Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #51
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: 364/575, 4,179 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
The difference is they use a lot of no huddle and do not dumb-down their QB in the process. They aren't worried about tradition, they score. Anyone who compares the Haley/Artie offense to New England's offense is delusional.
So the Steelers 44 pass to 17 run play choice was traditional vs both the Chargers and Cowboys to lose the season?

I have shown that the Steelers pass more than GB, NE, and DEN on a percentage basis.

I have shown that Roethlisberger throws the same number of times as Peyton Manning.

I have shown that the Patriots ran the ball more than any team other than the Seahawks.

I have shown that the offensive lines that Ben plays behind are traditionally made up of higher draft picks than NE, IND or NO by far.

I have shown that Ben's offenses scored more than 23 points once in his 9 seasons.

I have shown that Ben has taken the Steelers to the playoffs only 4 times in the last 7 years while Flacco is 6 for 6, Manning hasn't missed since 2001, and Brady hasn't missed since 2002.

I have shown that Roethlisberger counts more against the cap than Brees, P Manning and Rodgers do for their teams.

The only thing I agree with you on is that the defense has had to carry the team, finishing top 10 for 13 seasons consecutively while still missing the playoffs frequently.

It is a good thing Ben is not going to win the superbowl this year because both of the times he did he REALLY ****ed up in the offseason. At least we know he won't come in 30 pounds overweight next year.

Guess what? Ben was 0 for 5 in games he threw 40 or more times in this year. Some things never change.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #52
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Never said that. Putting words in my mouth.

I said that I thought that pete74 made a great post.

He was saying that Brady plays dink & dunk... and that we all think Brady is a good QB... and that we all like BB... and we think that BB can be even more successful than he already is. Brady has evolved & improved his game, and BB can do that as well.
They also use a ton of no-huddle, do not predictably call RUTMs or bubble screens, and allow Brady to win games early. And Kraft doesn't go on media tours calling for Brady to "change his game." They support and build around their QB, while the Steelers just cling to tradition and hope Ben bails them out whenever that doesn't work.

Did you watch the video with Bouchette and Dulac I posted in the other thread? Listen at the end when they talk about building an offense around Ben. At the beginning of the season, the Steelers kept 4 WRs, 3 TEs (only 1 good one), and 6 RBs. Plax was only added because of injuries to Brown and Cotchery. That is not setting your QB up for success, that's clinging to outdated tradition.

But no, Ben has to shut up and do what Artie says and like it because he can't be wrong.

Quote:
Reining in, playing close to the vest, and bitching about the offense were not mentioned in his post.

What are you talking about???
Because you have people here talk about how they love this offense and time of possession, then go on to bitch about how Ben can't put up Brady/Manning numbers.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #53
SteelMusic
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 9792

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
So the Steelers 44 pass to 17 run play choice was traditional vs both the Chargers and Cowboys to lose the season?

I have shown that the Steelers pass more than GB, NE, and DEN on a percentage basis.

I have shown that Roethlisberger throws the same number of times as Peyton Manning.

I have shown that the Patriots ran the ball more than any team other than the Seahawks.

I have shown that the offensive lines that Ben plays behind are traditionally made up of higher draft picks than NE, IND or NO by far.

I have shown that Ben's offenses scored more than 23 points once in his 9 seasons.

I have shown that Ben has taken the Steelers to the playoffs only 4 times in the last 7 years while Flacco is 6 for 6, Manning hasn't missed since 2001, and Brady hasn't missed since 2002.

I have shown that Roethlisberger counts more against the cap than Brees, P Manning and Rodgers do for their teams.

The only thing I agree with you on is that the defense has had to carry the team, finishing top 10 for 13 seasons consecutively while still missing the playoffs frequently.

It is a good thing Ben is not going to win the superbowl this year because both of the times he did he REALLY ****ed up in the offseason. At least we know he won't come in 30 pounds overweight next year.

Guess what? Ben was 0 for 5 in games he threw 40 or more times in this year. Some things never change.
BRrrr...them are some cold facts.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #54
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMusic View Post
BRrrr...them are some cold facts.
Mostly irrelevant though. The Steelers running problems haven't been for lack of trying, considering all the failed RUTMs on the first two downs. You also have to keep in mind that bubble screens count as passes and the final two minutes of the half.

Much of their problems are predictability and poor pedigree at RB. New England and Denver run the ball out of the no-huddle at times, which has been very effective. Perhaps the Steelers should take notes instead of stubbornly clinging to tradition.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #55
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Mostly irrelevant though. The Steelers running problems haven't been for lack of trying, considering all the failed RUTMs on the first two downs. You also have to keep in mind that bubble screens count as passes and the final two minutes of the half.

Much of their problems are predictability and poor pedigree at RB. New England and Denver run the ball out of the no-huddle at times, which has been very effective. Perhaps the Steelers should take notes instead of stubbornly clinging to tradition.
I have already sonned you for making this point earlier. Please pay attention to the irrefutable, cold, hard facts as they have obliterated every nonsensical statement you have made.

Thanks in advance.

As I said PREVIOUSLY:

4 teams finished with worse YPC than the Steelers. DAL (23.5), SD (21.9), and ATL (26.2) all had better scoring offenses.

NO was 25th in rushing, gaining only 40 yards more than the Steelers for the year. However, on the strength of Drew Brees they still scored 28.8 ppg (3rd ovr).
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Just went back and looked, and the number is three. One against Philadelphia, another against Cincinnati and the final one against the Giants. The Eagles and Giants games we're also fourth-quarter comebacks.
And the defense choked away games in Oakland and Tennessee.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #57
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
I
4 teams finished with worse YPC than the Steelers. DAL (23.5), SD (21.9), and ATL (26.2) all had better scoring offenses.

NO was 25th in rushing, gaining only 40 yards more than the Steelers for the year. However, on the strength of Drew Brees they still scored 28.8 ppg (3rd ovr).
More to scoring than just offense. NO's defensed forced 26 turnovers and they scored 5 return TDs.

The Steelers defense forced 20 and scored 2 TDs.

They also had Brees for 16 games. That helps.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Brady was 3-4 when he threw 40+ times. Wins against Jac, NYJ, Miami.

Brees was 2-8 when he threw 40+ times.

Rodgers was 1-2 when he threw 40+ times.

Peyton Manning was 2-2, and he's the best ever to play.

Who are these QBs that consistently win when they throw 40+ times?

Ben's ratings when throwing 40+ times this year were 79.7, 123.2, 87.8, 87.9, 93.6. Maybe he's not the only reason they lost all those games?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #59
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,985 Times in 7,596 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
And the defense choked away games in Oakland and Tennessee.
I am BB's biggest fan, and, Yes, the defense was ineffective earlier this year...

...but, in both of those aforementioned games, BB could have sealed the victory with a completed third down pass to Heath Miller.

The difference between starting the season 6-3 and 8-1 is two little passes.

That is how "close" the NFL is.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #60
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,985 Times in 7,596 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
They also use a ton of no-huddle, do not predictably call RUTMs or bubble screens, and allow Brady to win games early. And Kraft doesn't go on media tours calling for Brady to "change his game." They support and build around their QB, while the Steelers just cling to tradition and hope Ben bails them out whenever that doesn't work.

Did you watch the video with Bouchette and Dulac I posted in the other thread? Listen at the end when they talk about building an offense around Ben. At the beginning of the season, the Steelers kept 4 WRs, 3 TEs (only 1 good one), and 6 RBs. Plax was only added because of injuries to Brown and Cotchery. That is not setting your QB up for success, that's clinging to outdated tradition.

But no, Ben has to shut up and do what Artie says and like it because he can't be wrong.

Because you have people here talk about how they love this offense and time of possession, then go on to bitch about how Ben can't put up Brady/Manning numbers.
As pete74 (and many others have mentioned), the Taperiots run more than the Steelers.

Media tours? What are you talking about?

3 TEs... like the Taperiots???

Again, pete74 compared BB to Brady's dink & dunk offense. YOU apparently do not think that BB can handle (or wants to handle) that type of personal development... because, FYI, Brady indeed develops his offense every single year. You are not for that. I, on the other hand, think that BB can always learn to improve his game (as in a league-leading 3rd down efficiency rating this past season).

Bouchette said it... a beat writer. Uh... hmmm. I posted a thread about Greg Cosell, who is an experienced analyst, who said that Haley was calling the right plays... but, you ignored that... you ignored an actual analyst (unbiased, to boot), in favor of Ed Bouchette (who is extremely opinionated). Regardless, we have been over this road far too many times. I say that Art II wanted to protect his QB, which I think he did... and, you will say that you think that the Steelers are playing scared, or playing Marty-ball, or playing close to the vest... or some other cliche of the week. We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether the offense was indeed structured around BB.

Lastly, when, in agreeing with pete74's post, did I (or he) bitch that BB did not put up Brady numbers??? Please, stop putting words in our mouths.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote