Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

Next thing they'll be sayin Whiz back to Pitt.
Whats next

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

this sucks, i thought the offense was on the right track until ben got hurt, i felt that another offseason working with the same system would have gotten the O to click. goddamn cardinals
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
lardlad (01-03-2013), stb_steeler (01-03-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-06-2013), steve314 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I want Haley to stay.... I've seen Haley run offenses... he did it for a very untalented KC team and out coached a vastly more talented Mike Tomlin led steeler team. Even this season when our offense was healthy we looked pretty good. It wasnt' until the injuries and turnovers started that we could no longer score points. Facts are facts...when Ben returned from injury our offense imploded. We looked significantly better with Batch at QB...then with Ben the last few weeks.

I also think the plan going into the season was for us to run the ball. That was Mike Tomlin's plan as much as it was Haley's plan. When the running game failed...the offense struggled...then ultimately imploded when Ben imploded. The fumbling didn't help matters. So it would be really premature to say Haley isn't a capable coach.

Hopefully next season Ben gets behind Haley's system and our O-line stays healthy..... If those two things happen I see no reason why we don't go deep in the playoffs. If we can run the ball... those deep passing plays that Ben so badly wants to run will open up. It takes time to build the efficient style offense that Haley wants to bring. Ben fought it from the start... maybe this off season he'll see the light?
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (01-03-2013), EbonySteel86 (01-03-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-06-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

How could it be worse what Haley had done. Half of the passing game were screens last year. Are you kidding me. We don't need Wallace for that piece of ****. Not vertical at all no streaks and long routes with Wallace. Totally unwilling to use no huddle. Our running game was creepy the most of the time and lets be honest we are 8-8 football team with the best statistical defense, a great quaterback and before the year in discussion for having the best Wide Receiving Core of the league. And I am sure only because of Ben this offense looked not that bad that it is with Haley. Some may say Roethlisberger has most of the fault with what happend the last weeks. And in some way he had but the play calling was crap all year just at the end Roethlisberger hadn't enough in the tank to over come it.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I want Haley to stay.... I've seen Haley run offenses... he did it for a very untalented KC team and out coached a vastly more talented Mike Tomlin led steeler team. Even this season when our offense was healthy we looked pretty good. It wasnt' until the injuries and turnovers started that we could no longer score points. Facts are facts...when Ben returned from injury our offense imploded. We looked significantly better with Batch at QB...then with Ben the last few weeks.

I also think the plan going into the season was for us to run the ball. That was Mike Tomlin's plan as much as it was Haley's plan. When the running game failed...the offense struggled...then ultimately imploded when Ben imploded. The fumbling didn't help matters. So it would be really premature to say Haley isn't a capable coach.

Hopefully next season Ben gets behind Haley's system and our O-line stays healthy..... If those two things happen I see no reason why we don't go deep in the playoffs. If we can run the ball... those deep passing plays that Ben so badly wants to run will open up. It takes time to build the efficient style offense that Haley wants to bring. Ben fought it from the start... maybe this off season he'll see the light?
Or maybe they should realize they aren't a team that can pound the ball 40 times a game anymore. Maybe Ben never bought into the system because he was handcuffed until 3rd and long and until the Steelers needed him to bail them out from their own stupidity in the last 2 minutes. Think Brady or Manning would like that if their teams played that same kind of outdated style?

This offense was Marty ball. It was designed to play close to the vest and hope the defense kept the team in it long enough for Ben to pull a miracle out of his ass in the end.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,793 Posts

Send Haley get Norv.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Unless the Steelers are sure that they can get Norv Turner, I hope Haley stays. He's a good OC.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

8-8

No playoffs

One of the worst-ranked offenses in the league

Yeah, no thanks
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,845 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Ben was using 10 different targets before he went down - not Marty ball - the reference doesn't apply to the scheme.

Just because you saw a couple games of it used when Ben was out and a few series upon his return doesn't make it an absolute label.

A lot of people would say Cowher's team played this Marty ball, with the only difference being that in the 90s, they weren't afraid to take chances, go down field, and use some trickery in critical situations

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,845 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
8-8

No playoffs

One of the worst-ranked offenses in the league

Yeah, no thanks
The defense is responsible for a couple losses
Turnovers are responsible for a couple losses
Injuries are responsible for a drop off in talent, mistakes, and probably some losses.

I'd say lack of execution played a big part as well. You can't lay an entire record on 1 guy. 6-3 was looking pretty good to a lot of people. Separate the OC hate with the reality of the situation. Put that situation on any team, and you might get one winning season in spite of it - this record is a result of poor execution and injuries. The standard is the standard so long as you aren't decimated.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (01-03-2013), lardlad (01-03-2013), lloydwoodson (01-03-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-06-2013), steve314 (01-05-2013), teegre (01-03-2013), WVABE (01-03-2013)