Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #121
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,260 Times in 1,107 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I am a big fan of Skov.

I mocked him to the Steelers (R3) since September (I watch quite a bit of Stanford football).

Do you think he goes R2? I think that he will last until R3.
For years I have really liked what Tony Pauline sees in players. most of the time our assessments are similar (Tyson Jackson for instance). I actually like Van Noy better for the Steelers.

Pauline has a 2nd round grade on Skov and a later round grade on Van Noy right now.

Shayne Skov, LB -- Stanford: Skov was graded as a potential first-round pick at the start of the 2011 season before a knee injury during the third game ended his season. His return to form was slow this seaso, yet Skov has gotten stronger each week. His performance during the upset victory over Oregon was nothing less than dominant. The ferocious linebacker led the Cardinal with 10 tackles and single-handedly stopped an Oregon scoring opportunity in the first quarter. While the draft world is abuzz about the prospects of middle linebacker Manti Te'o being a top 12 choice, many scouts feel Skov in Round 2 could be better value.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2H84a9oEK
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #122
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
For years I have really liked what Tony Pauline sees in players. most of the time our assessments are similar (Tyson Jackson for instance). I actually like Van Noy better for the Steelers.

Pauline has a 2nd round grade on Skov and a later round grade on Van Noy right now.

Shayne Skov, LB -- Stanford: Skov was graded as a potential first-round pick at the start of the 2011 season before a knee injury during the third game ended his season. His return to form was slow this seaso, yet Skov has gotten stronger each week. His performance during the upset victory over Oregon was nothing less than dominant. The ferocious linebacker led the Cardinal with 10 tackles and single-handedly stopped an Oregon scoring opportunity in the first quarter. While the draft world is abuzz about the prospects of middle linebacker Manti Te'o being a top 12 choice, many scouts feel Skov in Round 2 could be better value.

Van Noy going back to school

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...eason.html.csp

good website on those delcaring or returning http://www.gbnreport.com/juniorscoreboard.html
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #123
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking mingo or Jordan. Mingo to me doesn't not have the strength the play against nfl caliber lineman he is extremely explosive but will get pushed around in the run game I believe and I don't know if I would happy with mingo.

Jordan is a little raw but has a high ceiling I wouldn't mind the Jordan pick but there is spmething I just don't like about him for some reason idk.

I see a guy like okafor from Texas being a much better nfl player than those two. He has both speed and power when rushing the passer and holds his own against the run. If you watch him he uses he's hands very well to get past lineman. Although 17 might be to high for him, I would rather him be a steeler than those two if you go olb first round.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #124
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,106 Times in 4,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I've seen a lot of mocks with us taking mingo or Jordan. Mingo to me doesn't not have the strength the play against nfl caliber lineman he is extremely explosive but will get pushed around in the run game I believe and I don't know if I would happy with mingo.

Jordan is a little raw but has a high ceiling I wouldn't mind the Jordan pick but there is spmething I just don't like about him for some reason idk.

I see a guy like okafor from Texas being a much better nfl player than those two. He has both speed and power when rushing the passer and holds his own against the run. If you watch him he uses he's hands very well to get past lineman. Although 17 might be to high for him, I would rather him be a steeler than those two if you go olb first round.
Mingo's strength is a little bit of an issue, but his speed makes him enough of an asset for him to start over anyone we have. He'll bulk up eventually but he's quick and agile enough to make plays until he's strong enough.

Not liking Jordan because you 'don't know' isn't legitimate, sorry. There are things to not like, but you gotta find something specific that we can talk about.

Okafor is a very good player and he'll have a very good career. However, he doesn't have the speed or potential that Jordan and Mingo have. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't show elite skills or ability and doesn't excel in any area.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #125
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,916 Times in 8,693 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

While I had the round incorrect, I had the right players. In September, I was thinking:
R2: Elam
R3: Skov

Now, it looks like, if the Steelers want those two players, it would have to look more like this:
R1: Elam*
R2: Skov

*(Maybe trading back, because while I like Elam, I think that 17 is too early to take him.)

Regardless of reality, I hope it goes like this (with possible trade ups in both R2 & R3):
R1: Jordan/Mingo
R2: Elam
R3: Skov
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #126
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Mingo's strength is a little bit of an issue, but his speed makes him enough of an asset for him to start over anyone we have. He'll bulk up eventually but he's quick and agile enough to make plays until he's strong enough.

Not liking Jordan because you 'don't know' isn't legitimate, sorry. There are things to not like, but you gotta find something specific that we can talk about.

Okafor is a very good player and he'll have a very good career. However, he doesn't have the speed or potential that Jordan and Mingo have. He's a solid prospect, but he doesn't show elite skills or ability and doesn't excel in any area.

Dion Jordan will be an NFL bust unless he is put in a 4-3 defense and only comes in on 3rd downs. He can not play the run AT ALL. I will put a vid up if I can find it again of him getting blocked by a 5'9 WR on a run play. (Yes, he is athletic enough in space to cover). Jordan is good in space but TERRIBLE against blockers. He can not play 3-4 OLB in the Steelers defense.

LSU defensive players are better coached. I like both Mingo as an OLB and Kevin Minter as an ILB. I don't like Eric Reid I think he is Taylor Mays-lite. Reid is slow to react to plays and is not a fluid player. Reid stands in one spot until he figures out what is going on (which takes him a while) then runs in a straight line to the ball.

Shayne Skov is slow. Look how bad Mauleuga looked today against the Texans. He got burned all day by TEs and is a huge reason why the Bengals lost the game. Larry Foote is faster than Shayne Skov. Skov is the antithesis to Sean Spence- I don't see him as an option either.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #127
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,106 Times in 4,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Dion Jordan will be an NFL bust unless he is put in a 4-3 defense and only comes in on 3rd downs. He can not play the run AT ALL. I will put a vid up if I can find it again of him getting blocked by a 5'9 WR on a run play. (Yes, he is athletic enough in space to cover). Jordan is good in space but TERRIBLE against blockers. He can not play 3-4 OLB in the Steelers defense.

LSU defensive players are better coached. I like both Mingo as an OLB and Kevin Minter as an ILB. I don't like Eric Reid I think he is Taylor Mays-lite. Reid is slow to react to plays and is not a fluid player. Reid stands in one spot until he figures out what is going on (which takes him a while) then runs in a straight line to the ball.

Shayne Skov is slow. Look how bad Mauleuga looked today against the Texans. He got burned all day by TEs and is a huge reason why the Bengals lost the game. Larry Foote is faster than Shayne Skov. Skov is the antithesis to Sean Spence- I don't see him as an option either.
It's funny - every time I post something I come back to the thread, and holy shit, LloydWoodson has disagreed with me. Well, that doesn't surprise me.

So, you're lecturing me about a guy I've seen every game of but you admitted you 'don't watch college football'? No, that shit isn't happening right now. If you don't watch college ball, don't tell me what prospects are worth something. He isn't 'terrible against blockers' and needs to put on size and build strength - something I've already said.

Everything you just said about Jordan also applies to Barkevious Mingo. He isn't strong enough to disengage blockers but has the speed to get around them. Is this a joke? I feel like I'm living in the fucking twilight zone right now.

Here's a tip: if you don't watch college ball, don't come in here and add your two cents based on YouTube videos.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #128
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Mingo strength is a big factor at the next level tackles will eat him up in the run game. Florida had tremendous success at running the ball to his side. Dj flunked bama tackle who isn't know for his pass protection shut him down. For someone who is one dimensional isn't worth our pick at 17. Whatever team he goes to nfl teams should run at him and have plenty of success.

Jordan is in the same boat. He doesn't use his hands well on blockers and when he gets locked on to he struggles to shed off blockers. He relies on his speed and athleticism to much and doesn't process much else when he rushes.

I see and know they both have potential but I'm not sure i would want draft someone at 17 hoping they get stronger to be able to take on blockers.

Okafor excels at both his bull rush and speed rush and uses his hands extremely well to get around blockers and has multiple push rushing moves. And sites that list prospects and have 40 times on them (given I don't know where they get them but none the less has some credibility to it, so take it with a grain of salt) hav mingo in the 4.6 and Jordan 4.6 4.7and okafor 4.7.

Again I think 17 might be to high for okafor as well I just see him being a lot better prospect who isn't raw.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #129
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Mingo strength is a big factor at the next level tackles will eat him up in the run game. Florida had tremendous success at running the ball to his side. Dj flunked bama tackle who isn't know for his pass protection shut him down. For someone who is one dimensional isn't worth our pick at 17. Whatever team he goes to nfl teams should run at him and have plenty of success.

Jordan is in the same boat. He doesn't use his hands well on blockers and when he gets locked on to he struggles to shed off blockers. He relies on his speed and athleticism to much and doesn't process much else when he rushes.

I see and know they both have potential but I'm not sure i would want draft someone at 17 hoping they get stronger to be able to take on blockers.

Okafor excels at both his bull rush and speed rush and uses his hands extremely well to get around blockers and has multiple push rushing moves. And sites that list prospects and have 40 times on them (given I don't know where they get them but none the less has some credibility to it, so take it with a grain of salt) hav mingo in the 4.6 and Jordan and okafor 4.7.

Again I think 17 might be to high for okafor as well I just see him being a lot better prospect who isn't raw.
I also like Okafor better ... He's like a Woodley clone ... and with them both coming off the edge it would Collapse pockets on QBs, at least that's my 2 cents ...

I have questions about his ability to drop back in coverage though
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #130
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I also like Okafor better ... He's like a Woodley clone ... and with them both coming off the edge it would Collapse pockets on QBs, at least that's my 2 cents ...

I have questions about his ability to drop back in coverage though
Yes that's the one question on him is his coverage but most of the time when Woodley drops n coverage it's mostly a zone to the flat of shallow middle.