Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #21
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Tomlin: Stilted offense was Steelers’ ‘Achilles’ heel’

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersforever58 View Post
"Roethlisberger has played on five teams that led the league in total defense. Imagine how many Super Bowls Tom Brady could win if he played with a dominant defense."

Maybe a better question would be how many Super Bowls would Brady have won playing in this same system with this offensive line? It's not as if the patriots defenses were second rate. I am pretty sure they were top 10 for the three super bowl victory years.
Tom Brady did have a good defense. It is extremely rare that a team wins a superbowl without a top 10 defense.

The Steelers have fielded offensive lines with higher draft picks than NE, IND, or NE since 2004. Brees and P Manning both won superbowls with multiple UDFA and only 1st round pick on their lines. It is not fair to fault the offensive line for a quarterback who holds the ball too long and demands a "big play" offense.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Tomlin: Stilted offense was Steelers’ ‘Achilles’ heel’

the argument is probably total defense v. takeaways - if you're a lucky fan - your team is tops in both!

Funny enough though - and I could be wrong - Ints for the regular season weren't exactly an indicator as to who was looking "the best" and who was a real playoff team
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

First playoff team visible was Colts at #6 with Ints.(tied with Browns). Then Bengals at #12. Falcons at #19 and so on.

Leaders in total sacks were a bit better of an indicator of a playoff team with 4 teams in top 10 in sacks. Forced fumbles was the best indicator I found so far with 7 playoff teams in top 10 in forcing fumbles.

I'd say getting to the QB and dislodging the ball are #1 priorities for the defense next season - the INTs have to be secondary to the pass-rush and disrupting immediately at line of scrimmage

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote