Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #51
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,271
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 90
Thanked 415 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

I'm one of the few members that hope we sign Wallace for around the same amount Brown got but if we're not going to let him utilize his greatest strength which is the deep ball then we may as well drop him.
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #52
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,150
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,142
Thanked 9,142 Times in 3,919 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
They need to find a way to keep Wallace. As much as some of you hope, no scrub from the practice squad is going to replace him.
As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #53
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,014
Member Number: 15679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 162 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

If Wallace is done w the steelers Ill be sad to see him go. He was a awesome addition, came to us and started making plays in the midst of the Limas Sweed debacle (people acting like Wallace can't catch a pass should be forced to watch the game we played in Cincinnati in 09)
Sure he fell off a bit the last year.5, and he did some douchey stuff on the field (I remember him saying Fuck you to a broncos fan after rushing for a td in last years playoff game where he also had a big drop) but he made a lot more plays for us than he missed. For a 3rd pick, he's been awesome for us.

All that said, if he departs that'll knock us down another playmaker, with Miller already looking to be iffy for next season, losing Wallace could hurt more than we think. Remember what happened to SD and Rivers when they started losing playmakers and couldn't run the ball at all (like us). Not saying it'll definitely happen, but it's a concern
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegrimey For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-03-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #54
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter
 
pete74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,271
Member Number: 15921
Thanks: 90
Thanked 415 Times in 220 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.
Remember how excited everyone was for Lima Sweed? You can't say that any college reciever is better then Wallace because you have no clue how they will play in the NFL. There are many, many player every year who excel in college then are busts in the NFL
__________________
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #55
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.
I don't argue that there are capable deep threat WRs in the draft. The issue is that the Steelers need to spent much of their draft picks on defense this year. If they do spend some picks on offense (RB and deep threat WR), then that could leave the defense somewhat shorthanded. If the Steelers were willing to change their offensive philosophies from ball control to scoring then it might work out, but don't hold your breath that would happen.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #56
Steel Peon
Starter
 
Steel Peon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17520
Thanks: 353
Thanked 188 Times in 88 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I think it could be (a good fit) if I have a better mindset going into it, knowing my role exactly going into it before the season now having been in it a whole year, I think it could be a good fit, Wallace said. We just have to make some adjustments in this offense. When youve never been in it and you just come into it, its a little different. Hopefully, if Im here, Ill figure it out.
You wanna know what your fucking role is Mike, you tard? How about "Catch the fucking ball." Can you manage that you dumbshit?! You say the offense needs to make adjustments? What, like adjusting your head out of your ass? You were targeted plenty and you dropped the ball half the time, so STFU and catch the damn thing. And I already know it's too much to ask you to break a few tackles, or even make a tackle, so I won't even waste my time with all that shit. All of your excuses are bullshit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
"I just want to be in a good situation. Money is not really the problem.
Again with the bullshit Mike! You were offered a contract and you turned it down, so that's on you Mr. Primadonna. I'm going to have a fucking party the day you're gone.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel Peon For This Useful Post:
pittpete (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #57
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
As much as I love Wallace, there's better overall receivers in this draft than Wallace. Sure, speed kills, but he seemed to lose his hands over the course of this year and that can't happen. Guys like Patterson, Woods, Rogers and Patton are all better receivers than Wallace and they haven't played a down of NFL football. They're better route runners and have reliable hands but don't have the blinding speed that Wallace does which is made up for by the fact that all of them (save for Patterson) were doubled a lot of the time but found a way to get open.

We don't need Wallace as badly as we think we do, especially if he's going to continue to drop balls and under achieve.

Also, those commenting about Brown having a low TD count - he wasn't the redzone target. Heath and Wallace were the redzone priorities and, well, you can't cover Heath in the redzone so throwing to AB become unnecessary. He didn't have any long TDs because our offense is 'dink and dunk', which most of you are loving. So, you can't have it both ways. Either we open up our book and use our receivers effectively and for the reasons why they were drafted, or we continue to do this bullshit variation of a West Coast offense and waste the receiving talent we have.
The dink and dunk is to make up for the inability to run the ball behind a damaged OL. OL was running well until Adams and Colon got hurt.

Pittsburgh ran for 1537 yards that is terrible. They received 640 yards out of the backfield on 79 catches good for a 8.1 avg. That combines for 2177 yards so it is not as bad.

Redman had a lot of production catching the ball. Taking one of those "dink and dunk" passes 55 yards. Redman averaged more YPC than anyone on the team with 12.8!

So don't go crying and bitching about "dink and dunk" because Ben doesn't like it. Wahhhhhhhhh.

It was necessary.

Brown doesn't get TDs because he isn't looked to in the red zone.

Barry Sanders was the best RB ever. He rushed for 37 TDs in his last year of college. He had 4 1000 yard seasons with fewer than 10 tds. Why? Because Fontes was a dumbass. Barry didn't care as long as the offense was scoring he didn't need to for his own ego.

Not saying AB is BS but whose number gets called makes a big difference.

AB is a valuable part of the offense but is not a big red zone target. Doesn't mean he can't be a #1 WR.

Last edited by lloydwoodson; 01-04-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Forgot AB
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
lardlad (01-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #58
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,170
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 292
Thanked 579 Times in 321 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Last I checked we GAVE Brown 5 year 42.5 and he had 765 yards and 4 tds? Highest paid WR on the team.

Yet Wallaces sucks and should go? It will not get any better next year without another top WR. Ben wasnt exactly spot on with his passes, and Haleys play calling absolutely sucked right through the last snap. Perhaps everyone needs to go?
Brown is the highest paid WR on the team. But the Steelers are paying him No.2 WR money and he did play like a No.2. I don't think Wallace sucks. He would still be the best WR on the team if he returns. I just think that the Steelers couldn't afford him.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #59
DanRooney
Head Coach
 
DanRooney's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 1,799
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16248
Thanks: 2
Thanked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Going to be a mistake in the long run.

Hope we keep Plax though.
__________________
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #60
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,609
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 762
Thanked 484 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

The problem with keeping Plax is that we rarely dress a 4th WR and if they do he has to play Special Teams. Plax doesn't so he will be at a disadvantage. Brown, Sanders and Cotchery are a good not great starting 3. The problem is no true #1. Plax unfortunately doesn't solve that problem for us. No way would I pay Wallace what he was asking for. Unless something has changed, he is definitely gone.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts