Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Wallace for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
Wallace has always been ben's first read, maybe that has a lot to do with how many td's brown gets
You cannot score TDs as a WR if the QB always throws it at #17.

How many times did BB target Antonio Brown in the redzone this year, as opposed to Mike the Drops Wallace?

This is the main problem with Mike Wallace-- he takes touches away from the other guys like Heath or Brown, and they end up being wasted downs because he always drops it or watches while teh defender intercepts it. Wallace is a frigging trojan horse for our offense....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-06-2013), WVABE (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598

The best fit for Mike Wallace would be Indianapolis, with Bruce Arians. He fits better there than he does with the Steelers.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoryFormation For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-06-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
You cannot score TDs as a WR if the QB always throws it at #17.

How many times did BB target Antonio Brown in the redzone this year, as opposed to Mike the Drops Wallace?

This is the main problem with Mike Wallace-- he takes touches away from the other guys like Heath or Brown, and they end up being wasted downs because he always drops it or watches while teh defender intercepts it. Wallace is a frigging trojan horse for our offense....
Yea but wallace does score and so does Miller. I'm sure if brown got better separation in the red zone he would have more touchdowns.
Everyone tears on Wallace for his drops and I agree he had a bad year but he still led the team in touchdowns and yards even in a bad year. Brown cost us a lot this year with his mess ups but people seem to not want to discuss that since he just signed a contract. He put us out of the Chargers game when he decided to stare at the ball instead of falling on it in the end zone. His late game fumble in Oakland let Oakland tie the game and win in OT. His late game fumble against Dallas kept them in the game and eventually helped them beat us.
All I'm saying is all our WRs sucked. Everyone played poorly. They all need to do some serious work all off season
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The Patriots don't really go deep a lot either, do they?
No, but that's because we lack a receiver with the speed to break open down the field.

There's no way the Patriots would trade Welker for Wallace.
The Patriots will sign Welker after this season is over. We're still paying Ocho Stinko this season and that money will be Welker's starting next year.

We'll also want to go after Wallace. Pats fans have been talking about it since last season. He would be a great replacement for Branch. It would be Wallace, Lloyd, Welker, Woodhead, Edelman, Gronk, Hernandez, Brady, Ridley, etc. Dangerous.

I'm just not sure we'll be able to afford him. Our cap situation right now is favorable but we'll probably sign Talib to a few years because he's transformed our secondary.

We could -and probably will- offer Wallace 4 to 4 and a half million a year to play for the Patriots for 2 seasons. That, IIRC, is what we'll have to play with in FA after resigning a name or two on our offensive line and shoring up Talib and Welker.

He'll get more elsewhere, but if he wants a Superbowl ring and big money contracts in 2 years, he'll take something like that
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,653 Posts

there will be no trades or franchise tags..wallace will be an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #36
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
No, but that's because we lack a receiver with the speed to break open down the field.

There's no way the Patriots would trade Welker for Wallace.
The Patriots will sign Welker after this season is over. We're still paying Ocho Stinko this season and that money will be Welker's starting next year.

We'll also want to go after Wallace. Pats fans have been talking about it since last season. He would be a great replacement for Branch. It would be Wallace, Lloyd, Welker, Woodhead, Edelman, Gronk, Hernandez, Brady, Ridley, etc. Dangerous.

I'm just not sure we'll be able to afford him. Our cap situation right now is favorable but we'll probably sign Talib to a few years because he's transformed our secondary.

We could -and probably will- offer Wallace 4 to 4 and a half million a year to play for the Patriots for 2 seasons. That, IIRC, is what we'll have to play with in FA after resigning a name or two on our offensive line and shoring up Talib and Welker.

He'll get more elsewhere, but if he wants a Superbowl ring and big money contracts in 2 years, he'll take something like that
You won't get Wallace for $4M - $4.5M/year, even if Gisele Bundchen promises to blow him after each practice session and each game. Let's be serious.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

If he would sign for under 8 million a season he will be a Steeler next season
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Yea but wallace does score and so does Miller. I'm sure if brown got better separation in the red zone he would have more touchdowns.
Everyone tears on Wallace for his drops and I agree he had a bad year but he still led the team in touchdowns and yards even in a bad year. Brown cost us a lot this year with his mess ups but people seem to not want to discuss that since he just signed a contract. He put us out of the Chargers game when he decided to stare at the ball instead of falling on it in the end zone. His late game fumble in Oakland let Oakland tie the game and win in OT. His late game fumble against Dallas kept them in the game and eventually helped them beat us.
All I'm saying is all our WRs sucked. Everyone played poorly. They all need to do some serious work all off season
Wallace didn't have a bad year, the entire Steeler offense did. The WRs were not the cause of it either, the predictable play calling had a major part in it. All one has to do is look at last year's stats and compare them to this year. The truth can be found there, not in some of the bullshit spewed by propaganda reported by some on this board.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #39
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:

Everyone tears on Wallace for his drops and I agree he had a bad year but he still led the team in touchdowns and yards even in a bad year.
Very true. Brown definitely had an off year, if his first two were any indication of his potential. He got his check and got comfortable. He is fast, but not particularly tall or much of a red zone threat.

But most of Wallace's TDs were off of 45 yard bombers. He doesn't make catches in traffic or in a crowded endzone.

I do like a lot of aspects of Wallace's play, and I think we are a better offense with him. I guess I just don't like the assumption that someone else could not have scored those TDs as well, while also being able to deliver more well-rounded WR play on the field. Our offense would be more balanced without him.

Quote:
For sure.

I am pretty confident the Steelers will address their problems. Besides the Oline, I think Tomlin has shown a lot of adaptability and ability to overcome obstacles since coming on board.

They do have to work this offseason.

Despite my argument with Hipchest, I still think they need to seriously address the conditioning program they have in place now.

But he did bring up a good point.

The new rules and shortened OTA's really do hurt the more physical teams. The Ravens had a similar rash of crippling injuries, as did the Giants (if not mistaken) and some other teams. The Ravens still finished ahead partially because they were not fielding an overhauled offensive scheme and did not have as many offensive struggles early on.

If true, then teams like the Steelers not only need to address their conditioning programs, but also their drafting and personnel strategy. Less superstars, but deeper rosters or something.

That goofball commissioner is changing the game too rapidly. The Steelers need to learn to stay one step ahead of his tinkering. He wants to get rid of kickoffs now, which hilariously, would benefit our team because they were that rotten on special teams. It's one less opportunity to get penalized.