Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #111
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I can't see why the Cheifs are interviewing Haley when they want Reid as there coach unless Haley would be there OC
Chiefs? Chiefs aren't interviewing Haley. He's already been fired by them lol. The Cardinals are interviewing Haley.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #112
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Ben refusing to get along with Haley started before the season did.

Many of you claimed that everyone was making a big deal out of Ben and Haley not having met. It is obvious Ben does not like Haley. He has criticized his offense several times to the media. I do not know how Haley feels about Ben because he has acted like a grown man and kept his opinions to himself.

Haley did not call the plays for the Cardinals until late in the 2007 season.

Haley called all the plays for the 2008 season. The Cardinals ended the season 3rd in scoring and 4th in yards.

2009 Haley becomes HC of the chiefs. Cardinals offense drops to 11th in scoring and 14th in yards with the same personnel.

2009 Chiefs show no improvement from the year before finishing 25th in offense.

2010 Chiefs show significant improvement finishing 14th in points and 12 in yards with Matt Cassel at Qb!!! 10-6 record and make the playoffs!!! With Matt Cassel!!!

Matt Cassel!!!!

Matt Cassel had a career year throwing 27 tds against 7 ints.

His previous best was in NE in 2008 throwing 21 tds and 11 ints. NE has the best coaching staff in the league I thought?

Cassel had a better year with Haley in KC in 2010 than he did in 2008 with the receivers Tom Brady beat records with throwing for 50 tds!!! How many tds would he have had if he didn't throw 11 tds to Randy Moss!!!

Cassel had a better year with the now 2-14 KC team (which was also 2-14 while Cassel was throwing for 21 tds with the best offensive team ever) than the 16-0 NE team.

2011 Crennel replaces Haley midway through the season one year removed from the playoffs winning 2 of their final 3 games to finish 7-9.

2012 One year removed from Haley the Chiefs finish 2-14 with the same personnel.

AND YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE THAT HALEY IS THE PROBLEM?
Well, if you're going to use stats - Ben had 26 TDs and 8 INTs in 13 games. 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. Using stats as a basis, like you are, means Ben wasn't the problem.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #113
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
lloydwoodson, that is a pretty good argument and thanks for bringing up the numbers.

So what do you believe is the solution here? That Ben needs to shut up and actually follow Haley's playbook?

You may have expounded on this elsewhere, but I am coming late to this discussion.
I think Haley's playbook is perfectly fine. It was good enough to produce a historic 3 1000 yard receivers with the Cards (which wasn't duplicated after he left).

Haley would still be the HC of the Chiefs if Matt Cassel had not self-destructed in the 2010 playoffs and never recovered. Crennel got fired one year after he did. Cassel is still there.

The Steelers already have fixed the biggest problem with the Steelers when they drafted Mike Adams and David DeCastro last year. After 5 years of neglecting the OL they finally drafted one. When those guys play to their potential there will be a solid running game and a better and balanced offense.

The Steelers need to do what they always do and not freak out after one bad season like all the bad teams do. Keep Wallace for A Brown money or let him walk. Keep Mendenhall. Run the ball behind a young offensive line that is full of high draft picks and put Ben in 3rd and shorts.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #114
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Well, if you're going to use stats - Ben had 26 TDs and 8 INTs in 13 games. 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. Using stats as a basis, like you are, means Ben wasn't the problem.
Wow. I just showed how even Matt Cassel had success under Haley. More than he had running the Pats record setting offense of 2007. Cassel had more success under Haley than under Belichek.

"Well, if you're going to use stats - Matt Cassel had 27 TDs and 7 INTs. 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. Using stats as a basis, like you are, means Matt Cassel wasn't the problem."

^^^ I changed your comment editing Ben's name and stats for Matt Cassel and his stats.

Would you stand before God and say that Matt Cassel is not the problem in Kansas City?

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-03-2013), fer522 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #115
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Wow. I just showed how even Matt Cassel had success under Haley. More than he had running the Pats record setting offense of 2007. Cassel had more success under Haley than under Belichek.

"Well, if you're going to use stats - Matt Cassel had 27 TDs and 7 INTs. 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. Using stats as a basis, like you are, means Matt Cassel wasn't the problem."

^^^ I changed your comment editing Ben's name and stats for Matt Cassel and his stats.

Would you stand before God and say that Matt Cassel is not the problem in Kansas City?
I would stand before God and say that those stats really don't tell you the entire story. I would also tell him much of the early season success was because of Ben's incredible third down conversion rate and not Haley's play calling. I would also tell him that Haley wasn't bossed around by those teams' ownerships as to what kind of offense he could run. I would tell him that both Whiz and Arians did better in their first years as OCs. I would also tell him that there are no excuses for Haley just as there were no excuses for Arians (who apparently still did better than Haley when shit happened).
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #116
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,985 Times in 897 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:

I know what someone is gonna say but but but they wan Ben to win the games in the last 2 min. LMFAO

Somebody is getting burn bad!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #117
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
I know what someone is gonna say but but but they wan Ben to win the games in the last 2 min. LMFAO

Somebody is getting burn bad!!
And some people can't read, or spell.

I mean, he says Ben stinks, but he also points to Ben's great stats. Which is it? And apparently since Ben isn't the problem this year, and Matt Cassel wasn't the problem for the Chiefs during his 27 TD season, that points to Haley - using his logic of course.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #118
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
I would stand before God and say that those stats really don't tell you the entire story. I would also tell him much of the early season success was because of Ben's incredible third down conversion rate and not Haley's play calling. I would also tell him that Haley wasn't bossed around by those teams' ownerships as to what kind of offense he could run. I would tell him that both Whiz and Arians did better in their first years as OCs. I would also tell him that there are no excuses for Haley just as there were no excuses for Arians (who apparently still did better than Haley when shit happened).
Did Ben call the plays on 3rd down and Haley call them on 1st and 2nd? Am I missing something?

Haley WAS bossed around as to what offense he could run by the HEAD COACH who controls those sort of things. Haley did not earn the privilege to call plays until late in his first year in Arizona. Haley WAS bossed around by Tomlin. TOP being the be-all and end-all comes from Tomlin. Period.

Haley did better this year than Arians did last year in scoring points and red zone %. That is what he was brought in to do. I could care less about Arians amazing 2007 season where Ben put up huge numbers in the regular season and got bounced out of the playoffs on the strength of 42 throws and a pick 6.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #119
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
who do we replace him with?
I knew all the talk was going to be about Whisenhunt, but I'd just as soon stay with Haley.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #120
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,985 Times in 897 Posts
My Mood: Cool

I don't know what the big deal is Ben sucked ass at the end of the year and the play calling may be wasn't as good as it was before Ben got hurt but that doesn't mean that we need to fire the OC or trade Ben hell even Arians got 5 years and he didn't have to changs shit
lloydwoodson (01-03-2013)