Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,965 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Steelers’ dollars go twice as much to defense

Robinson: Steelers’ dollars go to defense

By Tribune-Review
Published: Sunday, January 6, 2013

James Harrison and Troy Polamalu are the faces of the Steelers‘ defense, a pair of well-known and well-paid players who have 12 Pro Bowl appearances, three Super Bowl trips and two Defensive Player of the Year awards between them.

They‘re also the primary reason the NFL‘s No. 1-ranked defense is one of the NFL‘s best-compensated.

The offense? With the exception of Ben Roethlisberger, they‘re the guys who are hoping they don‘t get stuck with the check at the team dinner.

While most NFL teams devote roughly an equal amount of salary cap space to their offense and defense, the Steelers spent nearly twice as much on defense ($57.7 million) as they did offense ($30.3 million, or about half of what the Bears paid).

Only the Colts — who spent a league-low $22.7 million on offense — had a similar disparity, according to spotrac.com, a sports contract website.

Roethlisberger accounted for almost half of the offense‘s compensation — $9,895,000, based on his $900,000 salary and various prorated bonuses, including the prorated signing bonus from his $102 million contract.

If that sounds a bit skewed, it‘s not. The AFC top-seeded Broncos spent $41 million on just three players (Peyton Manning, Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey), yet they could do so because they rolled over $26 million of previously unused cap space into this season.

Why are the Colts‘ offensive salaries so low, especially for a playoff team? They paid a massive $38.6 million, or about one-third of their $121 million cap space, to players no longer with the team, including Manning, who still counts $10.4 million against their cap. Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney counts $19 million, the most of any player.

The Steelers devoted $10 million of cap room to players who didn‘t wear their uniform in 2012 — even the bumblebee one. Much of that went to former lineman Chris Kemoeatu ($2.869 million), Hines Ward ($1.2 million) and James Farrior ($1 million).

And former Southern Illinois quarterback Chris Dieker, who spent about two weeks in the 2011 training camp? He cost $667 of cap space.

Of the 10 Steelers who counted the most against the cap, only two are on offense: Roethlisberger and No. 10 Rashard Mendenhall ($3.049 million). Numbers 2-8 are defensive players: Polamalu, Harrison, Casey Hampton, LaMarr Woodley, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote.

Polamalu accounted for $9.1 million of cap room, Harrison for $9 million. No one else except Hampton ($4.967 million) counted for even half of what Roethlisberger, Polamalu or Harrison did.

On defense, the Steelers spent $24.1 million for linebackers (second most to the Jets‘ $27.2 million), $19.7 million on the secondary and $13.8 million on linemen. On offense, they devoted $11 million to quarterbacks (compared to the Broncos‘ $19.6 million), $5 million to running backs, $5.4 million to wide receivers, $1.3 million to tight ends and $7.6 million to linemen.

Only the Bills spent less on their offensive line, but the Steelers have a number of young linemen who are still on their first contracts and aren‘t making even $1 million per season.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2HE79XRsl
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,107 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Steelers’ dollars go twice as much to defense

interesting read. I wonder how much that has to do with how many points we score?
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

At the start of 2012:
Avg age of Steelers offensive starters - 25.5
Avg age of Steelers defensive starters - 30.1

This just in...

Veteran contracts cost more than rookie contracts.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
The_Joker
Team Owner

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,243 Times in 663 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
At the start of 2012:
Avg age of Steelers offensive starters - 25.5
Avg age of Steelers defensive starters - 30.1

This just in...

Veteran contracts cost more than rookie contracts.
Yup. I think we need to keep almost all of our vets, but they all can leave if they ask for to much money. And that means restructuring if they want to stay (Keisel, Woodley, ect.)
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Yup. I think we need to keep almost all of our vets, but they all can leave if they ask for to much money. And that means restructuring if they want to stay (Keisel, Woodley, ect.)
Keisel has to come back next year! Keisel is a beast!

Am I right?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Woodley will cost The Steelers over $13 million next season! That is a ridiculous amount of money for his lack of production. He needs to restructure or go, but alas, The Steelers will still take a big cap hit on him if they cut him.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
Woodley will cost The Steelers over $13 million next season! That is a ridiculous amount of money for his lack of production. He needs to restructure or go, but alas, The Steelers will still take a big cap hit on him if they cut him.
Cutting Woodley is a step too far.

Woodley does deserve an enormous amount of criticism for the defense's struggling this year. He is one of the few Steelers you won't catch me standing up for. Proceed
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
OliverPoop
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24550

Yeah but this is Pittsburgh and defense is all that matters!

DUERRR!!!
OliverPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,965 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverPoop View Post

DUERRR!!!
???
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I would be really surprised if Woodley isn't asked to restructure his contract. I'd also be really surprised to see us keep Jerricho Cotchery, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, Max Starks, and James Harrison. Next year I truly believe will be the final season for Ryan Clark and possibly Troy Polamalu. Soon our team is going to be EXTREMELY young. Keisel imo, may be gone after next season but I don't see them cutting him this season.