Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #31
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,818 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: 364/575, 4,179 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT

I also wanted to add that the WR screens are an extention of the running game. What do you need to have these work effectively on a consistent basis. Physical, big wide receivers that can block. Does that sound like our WR corp in any way? They are not played in a way that maximizes their strengths.

And for the record, if Mike Wallace had Hines Ward's heart, he could be a terrific WR. If there is a defender on him with tight coverage, he almost never catches the ball. Even if the DB isn't touching him. He also has horrible ball skills. How many times is he open with the ball in the air, but doesn't adjust to the ball as it falls harmlessly to the ground, Either that or he throws his hands in the air looking for a pass interference call instead of fighting to make the catch. To me it's a complete lack of heart.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Nice year!!!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
If I could Thank this twice, I would. This might be long, but it is my end of the year rant, if you will.

The issue with the Steelers going into next season is they are unlikely to find a better QB. Pure and simple. So, unless we got lucky getting a rookie QB who turns into Russell Wilson in training camp, Ben is going to be under center next year. Ben is what he is and he doesn't have any goal of adjusting or changing or anything to get better. He wants to be the same and do the same crap every year, every game.

So, with that, expect the typical 10-10 games to all the teams through out the year going into the last 5 min of a game, whether it being the Raiders or Ravens and the Steelers will hope for one little play here or there to determine the W/L.

Ben is too busy bitching and whining about play calls and coaches, all the while I watched one of the best called games with a 38 year old QB in Charlie Batch in the last Ravens game.

Blaming play calling and ASSISTANT coaches for your teams mishaps is a loser excuse, loser mentality and therefore you LOSE in the end when it matters. All the slaps in this forum killed Bruce Arians the last few years about his play calling, attitude, whatever, however, he is coach of the year with a rookie QB and brand new players to an Indy team that completely rebuilt their team in 6 months, and had to deal with their head coach almost dying from cancer.

I thought Devin Hester said it best today, when he found out Lovie Smith got fired, he called out the "Fake fans are happy now", and this from a 10-6 team. The point is, fans have selfish reasons to hate instead of paying attention and using common sense. If Arians was the issue all these years, why did Ben do the same (bleep) crap this year with Todd Haley? Why is Arians successful with a 5 month old QB and not a SB winning QB? Sometimes, you need to wake up and stop playing the high school girl trying to rationalize why another girl is a bitch when she isn't. The root of the problem is usually who you brain tells you but you ignore it to justify some personal likely to the other.

I will be honest, I really have never liked Big Ben, deep down. I am naturally observant to certain personalities. You can learn a lot about someone on how they speak. And it has nothing to do with being mean to the media, or being coy or being boystrous. He has a prissy, cliche, doucheness about him. Tomlin is another guy who's interview make me run to the bathroom, except he does it in a different way. He uses big words with all these one liners. Problem with that is, when you are trying to sound like something that you aren't, it makes you look stupid. At least with Belichick, that is who he is, he is mono-toned, I ain't telling you jack crap and that's the way it is whether he is sleeping, awake or whatever.

My hope for next year, is the Steelers get a healthy back up QB, preferably someone who doesnt shatter after 2 quarters who can come in and win 3 or 4 games during the year. Because Ben is just going to get worse physically the more and more he allows himself to get hit. Shit, even to the pathetic Cleveland team, he still sat back there for 45 min and took sacks.

We will see with Tomlin, where he needs to improve. Little more game planning and less standard talk. We get it, everyone is a pro, no need to through zingers every 2 min in an interview.

My other hope is getting rid of two cancers off the team. And replace them with leaders. As much as it may pain most of you, Ben has NEVER been the leader of the Steelers, ever. The only leaders this team has had are all retired, Farrior, Bettis and Hines. This team does not have that leader right now. We have bitches like Wallace and mental migits likes Mendenhall who speak for the Steelers. Not a good combo. Call me superstitious, call me religious, but I may not know 100% if there is a God, but i damn well believe 100% that there are jinxed people out there. Is it any coincidence that when Wallace started playing like a dickweed, the cancer spread to Brown, Sanders, all these guys who are so reliable. Mendy and his fumbling and bullshit, hit the other RBs at the worst times.

Steelers do not have to fix much, but they need to make the right tweaks and hopefully get an instant game changer with pick 17.
Sounds like you visited the Voo Doo lady.

C'mon man.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #34
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049

Big Ben is not this teams problem. Ya, he played poorly down the stretch. It happens. I think he will win at least one more Super Bowl as the QB of the Steelers.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
[video]]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-r2HASo5M[/video]
Yes, stats are for losers and cheating is for winners
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #36
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
Please name the great offensive linemen in front of Ben. Please list the dominant wide receivers he has had to throw to. Please list the dominant runners he has had to carry things for this team. If you give me an answer to any of these questions, you are lying through your teeth.
Look at the 2010 roster

RB Mendenhall, Redman, MeMo, Dwyer

WR Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Battle

TE Miller, Spaeth

That receiving corps is as good as any quarterback needs. Ward, Miller and Brown have all been Probowlers. There is a ton of talent on the team. Wallace was/is a beast and he is a future Probowler with the Steelers or another team. Stop tearing at the Steelers to build Ben up. And let's not forget past Steelers like Holmes, Parker and Bettis.

This offense was built to be a passing offense. The problem is even with Ben throwing 500 times a year they can't break 10th.

The Rooneys are putting the team back on track by trying to get the god damn running game back. The personnel decisions were hijacked to fulfill Arians and Tomlins braindead idea of trying to make Roethlisberger the focal point of the offense/team.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It's hard to say whether Ben should be the focal point of the offense or if it should be getting the running game back. In 2005 Ben had a great running game behind him, so he had to do less, while the running game led the offense. He didn't do as much, but he looked pretty damn good doing what he did. However, in 2008 it was Ben TIME AND TIME AGAIN making a play in the 4th quarter to win the game. He's proven at times that he is Mr. Clutch and that he is all this offense needs. The clutch moments are too many to be mentioned, and the 2009 game where Ben completely disected the Packers defense for over 500 yards comes to mind when the question of "can he lead the team like Brady/Manning" is asked. Yet lately he is looking like he can't do it when it matters most, and has had a terrible offense for 2 years in a row.

Ben may win as much as the elite QB's, but the elite QB's never have 20th ranked offense's, especially not with the WR/TE options we have. This question always comes up and I've always been on the side arguing that Ben is as great as ANY other QB, but I think after these last two years, it's more of a fair assessment to say that he is capable of playing as great OR GREATER then any other QB at times, yet he is not elite on a regular basis.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
It's hard to say whether Ben should be the focal point of the offense or if it should be getting the running game back. In 2005 Ben had a great running game behind him, so he had to do less. He looked pretty damn good doing it. However, in 2008 it was Ben TIME AND TIME AGAIN making a play in the 4th quarter to win the game. He's proven at times that he is Mr. Clutch and all this team needs. The clutch moments are too many to be mentioned, and the 2009 game where Ben completely disected the Packers defense for over 500 yards comes to mind when the question of "can he lead the team" is asked. Yet lately he is looking like he can't do it when it matters most, and has had a terrible offense for 2 years in a row.

Ben may win as much as the elite QB's, but the elite QB's never have 20th ranked offense's, especially not with the WR/TE options we have. This question always comes up and I've always been on the side arguing that Ben is as great as ANY other QB, but I think after these last two years, it's more of a fair assessment to say that he is capable of playing as great OR GREATER then any other QB at times, yet he is not elite on a regular basis.
Like I keep saying - Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers aren't dumbed down by teams that want to play ball-control offenses. Ben is. It's not even so much about run/pass ratio. Those teams try to score fast, the Steelers try to sit on it and hope the defense keeps them in it long enough for Ben to bail everyone out in the end.

This is a huge reason why the Steelers offense is not scoring as many points as many of you want them to be, yet you can't seem to wrap it around your heads. If you believe ball-control offense is the way to go then I guess I won't change your minds - just don't bitch when the offense doesn't put up many points, or if Ben can't bail the Steelers out from their stubbornness every game.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251

doesn't matter .......we are home watching the playoffs
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #40
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Like I keep saying - Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers aren't dumbed down by teams that want to play ball-control offenses. Ben is. It's not even so much about run/pass ratio. Those teams try to score fast, the Steelers try to sit on it and hope the defense keeps them in it long enough for Ben to bail everyone out in the end.

This is a huge reason why the Steelers offense is not scoring as many points as many of you want them to be, yet you can't seem to wrap it around your heads. If you believe ball-control offense is the way to go then I guess I won't change your minds - just don't bitch when the offense doesn't put up many points, or if Ben can't bail the Steelers out from their stubbornness every game.
I don't understand what your saying? It's not like the Steelers are not trying to score and get first downs. They are, there just not executing well. Like I said earlier, New England runs the ball more then us and Brady is the master of the dink and dunk offense. We're trying to do the same thing but our offense can't get it done. It's not like Tomlin dosnt want to score because he does.