Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #31
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: We could lose 4 key veterans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Casey Hampton
Larry Foote
James Harrison
Max Starks

Anyone else think that if we lose 3/4 of them we could be hurt realllly bad?

I want to keep Lewis/C.Allen and such, but we need to keep our leadership. Remember what happened to us when we lost Ward and Smith?
We've lost better players before... I think we'll be fine... it's not like the front office didn't know this was coming. So I have to think they are prepared as always.

I like the looks of our O-line going into next year. I highly doubt we will lose Harrison... just my suspicion. Wouldn't shock me if Starks sticks around either.

Expect Wallace and Mendy to be gone though.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #32
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
If Stevenson hasnt shown he has earned a shot by now and Sean Spence was a 3rd round pick last year..........Sylvester is nothing more than a special teamer(like I said this preseason).

Hampton, Foote, Starks can all walk. Harrison should be restructured because we really dont have much behind him other than Worilds and Chris Carter. If Steelers let Harrison go, then they draft an OLB high and deal with Woodley and Worilds at OLB.....which isnt great.

Larry Foote could sign for vet minimum and backup Spence and Timmons, but I really hope he doesnt start next season.
And when Harrison got cut by the Steelers, then cut by the Ravens and re-signed by the Steelers it means he is a bad football player right?

I mean... the infallible Steelers FO never makes a mistake right?

Guess what? Sly blew his knee out in August 2012 as he was competing to be the starting ILB. Maybe he would have beaten Foote out who knows.

Foote is still starting because he is a 10 year veteran who knows the defense better than anyone and he is a sure tackler in gaps. Foote is terrible in coverage and in the open field where Sly would excel- freeing up Timmons to blitz more often or play spy.

Sly has only 22 tackles for his career... and he has forced 4 fumbles.

This is a team that is known for favoring veteran players so don't pretend a young player sitting is a condemnation of their talents.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
And when Harrison got cut by the Steelers, then cut by the Ravens and re-signed by the Steelers it means he is a bad football player right?

I mean... the infallible Steelers FO never makes a mistake right?

Guess what? Sly blew his knee out in August 2012 as he was competing to be the starting ILB. Maybe he would have beaten Foote out who knows.

Foote is still starting because he is a 10 year veteran who knows the defense better than anyone and he is a sure tackler in gaps. Foote is terrible in coverage and in the open field where Sly would excel- freeing up Timmons to blitz more often or play spy.

Sly has only 22 tackles for his career... and he has forced 4 fumbles.

This is a team that is known for favoring veteran players so don't pretend a young player sitting is a condemnation of their talents.
Sylvester plays too high, he overruns plays because of his high center of gravity and to me looks like he would be a better OLB. He was a late round pick and somewhat of a mismatch of skills and size for ILB. He was a project that could at least play special teams well.

I dont see him as being anything more than a special teamer and if he had any development he would have got his chance by now.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #34
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

I'd keep Harrison if he takes a pay cut, and I'd resign Starks. Foote is awful. Weak, slow, soft. I don't care about tackle stats when they come 8 yards downfield.

If he's starting on our D next year, we're in trouble.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #35
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

It is always funny reading posts of ppl who obviously do not follow the players, cbrunn, harrison had six sacks, but if you followed the team you would know he had knee surgery in the preseason and wasnt even 100% by the end of it, so no he wasnt really on the field, but if you recall nobody "stepped up" to take his place before he returned now did they? So basically a 50% harrison was better than everyone else . . .
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Sylvester plays too high, he overruns plays because of his high center of gravity and to me looks like he would be a better OLB. He was a late round pick and somewhat of a mismatch of skills and size for ILB. He was a project that could at least play special teams well.

I dont see him as being anything more than a special teamer and if he had any development he would have got his chance by now.
You know what you are probably right. Sly hasn't taken that starting job and made it his and by all accounts Foote won that job before Sly was injured in training camp. It is a shame because Sly is a great athlete. I am still hoping Sly wins the job in the offseason but its likely wishful thinking.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote