Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509
Default Re: Tomlin: Stilted offense was Steelers’ ‘Achilles’ heel’

And this is exactly why I want will.i.am as our HC for awhile.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,883 Times in 3,832 Posts
My Mood: Amused

How does this turn into an "I think Mike Tomlin sucks" post?

People need to chill. I think Tomlin makes mistakes too. But I think he's been an excellent coach. If the current trend continues next year, he will be questioned. But let's not throw the guy under the bus just yet!
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,200 Posts

Steeler Nation Hysteria run amok.....

There is nothing inherently wrong with Tomlin. He's a dang fine coach. There is nothing wrong with our FO, we have a solid club that obviously is in tranission, and you sure as heck can't get down on a franchise that has provided the highest level of football for in the league over 4 decades.

Folks, for heavens sake, chill out!! Enjoy the offseason, and let's get 'em next year.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
SteelCity4Life (01-06-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree with Tomlin. Ben was an MVP candidate, gets hurt, comes back different. - end of story, end of season!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,883 Times in 6,113 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Harris: Steelers offense must excel in 2013

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) and the Steelers’ offense finished No. 14 in passing, No. 20 in total offense and No. 22 in scoring.

By John Harris
Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Let‘s assume, for argument‘s sake, that the Steelers‘ defense created seven to 10 more turnovers for their offense this year.

Why do we automatically assume things would be any different?

That players and coaches would be preparing for a playoff game instead of saying their goodbyes and preparing for the offseason?

After all, we‘re talking about a Steelers attack that finished No. 14 in passing offense, No. 20 in total offense and No. 22 in scoring offense under franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Isn‘t it enough that the Steelers‘ defense led the NFL in pass defense and total defense for the second consecutive season? Or that the defense also finished No. 2 in run defense and No. 7 in scoring defense in 2012?

I find it ironic that both of the Steelers voted to the Pro Bowl this year play offense and that none of their defensive teammates was invited to Hawaii. How is that possible?

How about the offensive players doing their jobs better and scoring more points instead of the defense always being expected to bail out the offense?

To get to the bottom of why the Steelers didn‘t qualify for the playoffs for the second time since 2009, it‘s important to dig deeper in search of the truth.

Did you know that the Steelers have never led the league in passing offense or total offense — or even finished among the top five — in any of Roethlisberger‘s nine seasons? Or that the Steelers defense didn‘t rank lower than No. 4 in total defense in any of their three most recent Super Bowl seasons (2005, 2008 and 2010)?

Even if you toss out this year‘s inconsistent offensive performance due to Roethlisberger‘s rib and shoulder injuries, Big Ben‘s body of work reveals similar inconsistencies.

In the three seasons that Roethlisberger led his team to the Super Bowl, the Steelers never finished higher than No. 14 in passing offense or total offense. In a league consisting of 32 teams, that‘s barely above average.

With all the talk about Roethlisberger‘s alleged rift with first-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley, the offense‘s numbers in his one season under Haley aren‘t that different from its average rankings in five seasons with Bruce Arians (14.4 passing defense, 14.4 total defense) and three seasons with Ken Whisenhunt (20.3 passing defense, 12.7 total defense).

Since 2004, the Steelers enjoyed their two highest rankings in net passing yards under Arians and Whisenhunt (2006 and ‘09). They didn‘t qualify for the playoffs in either season.

A year ago, the Steelers earned a playoff berth when the offense finished No. 10 in passing offense and No. 12 in total offense.

Forget the defense not generating enough turnovers for the offense in 2012. The unit deserves much better than that.

Roethlisberger has played on five teams that led the league in total defense. Imagine how many Super Bowls Tom Brady could win if he played with a dominant defense.

It‘s probably asking too much to expect the Steelers to lead the league in total defense in 2013 for a third consecutive season.

However, it isn‘t asking too much to expect the offense to play better.

http://triblive.com/sports/johnharri...#ixzz2GsCQkChV
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #16
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Mike Tomlin is a top 5 coach. Come at me bros.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,883 Times in 6,113 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers offense, defense went opposite directions

January 1, 2013:
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

To put the 2012 season in capsule form, the Steelers offense went one way, the defense went another and the results came in as an 8-8 standstill.

That's how Mike Tomlin explained it Monday in its simplest terms. He also noted for the second time in a week that a 3-5 record in their eight three-point games contributed.

"The good teams, the dominant teams, aren't necessarily dominant inside stadiums," Tomlin said. "But they are dominant largely in moments, and they do what is required to get out of stadiums with victories. We didn't do that consistently enough."

The new offense under Todd Haley "started off on the right foot in terms of dominating time of possession and converting third downs."

"We did what was required in those areas to possess the ball and win football games."

That occurred as the Steelers jumped to a 6-3 record and the offense was on pace to set team records, especially passing, and led the league in third-down conversions. Although Tomlin did not connect the dots, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger then was injured and missed 31/2 games. Little came together on offense after that.

"Obviously we didn't ascend in the second half of the season in those areas," Tomlin said. "It was an Achilles' heel for us."

The opposite happened on defense, which started slow and finished fast.

"Defensively, I thought we didn't start out very well, particularly in situational football and getting off on third downs, and the end of the half and end of the game type of things," Tomlin said.

"I thought we grew into those roles and improved over the course of the season. It was a really good defense in the latter portions of the season, particularly in those settings. I think the statistics show that. But again, not enough significant plays in those moments at the early portion of the season that produced wins, such as Tennessee and others."

RB situation hurt

Tomlin acknowledged that not having a No. 1, go-to running back did not help the offense.

"I'm sure that would be a fair assessment," he said. "But there are also several reasons why that didn't occur, and just general ineffectiveness being one of them."

Four of their five halfbacks were injured at different points in the season to where three of them started and three shared the duties. Their former lead back, Rashard Mendenhall, battled through ACL and achilles injuries and was suspended for one game by Tomlin. He had only 51 carries for 182 yards and no touchdowns.

Jonathan Dwyer led the team with 623 yards, the lowest rushing total to lead them since Merrill Hoge had 610 in 1991.

LeBeau to return

While Tomlin did not state it, Dick LeBeau will return as defensive coordinator. Haley likely will be back as offensive coordinator, although Tomlin offered him a much cooler assessment.

"I think everybody is aware that I'm happy with the work of Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "He's a special guy, a special man and a special coach."

And Haley's performance?

"It was about 8-8, like all of us. I'm a black-and-white kind of a guy. He was an 8-8 coordinator. I was an 8-8 head coach. I don't think that's what either of us desire to be."

But he did add that "We're going to proceed with that understanding and with a mentality toward being better and maximizing our talents here to the best of our capabilities."

Tomlin also acknowledged that there were the expected growing pains in teaching and learning a new offense.

"Certainly, but not that it is unexpected and not that it is an excuse, much like the injuries. I acknowledge that growing pains are a part of transition but I didn't believe that it would be significant enough to prevent us from winning and I still don't. It's not an excuse, much like the injuries."

Series of injuries

The Steelers season was a series of one injury after another. Starters lost 78 games to injuries, and four more left the game Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Tomlin at least had good news on two of them. Brett Keisel and Keenan Lewis each have damage to medial collateral ligaments, but neither will need surgery.

He confirmed that Kelvin Beachum sustained a concussion in the game. David DeCastro had a severe stinger. Cameron Heyward "probably" has a rib fracture.

Ryan Clark spent Sunday night in the hospital as a precautionary measure with a severe left thigh contusion. He was released Monday morning and is fine.

Quick hits

• Tomlin said he has no timetable in hiring a line coach to replace Sean Kugler, who became head coach at UTEP. He also said he will assess whether to hire another special teams coach to replace fired Al Everest or stick with one.

• The Steelers will draft 17th in the first round and swap places with Dallas every subsequent round. Both finished 8-8 but the Steelers get the first-round edge on the Cowboys based on their opponents' weaker won-lost percentage (.465).

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2H7hW1w9t
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,052 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Mike Tomlin is a top 5 coach. Come at me bros.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Anything to not talk about the elephant in the room, huh? As much as the offense sputtered and clunked all year, at least it ran well at times, which is something I can't say about our special teams, which looked DOA. Don't try to dodge around the subject Mike, we were total buffoons on STs, and I would be highly surprised if any other team's was worse. You're going to have a potent offense next year Mike, so you'd better make sure the STs doesn't shit the bed any worse or you're not going to hear the end of it.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
steelersforever58
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24184

"Roethlisberger has played on five teams that led the league in total defense. Imagine how many Super Bowls Tom Brady could win if he played with a dominant defense."

Maybe a better question would be how many Super Bowls would Brady have won playing in this same system with this offensive line? It's not as if the patriots defenses were second rate. I am pretty sure they were top 10 for the three super bowl victory years.
steelersforever58 is offline   Reply With Quote