Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

Folks complain that Haley did not go deep enough with Wallace this season. What happened when they did send Wallace some long ones? They bounced right off his hands or he watched the defender comeback for the pass he was supposed to catch.

Last offseason, the same people who want Haley's head, were the ones who were saying that we need to run the ball more to take some pressure off of Ben. They were the same people who were always saying things like : "Even if the running game is not workng at first-- you have to be patient and keep at it". They were the same people who used to get furious at Arians empty-set offenses that did not even feature the threat of a possible running play.

Folks complained that Haley did not let Ben run the no-huddle enough. What happened when they did? Lots of pick-6's as far as I can see.

Folks complain that Haley kept the "reigns" on Ben too much this season. Well, we were 6-3, Ben was having a career season, the offense was racking up ridiculous ToP and keeping our aging defense fresh (a defense that I noticed is not getting any of the blame of this season), and Ben was actually being mentioned in MVP conversations.

Fast forward a month to December. They give the keys to the offense to Ben. He reverts back to his "hold the ball forever looking for an option downfield that isn't there" behind a ramshackle offensive line. The team goes 1-5, we watch in horror as Wallace puts deep pass after deep pass on the ground. The run game struggles behind an Oline that is 40% rookie.

Finally, the fans blame the OC and want him out of town after one season.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (01-03-2013), lloydwoodson (01-03-2013), Men of Steel (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #52
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Listening to "The Fan" yesterday it was rumored that the Chargers are interested in Arians because of the great job he did with the Colts. If Rivers and Arians don't hit it off, the speculation was that Ben wouldn't re-sign here and team up with Arians again in San Diego. Of course this is all speculation right now.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #53
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Wasn't Chan Gailey our OC back in 95 when O'Donnell forgot how to play in the SB - He's available and if I recall did a good job adapting to the players he had with Thigpen and Morris. I don't like the idea of a pass happy attach, but with our WR team - it might work. He's available.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #54
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
Wasn't Chan Gailey our OC back in 95 when O'Donnell forgot how to play in the SB - He's available and if I recall did a good job adapting to the players he had with Thigpen and Morris. I don't like the idea of a pass happy attach, but with our WR team - it might work. He's available.
"Toss out Todd Haley and take a chance with Chan Gailey"
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
"Toss out Todd Haley and take a chance with Chan Gailey"
How long has Chan Gailey been away from football? Is Haley THAT bad?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,377 Times in 2,077 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
It is WAYYYYYYYYY too early to give up on Todd Haley' system.

For starters, even though it suffered from the same broken-azz Oline and lack of running game as under Arians' scheme-- it DID score more points than any of Arian's offenses I believe.

Also, until the injury bug rolled around, until Ben got injured in what appeared to me to be a freak injury, and until we lost our entire secondary-- we were starting to roll at 6-3, Ben was having a career season, and the offense was starting to look like something respectable.

Then, Ben has a baby, gets hurt, and never returns to form. All 4 CBs get hurt. We lose 3 of 5 starters on the Oline. The RBs forget how to hold the ball--- and it is time to fire Haley?

Who, pray tell, are we going to replace him with?

EVERYBODY is looking to send Norv Turner an offer. Methinks the Jets will probably make another dumb move and break the bank to get Norv-- they are that desperate.
I agree - someone will break the bank, or, a combination of starting over and being 2nd place in the money race by a thin margin (think Dallas - I think Romo is done there)

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #57
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
Listening to "The Fan" yesterday it was rumored that the Chargers are interested in Arians because of the great job he did with the Colts. If Rivers and Arians don't hit it off, the speculation was that Ben wouldn't re-sign here and team up with Arians again in San Diego. Of course this is all speculation right now.
lol, if that were true - Ben would be an absolute fool - talk about taking a HUGE step back just to "have his way" Sounds like Joe Namath to the Rams to me LOLOLOLOLOLOL

My first gut is that isn't true.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #58
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,957 Times in 4,550 Posts

You guys realize that Roethlisberger didn't like Whisenhunt at all, right? They clashed constantly and if I'm being honest, I don't want him back in here. I'll take Ben over Whiz every single time because, well, one of them if a franchise quarterback and the heart of our offense and the other is a failed head coach experiment that has a chip on his shoulder.

I'd bring in Norv Turner. He's a more laid-back, less in-your-face kind of coordinator and knows how to use offensive talent. First things first, though. We need a legitimate WR to play with Manny and AB and, more importantly, a fucking Running Back that's worth something. It doesn't matter who our OC is if we can't grab a legitimate RB and reestablish our ground game. It's just as important for teams to respect the ground game so we can work off play-action and go down the field. Until we get a legitimate RB, who our coordinator happens to be is completely irrelevant.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #59
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

I'm okay with Haley staying. I think I read that every year we've had a new OC the team has missed the playoffs but then bounced back the next year. Anyhow, if Haley does in fact go. I'd prefer Turner over Whisenhunt even though Ben is probably more familiar with Whisenhunt's system. It would be interesting if that did in fact happen considering that Haley was Whiz's OC in AZ and he'd replace Haley as OC here. Just interesting symetry. Thought for sure that AZ would hire Reid but I hear KC did.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #60
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
I'm okay with Haley staying. I think I read that every year we've had a new OC the team has missed the playoffs but then bounced back the next year. Anyhow, if Haley does in fact go. I'd prefer Turner over Whisenhunt even though Ben is probably more familiar with Whisenhunt's system. It would be interesting if that did in fact happen considering that Haley was Whiz's OC in AZ and he'd replace Haley as OC here. Just interesting symetry. Thought for sure that AZ would hire Reid but I hear KC did.
If I were a potential OC candidate for the Steelers, I would demand they get a running back by 2nd round or get a free-agent name.

I'm not saying that is what the Steelers should do - but I'm not sure I'd like walking into the RB mess we currently have.

How about package deal to Vikings or Seahawks. Lynch or Peterson for Wallace, Mendy, and hand pick a defender not named Lewis and 5th and 7th round pick There, I said it. I want the RB sitch to be fixed - THAT MUCH.

No "Marty Ball" No "Cowher Ball" - a leader and mainstay at RB. That's all I want

Look into my eyes
SF Haters