Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,504 Times in 9,932 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
That is fair. There are 3 tackles and only 2 spots. Maybe it is time for the Gilbert and Adams era.
Or... maybe Gilbert switches to LG.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #42
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,789 Times in 5,671 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers Running Game Suffered The Most In 2012 Without Mike Adams On The Field

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

It certainly wasn't a great season for the Pittsburgh Steelers when it came to running the football in 2012. In fact, it was a down right lousy one. They ended the season with 1,537 net yards rushing and that was the lowest output since 2003 when they rushed for 1,488 yards.

The Steelers offensive line once again suffered through several injuries in 2012 on their way to starting 7 different line combinations over the course of the season and that certainly played a role in the running game being lousy. The hardest position hit on the line this season was right tackle where Marcus Gilbert started 5 games there while rookies Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum started 6 and 5 respectively. If that wasn't enough, guard Ramon Foster was forced to close out the season finale against the Cleveland Browns at right tackle after Beachum left the game with a concussion.

Adams, who suffered an ankle injury in the Week 12 loss to the Browns, was perhaps the biggest loss the Steelers had on their offensive line when it came to running the football in 2012. During the season the Steelers rushed for 4.56 yards per carry on plays when Adams was out on the field as opposed to 3.76 yards per carry when he wasn't. That's a .80 difference if you are scoring at home.

When Gilbert was on the field the Steelers rushed for 2.78 yards per carry and 3.82 when he wasn't. With Beachum it wasn't much better as the team rushed for 3.44 yards per carry with him on the field and 3.80 when he wasn't.

In the 5 full games that Adams started and played every snap in the Steelers rushed for 694 yards on 147 rushes for a very robust 4.72 yards per rush. The team of course went 4-1 in those 5 games with the lone loss coming against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 11. Keep in mind that they didn't have the services of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in that game.

Adams certainly had his problems in the pass protection department as a rookie, but it is hard to overlook the difference that he made in the run blocking department. This will be something that the Steelers can build on moving into 2013 when Adams is projected to be the starting left tackle if veteran Max Starks is not re-signed.

The Steelers have to find a way to run the ball better in 2013 and Adams certainly will be expected to play a big role in that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...-on-the-field/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers Running Game Suffered The Most In 2012 Without Mike Adams On The Field

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 by Dave Bryan

It certainly wasn't a great season for the Pittsburgh Steelers when it came to running the football in 2012. In fact, it was a down right lousy one. They ended the season with 1,537 net yards rushing and that was the lowest output since 2003 when they rushed for 1,488 yards.

The Steelers offensive line once again suffered through several injuries in 2012 on their way to starting 7 different line combinations over the course of the season and that certainly played a role in the running game being lousy. The hardest position hit on the line this season was right tackle where Marcus Gilbert started 5 games there while rookies Mike Adams and Kelvin Beachum started 6 and 5 respectively. If that wasn't enough, guard Ramon Foster was forced to close out the season finale against the Cleveland Browns at right tackle after Beachum left the game with a concussion.

Adams, who suffered an ankle injury in the Week 12 loss to the Browns, was perhaps the biggest loss the Steelers had on their offensive line when it came to running the football in 2012. During the season the Steelers rushed for 4.56 yards per carry on plays when Adams was out on the field as opposed to 3.76 yards per carry when he wasn't. That's a .80 difference if you are scoring at home.

When Gilbert was on the field the Steelers rushed for 2.78 yards per carry and 3.82 when he wasn't. With Beachum it wasn't much better as the team rushed for 3.44 yards per carry with him on the field and 3.80 when he wasn't.

In the 5 full games that Adams started and played every snap in the Steelers rushed for 694 yards on 147 rushes for a very robust 4.72 yards per rush. The team of course went 4-1 in those 5 games with the lone loss coming against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 11. Keep in mind that they didn't have the services of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in that game.

Adams certainly had his problems in the pass protection department as a rookie, but it is hard to overlook the difference that he made in the run blocking department. This will be something that the Steelers can build on moving into 2013 when Adams is projected to be the starting left tackle if veteran Max Starks is not re-signed.

The Steelers have to find a way to run the ball better in 2013 and Adams certainly will be expected to play a big role in that.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...-on-the-field/
I dont think its as simple as this article, that Adams was so instrumental in the run game. I think when Adams was at RT, the Steelers mostly had Starks, Colon, Pouncey, Foster in the line with him. That is a solid O line if healthy.

I am really expecting to see Gilbert and Adams at the OT spots, I dont know which, but I actually expect to see Gilbert at LT. Starks likely will get paid elsewhere and we are going to see Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams, Gilbert penciled in come training camp.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #44
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

I worry about Adams at LT protecting Ben's blind side. He really struggled against the pass this year. However the Steelers staff clearly has Adams marked down as LT and Gilbert at RT.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #45
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
I worry about Adams at LT protecting Ben's blind side. He really struggled against the pass this year. However the Steelers staff clearly has Adams marked down as LT and Gilbert at RT.

You do know he was a rookie right?

Add some experience to the two rookies that played on our O-line this past year.. along with Pouncey and Gilbert... I think we will have a very good O-line in the near future.

BTW... everyone is so concerned about losing Wallace. I've seen Brady and Manning play at very high levels with less then Sanders and Brown. Why do we need Wallace so bad? We can't replace Wallace? If our offense can't handle losing Heath Miller and Wallace next year... then I'll say it.. Ben is not so good after all.

IMO our running game needs a healthy O-line (obviously) and a better RB. Our RB's showed flashes of being starters... but none of them could do it consistently... that makes me think someone with more talent could excel on our team....especially with a healthy O-line.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #46
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
You do know he was a rookie right?

Add some experience to the two rookies that played on our O-line this past year.. along with Pouncey and Gilbert... I think we will have a very good O-line in the near future.

BTW... everyone is so concerned about losing Wallace. I've seen Brady and Manning play at very high levels with less then Sanders and Brown. Why do we need Wallace so bad? We can't replace Wallace? If our offense can't handle losing Heath Miller and Wallace next year... then I'll say it.. Ben is not so good after all.

IMO our running game needs a healthy O-line (obviously) and a better RB. Our RB's showed flashes of being starters... but none of them could do it consistently... that makes me think someone with more talent could excel on our team....especially with a healthy O-line.
I dont think we will pay Wallace and he will leave. Not that big of a deal as he wasnt a huge factor this season anyways.

As for Brady and Manning doing better with lesser receivers............they make guys like Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, Julian Edelmann, Troy Brown, etc look like good WR's. Ben Roethlisberger does not do that with anybody that I can recall. He's a top tier QB, but not the kind of guy that makes players around him better performers.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #47
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
You're right. Ben is not as good as Peyton and Brady and there is no shame about that. Ben is going to be an all-time great and HOF QB. But Brady and Peyton are all-time top 10 QBs (or even top 5). It's like saying Franco Harris was not so good because he's not Jim Brown.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #48
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
You're right. Ben is not as good as Peyton and Brady and there is no shame about that. Ben is going to be an all-time great and HOF QB. But Brady and Peyton are all-time top 10 QBs (or even top 5). It's like saying Franco Harris was not so good because he's not Jim Brown.
The point is... Ben does not need 2 probowl WR's to run this offense successfully. If he does, then he's no better then Matt Stafford. Which brings me to my other point... Losing Wallace is no big deal. Draft a WR in the 3rd round and be done with it. We've still got speed with out Wallace.

We need a RB WAY more then we need Wallace.

Off topic sort of....I'm assuming Heath will be on the IR starting next year...doesn't that mean his salary does not count against our cap?
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #49
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Of course I knew that Adams was a rookie and I fully expect him to be better next year against the pass(he's already a pretty good run blocker). My point was I would still feel more comfortable with Starks at LT for one more year.
I actually root extra hard for Adams, because he's from Mercer County where I live.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #50
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
The point is... Ben does not need 2 probowl WR's to run this offense successfully. If he does, then he's no better then Matt Stafford. Which brings me to my other point... Losing Wallace is no big deal. Draft a WR in the 3rd round and be done with it. We've still got speed with out Wallace.

We need a RB WAY more then we need Wallace.

Off topic sort of....I'm assuming Heath will be on the IR starting next year...doesn't that mean his salary does not count against our cap?
I agree, dont need to break the bank on Wallace. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery are a good enough start. I like Texas A& M Ryan Swope in the 3rd or 4th possibly.

RB's can be found anywhere, we need to get off the notion that we need a stable of bruisers like Redman and Dwyer. Anybody see the late round rookies that the Colts and Redskins started at RB this weekend?

If Heath is under contract, I think he counts against the cap. Expect to see Paulson and maybe David Johnson to start the season. I wish we kept Saunders and released Pope.