Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: The DL dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Ta‘amu is a criminal and should not be a Steeler.

Keisel makes more than Hood, Heyward, Mclendon, Woods and Criminal combined. It's obvious he is not worth that.

Cut Kiesel, Hampton and go with the youngsters.
Criminal or not people deserve another chance after mistakes, If not then why even have prisons or courts, just convict and then execute. I do not like what Vick did, I do not like him even as a player ,but he served his time and like any other person deserves a chance to regain his place in society. I am not a bleeding heart but I believe in fairness, and one mistake should not ruin a persons life if they can change. This holy than thou carp just because its the Steelers is just that, CRAP, we have had more than our share of "criminals". Harrison arrested for assault and mischief , Ward, DUI Santonio disorderly conduct, domestic violence, and possession, Najeh Davenport, Ernie Holmes to mention a few. We have had our share of problem players , Ta'amu has made a grave error in judgment and should be punished but to throw away a possible talent and even worse to turn your back on a person without even knowing the details would be wrong. Convict him, punish him, if his lawyer can broker a deal that he serves little to no time and the Steelers feel they can use him I am all for at least another year to see what happens.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
Criminal or not people deserve another chance after mistakes, If not then why even have prisons or courts, just convict and then execute. I do not like what Vick did, I do not like him even as a player ,but he served his time and like any other person deserves a chance to regain his place in society. I am not a bleeding heart but I believe in fairness, and one mistake should not ruin a persons life if they can change. This holy than thou carp just because its the Steelers is just that, CRAP, we have had more than our share of "criminals". Harrison arrested for assault and mischief , Ward, DUI Santonio disorderly conduct, domestic violence, and possession, Najeh Davenport, Ernie Holmes to mention a few. We have had our share of problem players , Ta'amu has made a grave error in judgment and should be punished but to throw away a possible talent and even worse to turn your back on a person without even knowing the details would be wrong. Convict him, punish him, if his lawyer can broker a deal that he serves little to no time and the Steelers feel they can use him I am all for at least another year to see what happens.
Shhhhhhhh! The only player you're allowed to bash for off-field issues is Ben! All those other guys are off limits!!!!!!!!
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

A 3-4 is designed for 2 gap DE's and a NT. The majority of the NFL plays a 3-4 now and for fans to want our D linemen to play 1 gap responsibility shows they know very little about how a 3-4 is played.

In a 3-4 the stars making all the plays need to be the LB's. Harrison is now injured and on the decline. Foote is on the decline and Woodley played below par all season. The D line is fine with Hood, Heyward, Keisel, McLendon, Ta'amu and Fangopu going forward.

Adding players like Barkavious Mingo, Shane Skov, Kyle Van Noy and Sean Spence will improve the defense going forward. Just need to see how the draft and Spence rehab goes.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Both Heyward and McLendon generated more pressure than Hampton and Keisel when they were on the field. Out of some misguided sense of loyalty, LeBeau decided to play his aging veterans over the younger guys who, on tape, were more effective.

Our DL is fine if we start the young guys.
Once again, this isnt a Lebeau issue. The HEAD coach makes the final decisions. That is why he is the damn head coach. If I am a head coach and I see two players playing head and shoulders better then another two, then you play those damn players. This is professional football, not high school football.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Once again, this isnt a Lebeau issue. The HEAD coach makes the final decisions. That is why he is the damn head coach. If I am a head coach and I see two players playing head and shoulders better then another two, then you play those damn players. This is professional football, not high school football.
Tomlin usually defers to LeBeau though in matters pertaining to the defense. He's a very hands off coach.

Does anyone really think Tomlin would be allowed to fire LeBeau if he wanted the defense to go in a different direction?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Yeah there is no DLine dilemma. Ziggy Hood is fine and I don't understand how people still can't grasp that he's not supposed to ring up 10+ sacks a season. Mclendon will be fine at NT and Heyward has looked alright when he's on the field. And if there's one thing we all know by now it's that the vets on this team are never unseated until they're playing on their last possible thread, just because they haven't been unseated doesn't mean the young guys are disappointing.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
nikstar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15652

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
You're not wrong but you're going to get crucified for saying we need a new defensive coordinator. LeBeau is treated like he's a god, despite having a very predictable and very ineffective defensive
scheme that he's clinging onto in hopes it'll keep working.

We need to use the talent that our guys bring and not assign them to fill gaps and, as you put it, neuter their talent. You know who doesn't have this kind of defense and knows how to build a defense around the talent of his guys? Lovie Smith. That's all I'm saying.
I definitely think Tomlin has all the power in the world to fire Lebeau if he wanted to but why in the hell would he want to?

It's not like we've had the best overall defense back to back in the last 2 years with Lebeau...Oh wait we do. Championship games? Superbowls? Check, and check. Great defenses with lots of turnovers? He's called the plays for those. Great defenses with practically no turnovers? He's called the plays for those too. Helping coordinate questionably the best Steelers defense of all time and statistically the 2nd best (2008)? He did that.

So yes let's fire our D-coordinator who is literally by all accounts of measurements both currently and in the recent past #1 in the league. He must be predictable and ineffective. He's only the best

Steelers have addressed the Dline with recent picks in the last couple of years and it's clear the usual faces are getting older and the newer guys will take more snaps. That's just progress. As for changing defensive philosophy's, maybe sometime, with the right personnel. But I truly believe these guys were drafted to continue the trend of the 3-4 defensive system.

Lebeau is a living legend, but that's not why he's the defensive coordinator for the Steelers. He is defensive coordinator for the Steelers because he is the best person for the job
nikstar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikstar For This Useful Post:
Blonde Bomber (01-10-2013), lloydwoodson (01-05-2013), SteelersRush (05-29-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Shhhhhhhh! The only player you're allowed to bash for off-field issues is Ben! All those other guys are off limits!!!!!!!!
I agree with this comment. You should not be bringing up off-field issues on this forum. Keep the talk on football.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
fer522 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

- Teams used to run at Keisel to stay away from A Smith. Keisel was gotten MUCH better against the run. Give time for Hood to continue to improve- he made a lot more plays in 2012 than he was given credit for.

- LeBeau does scheme around his personnel. That is why pressure came from Timmons and Foote this year- Woodley didn't get it done and Harrison has been injured.

- The defense has been top 10 for the last 13 seasons not sure how much it needs to be changed.

- Turnovers will come when players in this defense make plays. Polamalu and Harrison generated 30 turnovers in 2008 and 2010 when the Steelers were near the top of the league.

- This draft will be defense-heavy including a first round pick that will address either the OLB or S position and set the D up to continue using the same philosophy based on having the same strengths in personnel.

- Heyward, Hood and McLendon have become the most productive DL members. Hardly a dilemma.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
fer522 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar View Post
So yes let's fire our D-coordinator who is literally by all accounts of measurements both currently and in the recent past #1 in the league. He must be predictable and ineffective. He's only the best
Quote me where I said 'fire him'. I didn't say fire him, I said that his scheme is ineffective and predictable which, by players admission , is. Rivers and Romo both go for over 300 yards against our secondary? That's bullshit and shouldn't happen. Oh, it's funny, both of those guys are absolute turnover machines and throw picks like there's no tomorrow, but our secondary didn't get a single interception. Our defense didn't force a single turnover in those games.

Something's gotta give. Did it work 5 years ago? Sure. However, it started to fall apart in the Super Bowl against the Packers and we just haven't rebounded. Someone that knows how to use the talent that is given to them and generate turnovers and sacks would be appreciated.

However, all that said, I wouldn't hate it if he was around next year. I mean, pinning the lack of turnovers on LeBeau can only be credited so far and at some point, the players have to step up and be accountable as well. If around next year, his scheme needs to be updated and dusted off. Giving up all those yards to two underwhelming and borderline bad Quarterbacks isn't acceptable.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote