I knew I learned that from somewhere.

Hey ya'll keep blaming Ben for the bad offense and keep giving Haley a free ride and the run game too, even the lack of TO created by the defense or the lack of an occasional game breaking ST play, I am sure you will be here next year when he plays good(NOT) yet stay away if he plays bad(once again NOT). I for one quit following game day threads because of the snide remarks even before games started, another sign that you will not even give him a chance. Hate is strong emotion continue to use the force.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote